Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#2 & #3 WR
Marvin jones has clearly excelled in Detroit, and can't blame him for wanting the oppurtunity. He wouldn't have been able to produce those numbers in the role he had in Cincy. But the bengals have gotten pretty similar production through the first 7 games this year as they did last year.

First 7 games:
2015 jones & sanu: 44/603/3
2016 Lafell & Boyd: 47/617/4

When broken down further

2015 jones 26/333/3 v 2016 Lafell 27/372/4
2015 sanu 18/270/0 v 2016 Boyd 20/245/0

It doesn't always feel like it but Through 7 games it seems like the bengals made the right moves with FA. It's a small sample size but I think with eifert back, Lafell injury seemingly being him, and Boyd's natural progression as a rookie, these two could out produce last years jones and sanu by season end. Id like to see the bengals try and retain Lafell for another year as he looks to be getting really comfortable in this offense.

If this OL issue gets figured out this offense will be scary down the stretch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
LaFell has been a nice addition. Nothing flashy, but gets it done.
Reply/Quote
It's a bit hard to compare the numbers apples to apples...as the Bengals have lost 4 games and in the Jets game we were behind. When teams are behind, they generally pass the ball more and rush less which inflates passing numbers some. Also, Eifert has been out...

With that said, I never felt like Jones or Sanu were great here. I feel like Lafell may actually be a more complete WR than either...and I feel like Boyd has a really bright future.
Reply/Quote
Dalton is getting the timing down now with LaFell who is putting up good Fantasy Football numbers on the season.....Boyd will get there, he is a rookie.....and we have Eifert back who can line up at TE or WR....Wright adds capable back-up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 10:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a bit hard to compare the numbers apples to apples...as the Bengals have lost 4 games and in the Jets game we were behind. When teams are behind, they generally pass the ball more and rush less which inflates passing numbers some. Also, Eifert has been out...

With that said, I never felt like Jones or Sanu were great here. I feel like Lafell may actually be a more complete WR than either...and I feel like Boyd has a really bright future.

Dalton has had 15 more pass attempts through 7 games this year than last.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 10:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a bit hard to compare the numbers apples to apples...as the Bengals have lost 4 games and in the Jets game we were behind. When teams are behind, they generally pass the ball more and rush less which inflates passing numbers some. Also, Eifert has been out...

Agree and it is a small sample size but it's all we have to go with at this point. Boyd will continue to get better, and Lafell is doing good as a #2.  Glad they didn't have surgery for ligament damage. 

Simply put, fixing the RT position could go a long way towards rest of season
Reply/Quote
LaFell has done a tremendous job at a fraction of the price Jones wanted, Tyler Boyd hasnt done much YET but will be our eventual number two in a couple of years.

Again the Bengals worked the system well, keep in mind the 2 high comp picks we will be getting for the losses of Jones and Sanu to use in next year's draft!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
As far as receivers go, yeah it does look as though the right moves were made in FA.  As much as I liked Jones and Sanu, matching their deals would've meant tying a LOT of cap space into receivers.  That shouldn't be necessary if you have Green, Eifert, and Dalton.  That being said, I don't think that not signing one or both of Nelson/Smith has paid off as of yet.  You could also make a good case for keeping Tate around with 20/20 hindsight.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 11:24 AM)corpjet Wrote: LaFell has done a tremendous job at a fraction of the price Jones wanted, Tyler Boyd hasnt done much YET but will be our eventual number two in a couple of years.

Again the Bengals worked the system well, keep in mind the 2 high comp picks we will be getting for the losses of Jones and Sanu to use in next year's draft!

Agreed. I wish LaFell was better at taking the top off of defenses, but otherwise, he's doing a nice job in a role that Marvin Jones was overqualified for.  I have more faith in Boyd's ability to make tough catches than I had with Sanu.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 11:24 AM)corpjet Wrote: LaFell has done a tremendous job at a fraction of the price Jones wanted, Tyler Boyd hasnt done much YET but will be our eventual number two in a couple of years.

Boyd has been about as productive as sanu was last year and sanu this year.

The only rookie WR clearly outplaying Boyd so far this year, on a week in week out basis Is will fuller. 

Coleman has been hurt
Tread well hasn't done anything
Doctson is in IR
Sterling Shepard has been Boyd for NYG
Tajae sharpe has fallen off since blistering through the preseason

I'm sure there are other rookie WRs contributing to their respective teams but nothing crazy yet, unless I missed it.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 12:06 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Boyd has been about as productive as sanu was last year and sanu this year.

The only rookie WR clearly outplaying Boyd so far this year, on a week in week out basis Is will fuller. 

Coleman has been hurt
Tread well hasn't done anything
Doctson is in IR
Sterling Shepard has been Boyd for NYG
Tajae sharpe has fallen off since blistering through the preseason

I'm sure there are other rookie WRs contributing to their respective teams but nothing crazy yet, unless I missed it.

Michael Thomas in NO is quietly the best rookie WR.
Reply/Quote
Wow. Thanks for sharing. I never would have guessed it was even close !!

(10-24-2016, 10:30 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Marvin jones has clearly excelled in Detroit, and can't blame him for wanting the oppurtunity. He wouldn't have been able to produce those numbers in the role he had in Cincy. But the bengals have gotten pretty similar production through the first 7 games this year as they did last year.

First 7 games:
2015 jones & sanu: 44/603/3
2016 Lafell & Boyd: 47/617/4

When broken down further

It doesn't always feel like it but Through 7 games it seems like the bengals made the right moves with FA. It's a small sample size but I think with eifert back, Lafell injury seemingly being him, and Boyd's natural progression as a rookie, these two could out produce last years jones and sanu by season end. Id like to see the bengals try and retain Lafell for another year as he looks to be getting really comfortable in this offense.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 11:42 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: As far as receivers go, yeah it does look as though the right moves were made in FA.  As much as I liked Jones and Sanu, matching their deals would've meant tying a LOT of cap space into receivers.  That shouldn't be necessary if you have Green, Eifert, and Dalton.  That being said, I don't think that not signing one or both of Nelson/Smith has paid off as of yet.  You could also make a good case for keeping Tate around with 20/20 hindsight.

I was one who was not high on LaFell after training camp, but he has proven me wrong and made me a fan. As for Nelson/Smith, I wanted to keep Nelson, but Smith was getting abused in Minnesota prior to getting injured. He was not the answer at right tackle anymore, nor does it seem like Ced is. They are going to have to get someone else.....
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 12:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Michael Thomas in NO is quietly the best rookie WR.

Yea, I just looked him up. Wow he is.

Not sure he is much better than boyd or in a better system?  Would Boyd be doing similar in that system?

Clearly more productive in 6 games than Boyd's 7.  
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 10:30 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Marvin jones has clearly excelled in Detroit, and can't blame him for wanting the oppurtunity.  He wouldn't have been able to produce those numbers in the role he had in Cincy. But the bengals have gotten pretty similar production through the first 7 games this year as they did last year.

First 7 games:
2015 jones & sanu:  44/603/3
2016 Lafell & Boyd:  47/617/4

When broken down further

It doesn't always feel like it but Through 7 games it seems like the bengals made the right moves with FA.  It's a small sample size but I think with eifert back, Lafell injury seemingly being him, and Boyd's natural progression as a rookie, these two could out produce last years jones and sanu by season end.  Id like to see the bengals try and retain Lafell for another year as he looks to be getting really comfortable in this offense.  

Great stuff Bengalbug. Man, those stats are nearly identical with Lafell and Boyd having the small edge.

They should only get better the more they play with Andy as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 03:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great stuff Bengalbug. Man, those stats are nearly identical with Lafell and Boyd having the small edge.

They should only get better the more they play with Andy as well.

And with a healthy Eifert also.  Outside of the OL the offense is not the problem.  It's the defense that looks bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 03:48 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: And with a healthy Eifert also.  Outside of the OL the offense is not the problem.  It's the defense that looks bad.

Need to put up more points though.

The Linebackers always seem to be out of position. Not liking the Haslett hire right now.
Reply/Quote
[Image: CqBHG83XEAApr2Z.jpg]

[Image: covershootfour.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 06:23 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: [Image: covershootfour.jpg]

[Image: Picture-11.png]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 10:32 AM)Au165 Wrote: LaFell has been a nice addition. Nothing flashy, but gets it done.

That's what you get from a player coached by Bill Belichick. It never looks like any of his players do anything spectacular but they always execute their job to perfection.
Reply/Quote