Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#2 & #3 WR
(10-24-2016, 08:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's what you get from a player coached by Bill Belichick.

It's not the only thing you get.

[Image: Tom_Brady_Deflategate_Al_Michaels.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 08:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's what you get from a player coached by Bill Belichick.  It never looks like any of his players do anything spectacular but they always execute their job to perfection.

Gronk usually looks pretty spectacular to me.

(10-24-2016, 08:46 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: It's not the only thing you get.

[Image: Tom_Brady_Deflategate_Al_Michaels.jpg]

You also get these:

[Image: 434343.jpg?v=1450832219]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Lafell might be a step back from jones in terms of ceiling but he's been good so far. Sanu wasn't that good to begin with; Boyd looks like an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 04:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Gronk usually looks pretty spectacular to me.

You also get these:

[Image: 434343.jpg?v=1450832219]

And that's all that matters.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I liked the LaFell signing and I think he is doing a good job as the #2. I would have preferred to keep Jones, mainly because he would be the long term #2 instead of a stop gap.

I'm a big fan of Mo, but his production was replaceable. In time, I think Boyd will definitely be better than Sanu. However, I feel Jones was definitely a big loss.

I would like to see the team try to give Core more opportunities. I think he would help stretch the field more than Boyd and Wright. I'm not saying Core is the answer or going to be some sort of stud, but I think his size would create some mismatches that Dalton could take advantage of.
Reply/Quote
I was a fan of the moves when they happened. I liked MLJ, but 9 million per for a #2 WR? No thanks. We got LaFell on a discount due to his age and the fact that he was coming off a down year due to injury. He'll be more expensive this coming March if we want him back. Sanu's deal with ATL was laughably bad. Boyd has been an upgrade at a fraction of the price.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 12:31 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Yea, I just looked him up. Wow he is.

Not sure he is much better than boyd or in a better system?  Would Boyd be doing similar in that system?

Clearly more productive in 6 games than Boyd's 7.  

I a system that throws the ball 40 to 50 times a game. And oh ya, the guy doing the throwing is pretty good.
Reply/Quote
I agree that LaFell is more complete than MoJo, though I did love how Marvin could bail us out of 3rd and long in our own territory with a clutch catch.

WR overall is less of a concern than I thought it would be this season. I'm much more concerned about our offensive line. I realize Ogbuehi is young, but then you have to either have coached him up more than they did or else have another plan. I keep saying we should run some plays with an unbalanced line with Fisher on the end. You have the personnel for it and clearly you need something to give these guys an edge. Yes it means there will be fewer targets on the field but sometimes you have to subsidize where you are struggling at the expense of where things are going well.

Reply/Quote
So I want to keep this going. I also like to keep salary and production in the back of my mind to determine value.

Average through first 8 games

Boyd. 3.125 for 35.375 with 0 td per game
Lafell 3.5 for 47.25 with .5 td per game
Total 53 catches 661 yards and 4 td

Sanu 2.625 for 36.875 with .125 per game
Jones 3.875 for 51.375 with .375 td per game
Total 52 catches 706 yards and 4 td
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones dropped to detriots #2 position. He had a great start to the season. I think his numbers will be down the rest of the way. Sanu has had a couple of good games but so far has been mostly invisible in Atlanta's high powered passing game.

I think we did a great job in free agency, and I still think that LaFell is just as good as Marvin Jones when he was here. I think Boyd will be a lot better than Sanu was too. I really think that our offense will be explosive the rest of the year. We have looked really good on offense the last few weeks (NE, CLE, WAS), and I don't see us slowing down especially with Eifert back.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 02:54 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Marvin Jones dropped to detriots #2 position. He had a great start to the season. I think his numbers will be down the rest of the way. Sanu has had a couple of good games but so far has been mostly invisible in Atlanta's high powered passing game.

I think we did a great job in free agency, and I still think that LaFell is just as good as Marvin Jones when he was here. I think Boyd will be a lot better than Sanu was too. I really think that our offense will be explosive the rest of the year. We have looked really good on offense the last few weeks (NE, CLE, WAS), and I don't see us slowing down especially with Eifert back.

Jones is battling a foot injury, which has hurt him on the field....sound familiar?
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 12:05 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: Agreed. I wish LaFell was better at taking the top off of defenses, but otherwise, he's doing a nice job in a role that Marvin Jones was overqualified for.  I have more faith in Boyd's ability to make tough catches than I had with Sanu.

We could always use CORE for that....   wondering why we haven't.  doesn't have to get the ball thrown to him everytime but once and a while and the safety will follow.
Reply/Quote
Have been really pleased with what LaFell brings to the table as a #2.

Boyd is not doing as much as i expected. But he is a rookie and shows promise.

Not their fault the O-line is a sieve.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 03:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We could always use CORE for that....   wondering why we haven't.  doesn't have to get the ball thrown to him everytime but once and a while and the safety will follow.
Because someone apparently thinks another receiver has the "Wright stuff". I would like to see Core on the field. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 12:06 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Sterling Shepard has been Boyd for NYG

Shepard is doing quite a bit more, with 34 receptions for 384 yards and 3 TDs.  He was the WR I really wanted because he was a natural slot receiver and he only dropped something ridiculous like 6 passes in his college CAREER.

I knew the top tier would be gone in round 1 if looking for a burner to take the top off the defense, but I loved Shepard.

Boyd has been impressive in his limited opportunities, and I can't help but wonder if the Bengals won't keep him in the slot and give Core some opportunities outside.  Lafell has been very solid, but I would like to see Core get a few snaps there.  
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 08:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's what you get from a player coached by Bill Belichick.  It never looks like any of his players do anything spectacular but they always execute their job to perfection.

Like Hernandez?  Kind of sloppy, if you ask me
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 03:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: Jones is battling a foot injury, which has hurt him on the field....sound familiar?

That's the big knock on Jones to me...he seems very fragile and injured often.

Make no mistake, the Bengals wanted Jones and offered him a deal in the range that the Lions offerred him...he just wanted to go to Detroit for a shot at a #1 receiver spot.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/3/9/11190522/bengals-reportedly-offered-marvin-jones-a-deal-in-range-with-lions
Reply/Quote
LaFell has done really well this year. He already tied for 3rd most TDs in a season for his career. It took him and Dalton a little while to get into a rhythm, probably due to his injury during camp. But LaFell has done pretty well and has been getting into a rhythm.

Boyd had a great game against the Steelers. It was a little surprising they cut his snap count down the following two games, but I believe he's done alright. Dalton has missed some throws to him, like in the Dallas game where Boyd was open for a TD. And even last game, you saw Boyd open deep but Dalton missed the throw.

I think both have done well and haven't hurt our passing game in any way. They've kept Dalton going and have shown that they can step up in big games. IE: Boyd in Pitt. LaFell in Dallas.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
What's hillarious is the ESPN insider writer Sando thinks the biggest mistake the Bengals made in the offseason was not re-signing Jones and Sanu. He obviously hasn't watched a single game or read a single stat to come to that conclusion.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 06:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: What's hillarious is the ESPN insider writer Sando thinks the biggest mistake the Bengals made in the offseason was not re-signing Jones and Sanu. He obviously hasn't watched a single game or read a single stat to come to that conclusion.

Biggest loss thus far in my opinion is Nelson.

The new WRs are still learning but doing fine.

Having TE back on a regular should help them as well.
Reply/Quote