Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
2 Weeks Away!
I really like the place that the Bengals find themselves in right now. This staff and front office has worked incredibly hard to rebuild a franchise and a culture. In doing so they have built a roster that is extremely talented and have positioned themselves to continue to build the core of this roster and to have that next young player waiting to step up and meet the expectation of the team and the fans.

This roster has a very good cast of top 3 round talent that has been extended or will be looking to be extended. This franchise now must make sure that they continue you to surround this top tier talent with players that compliment them and perform at a high level. I believe that this draft if a great place to start preparing this next wave of core talent. I feel that many things are possible in this draft and I believe that trading down must be a real consideration due to the amount of quality talent in this draft.

This is a ProFootballNetwork simulation. Any trade accepted in this simulation was scored against the Draft Trade Calculator and no draft that was outside what could be considered a realistic score was not accepted.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Following is first the trades that took place and then the draft followed by an analysis of the fit of each selection as well as other notable prospects that could be considered targets that were still on the board at the time of each selection.
Reply/Quote
The Trades:

Reply/Quote
The Draft:

Reply/Quote
The Analysis:

RD 2 - 41st:

Darnell Washington - TE - Georgia - 6'7" 264

Notables available: B. Branch, J. Gibbs, D. Sanders, T. Simpson, H. Hooker

Tight End could be considered the weakest spot on the roster. The Bengals added Irv Smith Jr. in free agency who could be considered a viable option as a receiving tight end and while he may not be a complete liability as a blocker this is not the biggest strength to his game. The Bengals add the best blocking TE in the draft and a borderline first round talent at the 41st selection in the second round. Washington is an excellent blocker and is just beginning to realize his very high ceiling as a receiver. Washington has freak athletic ability, really good speed, and very natural hands as a pass catcher. Washington from day 1 should be an outstanding redzone presence and will create difficult coverage matchups for any defense.

RD 2 - 64th:

Siaki Ika - DT - Baylor - 6'3" 335

Notables available: J. Tippmann, G. Dexter, D. Henley, M. Bergeron, D. Hall

DJ Reader will be a free agent after '23 and while everyone would probably like to see him return to not prepare for the possibility that he does not would be irresponsible of this franchise. Ika is an immovable force at NT and one that pushes the pocket backward. While he does not generate sacks himself the push and disruption that he causes creates sacks for others on the D line. Ika is very athletic considering his size and he plays with good football awareness. Imagine a short yardage or goal line defense with Ika and Reader lined up next to each other.

RD 3 - 72nd:

Joe Tippmann - C/G - Wisconsin - 6'6" 313

Notables available: D. Hall, D. Achane, T. Kraft, J. Battle, T. Stevenson

I debated the selection of Tippmann at 64 so to still have him available at 72 made for a rather easy decision. Wisconsin is known for producing very gifted offensive linemen and Tippmann continues that trend. Tippmann as good natural power, athleticism, and size but his strongest trait may well be his football IQ. Tippmann could create some interesting scenarios in camp and one of the most realistic could be Karras sliding out to LG where he also has NFL experience and Tippman taking over the starting center position. However, even if he is not starting in '23 Tippmann provides better depth at any of the interior line spots. Tippman compares really closely Creed Humphrey at the center position.

RD 3 - 93rd:

Tyjae Spears - RB - Tulane - 5'10" 202

Notables available: D. Achane, T. Kraft, T. Stevenson, M. Mims, A. Carter II

Spears is a legit playmaker at the RB position and has the grit to run between the tackles as well as the speed and quickness to outrun the defense to the edge. Spears has a knack for producing yards after contact and runs through arm tackles. When Spears hits the open field he has the speed to outrun the defense. If Spears will be reliable at the NFL in pass protection but he is most certainly willing. Will go far in helping the Bengals severe ties with Joe Mixon come June 1st.

RD 4 - 114th:

Riley Moss - CB - Iowa - 6'1" 193

Notables available: Z. Harrison, AT Perry, J. Brown, E. Ricks, J. Mingo

Outside of being a physically gifted CB, Moss is extremely instinctive and comes with an outstanding football IQ. Moss has demonstrated really good ball skills with 11 INTs at Iowa and should be a really good fit in the predominant zone scheme of Lou. Moss will make a really good addition to an already pretty good CB room and will be a very reliable piece in this defense.

RD 4 - 136th:

Chandler Zavala - G - N.C. State - 6'3" 322

Notables available: N. Herbig, I. Abanikanda, I. McGuire, Z. Kuntz, D. Overshown

Zavala has been moving up draft boards rapidly and with good reason...he is a really high quality guard prospect. I believe that Zavala is better depth right now than any backup interior line player that is on the current roster. He makes for an immediate upgrade to our depth and frankly could push for a starting spot in '23.

RD 5 - 163rd:

Mike Morris - DE - Michigan - 6'5" 275

Morris has had some negative press since the combine because he did not test well. I believe game film is a bit more realistic of the talent level of Morris than drills at the combine. I see a play style a bit similar to that of Joey Bosa in Morris in that they are brute force rushers. Sure there are things that Morris is going to need to improve upon at the NFL level but he is going to be around some mighty good DEs to learn from and one heck of a D line coach to help him along the way.

RD 6 - 195th

Jalen Redmond - DT - Oklahoma - 6'2" 291

It is hard to watch film on Redmond and not like him...really high motor prospect. Redmond has an ability to anchor above what you would expect for a sub 300 defensive tackle and Oklahoma even stood him up on the edge at times because of his quickness. Redmond moved around a lot on the Sooners line and even played the nose but I see him being put at the 3 technique and allowed to continue to grow his game at that position. He is very disruptive and could provide the inside pass rush that the Bengals have been missing since Geno and is going to push Carter to pickup his game.

RD 6 - 208th

Starling Thomas V - CB - UAB - 5'10" 194

Not the tallest corner but stoutly built at 194. Very athletic with a vertical over 37" at the UAB Pro Day as well as posting a 4.30 40 time. Has played the boundary in college but could be looked at to move inside to the slot at the NFL level. Thomas is also an experienced punt returner.
Reply/Quote
Undrafted Priority Free Agents:

Deneric Prince - RB - Tulsa - 6'0" 216

I several points I was looking to double up at RB but the right situation never presented itself and it would be drafting for RB3 as Trayveon Williams I believe is going to flourish for this offense if he is given the opportunity and I believe Williams and Spears will be RB1 and RB2 in one order or the other. Prince brings really good talent to the field and I feel he could beat out Evans for the third spot.

John Ojukwu - T - Boise State - 6'6" 309

51 career starts at Boise State so he is not lacking in experience. Brings good size and length to the position. Protecting the franchise is the name of the game and at times the Bengals depth on the O line has been suspect. Developing quality depth is a must.

Bryce Baringer - P - Michigan State - 6'2" 216

A really big leg but it will be up to Simmons to see if he can develop the touch and placement that Baringer will need to be a weapon in the NFL.

Travis Vokolek - TE - Nebraska - 6'6" 259

Good size and decent speed. He tested pretty well at the Nebraska Pro Day. Again, looked to double up at TE but likely drafting for TE3/4.
Reply/Quote