Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
2-3 Million left in Cap Space?
(03-10-2017, 11:32 AM)Okeana Wrote: What they should do is require that all cap space is used by a team before Revenue sharing kicks in.

On that, I can agree.....and without Hobson hocus pocus numbers to say they spent those dollars.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So someone answer this for me. When all the dust is settled and we've paid everyone, rookies, extensions, etc and we roll into the offseason with still about 10 million left of cap space. Then the league says you can only roll over 6 million into next seasons cap, what happens to the other 4 million? Does it go into Mikes pockets or do we lose it?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Scary thing is imagine if they (Bengals) are right about this with an underwhelming roster already at cap limit.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
It is insulting to the fans. Somehow they think that we either cannot do simple math or do not have access to the internet and the independent sites which do the math for us.

Yesterday I told my wife about losing Whit and Zeitler. Her response "can we finally root for a team that is good and cares about winning"?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:58 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So someone answer this for me. When all the dust is settled and we've paid everyone, rookies, extensions, etc and we roll into the offseason with still about 10 million left of cap space. Then the league says you can only roll over 6 million into next seasons cap, what happens to the other 4 million? Does it go into Mikes pockets or do we lose it?

I think my real question is, after crunching the numbers why are they rolling over more like $12-13m? The Bengals stated they're not using the rollover from last year for this year, so that's $6.5-6.6m that I'm guessing they will roll over again. To be at the self imposed cap they keep talking about, there's still another $6m or so unaccounted for. So are they planning on trying to rollover in excess of $12m for next year?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 04:08 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It is insulting to the fans.  Somehow they think that we either cannot do simple math or do not have access to the internet and the independent sites which do the math for us.

Yesterday I told my wife about losing Whit and Zeitler.  Her response "can we finally root for a team that is good and cares about winning"?

......and isn't she from Brazil?  Oh my.....how stupid are we?LMAO LMAO LMAO

Reply/Quote
Don't worry, we good.
[Image: Screen_Shot_2015-05-12_at_3.31.31_PM.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:58 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So someone answer this for me. When all the dust is settled and we've paid everyone, rookies, extensions, etc and we roll into the offseason with still about 10 million left of cap space. Then the league says you can only roll over 6 million into next seasons cap, what happens to the other 4 million? Does it go into Mikes pockets or do we lose it?

What do you think? Why do you think this happens every year. Browns pockets get bigger and bigger.
Reply/Quote
I don't want to hear the whole "Oh we don't have enough money to sign players".

The Eagles had $11 million in cap space. Meanwhile, they come out with Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith, and Chance Warmack.
What did they do for that to happen? They cut Conner Barwin. Saves them a little over $7 million.

Or look at the Ravens. They had $10 million. Yet re-sign Brandon Williams to the highest contract for a NT and also signs Tony Jefferson.
What did they do for this to happen? They cut Dumervil, Lewis, and Wright. Dumervil gave them $8 million alone.

Meanwhile we still have Maualuga and Pacman on our team. But even then, we still have around the same numbers as those two teams AFTER signing our own guys.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 04:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: ......and isn't she from Brazil?  Oh my.....how stupid are we?LMAO LMAO LMAO

Yep, my Brasilian bombshell!  What's funny is that eight years ago she knew absolutely nothing about football, today she knows more than some fans...

This does not apply to most of the people on this board, but I've been reading through Cincy Jungle posts on FB the last couple days and am amazed at how many people tow the Mike Brown/company line.  I've always wondered if there is anyone who actually buys the BS that Hobson puts out... turns out there are a lot Sad
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 07:11 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Yep, my Brasilian bombshell!  What's funny is that eight years ago she knew absolutely nothing about football, today she knows more than some fans...

This does not apply to most of the people on this board, but I've been reading through Cincy Jungle posts on FB the last couple days and am amazed at how many people tow the Mike Brown/company line.  I've always wondered if there is anyone who actually buys the BS that Hobson puts out... turns out there are a lot Sad

That's sad.  

Yeah, she learns quickly, that was my point.  We all must be the biggest buncha dumbasses ever!  LMAO :andy:

Reply/Quote
The only thing I really listen to Hobson on is the salary cap. Yes, sometimes the Bengals spend more than they tell him to say, but not often. If he says we're only spending 1/3 of our cap, you better believe we're going to be pretty damn close to only spending 1/3 of our cap.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 05:51 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I don't want to hear the whole "Oh we don't have enough money to sign players".

The Eagles had $11 million in cap space. Meanwhile, they come out with Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith, and Chance Warmack.
What did they do for that to happen? They cut Conner Barwin. Saves them a little over $7 million.

Or look at the Ravens. They had $10 million. Yet re-sign Brandon Williams to the highest contract for a NT and also signs Tony Jefferson.
What did they do for this to happen? They cut Dumervil, Lewis, and Wright. Dumervil gave them $8 million alone.

Meanwhile we still have Maualuga and Pacman on our team. But even then, we still have around the same numbers as those two teams AFTER signing our own guys.

The difference (which I know you already know) is that those teams do what they think will help them win now. There's an urgency to improve and win. That does not exist within the Bengals organization. There is no sense of urgency, there is no true desire to win now.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:30 AM)Okeana Wrote: per

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Dre-plays-on-with-Bengals-Whats-next/a87a5caf-4f9d-4764-a06e-bc76b7801261

discussion

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/10/14877174/bengals-2-3-million-left-spend-free-agency

I can't understand how the front office is coming up with these numbers.  I'm not seeing the details on the Kirkpatrick deal yet, but even if we did eat 15 million in a cap hit for this year this still only accounts for 15 mil of 38-42 million of space they had.  I can understand if they want to allocate that money to Burfict and Eifert, but why not extend them now and eat as much cap this year so next year you can clear some of it off.

One thing the bengals really need to improve upon is learning when to move on from players to keep their stars.  Michael Johnson, Peko, Rey Mal all should be gone by this point.  Pacman is debatable, but I think its clear at this point we need that money and not an aging CB with off the field issues.

2-3 million in cap space is only by Mikey math, add 20 million to get real number.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 11:03 AM)Okeana Wrote: I understand we are a small market team and we will never be able to spend like one of the premier teams, but even after draft contracts about 15 million is still clear before cuts.

Cuts :

Hill 1.2 million
Sims 1 million
Pacman 6.3 million
Rey Mal 3.6 million
Michael Johnson 2.6 million

Total space cleared 14.7 million

leaving a total cap after rookie contracts somewhere in the 30 million range.

There is a salary cap. The Bengals are on equal financial terms with all teams in terms of allocatable salary. They just choose to pocket some and not spend what they could. Small market is only an issue in baseball, where there is no salary cap. Mike Brown is, and will continue to be, cheap. It's how he's been able to buy out the other team owners and maximize family earnings.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 07:45 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: There is a salary cap.  The Bengals are on equal financial terms with all teams in terms of allocatable salary.  They just choose to pocket some and not spend what they could.  Small market is only an issue in baseball, where there is no salary cap.  Mike Brown is, and will continue to be, cheap.  It's how he's been able to buy out the other team owners and maximize family earnings.

It makes you wonder if front loading all of the contracts were smart as well. I understand it allows for players to be cut near the end of their deal if they're not producing, but that's not something the Bengals do any way. Those up front numbers allowed the Bengals to be cash over cap and allow them to reach the floor without being penalized. At the same time, it allowed them to use the excuse that they couldn't afford to sign outside free agents because the money was going to their own.

While they're still not signing outside free agents, the problem is they aren't re-signing their own either. The fact that almost $43m has allowed us to re-sign LaFell, Kirkpatrick, Winston, and Johnson with us now reporting we're almost out of money is completely insane.
Reply/Quote
So according to Katherine Terrell,

"Dre Kirkpatrick's deal has processed, so the Bengals' have $27,381,165 in salary cap space, according to the NFLPA"
https://twitter.com/Kat_Terrell/status/841327013856174081

Take from that what you will.
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind one thing:

The Bengals (or Hobson) have never said that they only have $2million left under the cap, they have only said that they only have 2-3 million left under what they budgeted for free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:30 AM)Okeana Wrote: per

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Dre-plays-on-with-Bengals-Whats-next/a87a5caf-4f9d-4764-a06e-bc76b7801261

discussion

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/10/14877174/bengals-2-3-million-left-spend-free-agency

I can't understand how the front office is coming up with these numbers.  I'm not seeing the details on the Kirkpatrick deal yet, but even if we did eat 15 million in a cap hit for this year this still only accounts for 15 mil of 38-42 million of space they had.  I can understand if they want to allocate that money to Burfict and Eifert, but why not extend them now and eat as much cap this year so next year you can clear some of it off.

One thing the bengals really need to improve upon is learning when to move on from players to keep their stars.  Michael Johnson, Peko, Rey Mal all should be gone by this point.  Pacman is debatable, but I think its clear at this point we need that money and not an aging CB with off the field issues.
It's Mike Brown math.  It's even worse than that Common Core math.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 03:26 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Keep in mind one thing:

The Bengals (or Hobson) have never said that they only have $2million left under the cap, they have only said that they only have 2-3 million left under what they budgeted for free agency.

You're right, but then here's the question. What will the rest be spent on? If the Bengals somehow use $27 million between the draft, extensions, and injury settlement, then they gave too much in extensions. The draft should cost about $10 million based on given picks. You're looking at between $3-5 million reserved for injury. That still leaves about $12-14 million.

The Bengals only have two players worth putting this toward - Eifert and Burfict. The rest are mediocre at best and should not get good extensions (keyword SHOULD). Are the Bengals really going to invest $12 million worth of this year's cap into upcoming extensions? If so, they clearly are showing they care much more about not being in the basement but will never show urgency to "win now". That will result in perennially 6 to 11 regular season wins and no AFC Championship games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote