Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Preseason Games 18 Game Season
They keep talking about shortening the preseason to 2 games and having an 18 game regular season. Personally, I would like it. But, the players union keeps voting against it because they say the regular season is too long. I can see where 2 preseason games might be enough to build a roster. I just want to see games that actually matter instead of 4 preseason games with 2 of little interest. What are your thoughts?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
16 is fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it IMO.
Reply/Quote
Pre season isn't for the established players on the roster. They need one or two games to get ready. With that being said it's important for the players at the back end of the( and probably would prefer 1 or 2 more) to get those reps.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The smart play would be to go with 2 pre-season and 16 games but the NFL will NEVER go below 20 games. There is too much money to be made.

You are much more likely to see a 3 game pre-season and a 17 game regular season with an extra inter-conference game at an International location or a Neutral USA spot so there are no more teams losing home games. Try to do something like a Vikings vs Bills game in Arkansas or a Chargers vs Giants in Tulsa. Also, try to do one in or near a city or town that helped grow the league or was a part of it's history and honor that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_National_Football_League_franchises
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 12:59 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Pre season isn't for the established players on the roster. They need one or two games to get ready. With that being said it's important for the players at the back end of the( and probably would prefer 1 or 2 more) to get those reps.

I almost agree with this with the exception of I’ve noticed up until week 3 of the regular season, you see a lot of flatness and mistakes by starters league wide. After week 3 you see what you really have. Probably because when you’ve not played in awhile, a few preseason games is not going to get you back in the groove. Especially when you may only play 1 drive in PSg3 and maybe a 1/4 or a1/2 in psg4. So in reality, you have played less than 1 ps game before the regular season.

Shortening the ps games to two would be terrible for rookie development, getting down to the 53 and also injuries. I believe injuries is the driving point behind the players union and rightfully so. Specially when you shorten a teams time to prepare for an already rigorous season.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The CFL has 2 preseason games and an 18 game regular season (and more bye weeks).  Just a semi related note.

As for the NFL, 18 games with 2 bye weeks would seem doable. Teams that make playoff runs play 17-19 games and they don't always fall apart because of it.  Then agsin an 18 game season could mean 21 games to win it all and that seems pretty extreme
Reply/Quote
Maybe have 2 rookie games, 2 preseason games and 16 regular season game??!??!?!?!
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 08:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The CFL has 2 preseason games and an 18 game regular season (and more bye weeks).  Just a semi related note.

As for the NFL, 18 games with 2 bye weeks would seem doable. Teams that make playoff runs play 17-19 games and they don't always fall apart because of it.  Then agsin an 18 game season could mean 21 games to win it all and that seems pretty extreme

I think that is a decent model to go by.  Another proposal had the idea of an 18 game regular season, but players could only play in 16.  I don't like the idea of a team having to bench it's best players, when the same effect can be achieved with adding a second bye week.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think the pre season games are more important that ever because of how they are allowed to practice now.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 11:04 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that is a decent model to go by.  Another proposal had the idea of an 18 game regular season, but players could only play in 16.  I don't like the idea of a team having to bench it's best players, when the same effect can be achieved with adding a second bye week.

Yeah, the required benching seems like a really stupid idea.  I can see why people would want to stay at 16 games rather than go to 18, but I wonder if we see people arguing that we should go back to 14 games.  Anything bad about going to 18 should be made better by going back to 14, shouldn't it?

Hell if I know.  I think it mostly comes down to people getting used to what they are used to and saying "changes up 'til this point where I started watching were good and any change after is bad."  
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 02:21 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: You are much more likely to see a 3 game pre-season and a 17 game regular season with an extra inter-conference game at an International location or a Neutral USA spot so there are no more teams losing home games. Try to do something like a Vikings vs Bills game in Arkansas or a Chargers vs Giants in Tulsa. Also, try to do one in or near a city or town that helped grow the league or was a part of it's history and honor that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_National_Football_League_franchises

When Las Vegas was wanting a team i suggested that every team play a 17th game in Vegas. I believe a lot of fans would travel for a game there.
Reply/Quote
I say 17 weeks Ncaa tournament style. where 1 hosts 32 etc... add an extra bye week and cut pre season down to 2 problem solved.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 08:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The CFL has 2 preseason games and an 18 game regular season (and more bye weeks).  Just a semi related note.

I want LESS bye weeks. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 03:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I want LESS bye weeks. 

Easy to say that now, but how often does a bye week come up and we think "Oh lordy, thank you!  Now (insert injured player here) can get back into the lineup before our next game?"
Reply/Quote
I prefer it stay just the way it is.
Maybe the VETS/Starters get a break from the first 3 pre-season games, and play the guys that are backups and trying to make the team. Get that tape on them. Practice can only get some so far, you need live action game play to really figure them out. You know, some suck at practice and kick ass during the games and vice versa, some practice and play the same as well.
The 4th pre-season game you start with the starters and play them half a game or more if they can't get it together.
Reply/Quote
Or we could just get rid of preseason all together. Its dumb and pointless.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 12:48 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: They keep talking about shortening the preseason to 2 games and having an 18 game regular season. Personally, I would like it. But, the players union keeps voting against it because they say the regular season is too long. I can see where 2 preseason games might be enough to build a roster. I just want to see games that actually matter instead of 4 preseason games with 2 of little interest. What are your thoughts?

I like the 4 game preseason... While it might not help established vets much...  Its the only time some of these young guys will ever see an NFL Field.    Don't take that away from them.

I understand the not wanting to get hurt in preseason....  but injuries can happen anywhere anytime.  Good practice simulations against another team arent so easy to come by

Plus if you never see your Depth play in a preseason game vs real competition how are they suppose to prove they are better than the guy ahead of them.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 11:12 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, the required benching seems like a really stupid idea.  I can see why people would want to stay at 16 games rather than go to 18, but I wonder if we see people arguing that we should go back to 14 games.  Anything bad about going to 18 should be made better by going back to 14, shouldn't it?

Hell if I know.  I think it mostly comes down to people getting used to what they are used to and saying "changes up 'til this point where I started watching were good and any change after is bad."  

also right now with a 32 team league...  16 games makes sense....

Right now you play your Division 2x   6 Games
AFC D  4 Games
NFC D  4 Games
2 Teams that finished in the same spot of their division as you in the other 2 Divisions you don't face that year.

Who would the 17 game be?
or the 18th game be?

do you drop the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th place schedule and play 2 full divisions in your conference? 

Only thing I can think of for 18 games is you play every other team in your conference 1x and your Division 2x

Which means AFC and NFC would only ever clash in the superbowl
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 05:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Who would the 17 game be?
or the 18th game be?

One or two addition games from the opposite conference based on finish.

If you win the AFCN then you play either one or two NFL conference champs rotating divisions every year.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 05:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: One or two addition games from the opposite conference based on finish.

If you win the AFCN then you play either one or two NFL conference champs rotating divisions every year.

would have to add another game then... make it 19 so you can play everyone that finished the same as you.

Playing teams from 3/4 divisions just wouldn't be right.

of course they could just make more money by spacing out the games that they have so more are on TV with a national audience instead of just local
Reply/Quote