Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 years ago
and we all loved the smell of beer, nacho cheese, and whatever else remained from previous games and emanated from the stains of concrete on a hot summer day as the seats burned our legs, right
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bought tickets for a group who attended ny wedding in '86. Our seats were under the scoreboard in what was centerfield. The Bengals played the Oilers that day. I can't remember who won, but.my buddy from small town Idaho was amazed at how many people there were in that stadium.

Great marriage...didn't make it two years. I can't blame the Bengals for that.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 10:42 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You got two... right?

[Image: eddie-money-two-tickets-to-paradise-top-...=450%2C289]

There was a group of about 10-12 of us that went.
Reply/Quote
I had the privilege to walk on that field. I was a little league coach back then and the entire league was welcomed to the stadium. We cam through center field wall to 3rd base line, walked to 3rd and to home plate, then to first base out to foul pole and back through center field wall.

The kids were really excited because when we were close to dugout the were within feet of several players like Ken Griffey Jr. they were yelling hi to player and player waved hi back. Glad they had a good time. One thing I didn’t like was the field. It felt like walking on a wrestling Mat. Felt spongy. No wonder that type of field was done away with.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 10:42 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You got two... right?

[Image: eddie-money-two-tickets-to-paradise-top-...=450%2C289]

Well done, sir.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c3c06313e0c73f1f52...y.gif&ct=g]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 01:24 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: My first MLB game was against Fernando Valenzuela, and a young rookie that wasn't nationally known yet named Eric Davis was playing for the good guys. My goodness, his speed in person was mind blowing. Got on base, promptly stole second and third, then scored on a sac fly.

First NFL was the OT win against Washington that secured the first seed in 88. Seeing the Ickey Shuffle as a twelve year old was killer. Welcome to the Jungle was released that year, and new in the stadium. They were probably my favorite band back then. The place literally moving. Awesome memories.

Yeah man... I remember sitting near 3rd base with my grandpa, and watching Davis round the base headed home. That dude was flying. Definitely something you had to witness live to really get it. Years later I saw the same thing with Vick at PBS.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Saw countless Big Red Machine games before moving to Alaska in August 1976. Flew back to Kentucky in my early 30s in 1998 to watch the Neil O'Donnell fake spike TD vs the Kordell Stewart led Steelers. 3-13 that season but had a season sweep of the Steelers . . . successful season. That was the only Bengals game that I saw in Cincinnati.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I met Marge S. in that stadium, she had a baby elephant with her. Got an autographed picture of Bip Roberts as well, just for being a good student in middle school.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 11:17 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, it was a cold one alright, but was that the really cold game? I seem to recall that a coworker attended the Bears game two weeks earlier (which I did not attend) and I thought that one was close to zero.  I remember that he complained about it all the next day.  We won that one too, if memory serves.  That may have been an 8-8 year.

The Minny game was cold too, and I believe there was some snow being piled up in back of the end zones.  The field had frozen solid overnight, and even though the sun was out, the SE end of the field was in the shade and remained a bit of an ice rink.  Because of that Fuad Ravez couldn't plant on a FG attempt and slid, and the ball went sideways and wide, which was the difference in the final score.  I remember later that night Berman referred to his kick as a "Fuad Shot"  Hilarious

seems to me they were both listed as -39 degrees and got a buddy to go to the Bears game but even he would not do it again the following week. seems like they were back to back games but you're probably right that it was two weeks earlier. 

Both games were miserably cold. 

Although I did not attend the freezer bowl I watched on TV and it was so cold it hurt our lungs trying to smoke a joint at halftime out back.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 08:21 PM)Go Cards Wrote: seems to me they were both listed as -39 degrees and got a buddy to go to the Bears game but even he would not do it again the following week. seems like they were back to back games but you're probably right that it was two weeks earlier. 

Both games were miserably cold. 

Although I did not attend the freezer bowl I watched on TV and it was so cold it hurt our lungs trying to smoke a joint at halftime out back.  

I hadn't even considered looking until just now but the highlights are on Youtube, of course.  And, get Tom Jackson with the Sam Shade joke LOL

Out of curiosity I went to Almanac.com for 12/24/95 and it says the high at Lunken that day was 29.8 degrees with some wind.  I don't recall it being bitterly cold but I could take cold a lot better 27 years ago.  And, I also misremembered a few things:  we didn't finish 8-8 that year and there was no fumble recovery to give us the ball in Vikings' territory with :03 left.  Think I confused this game with the Philadelphia game the year earlier, which was also played at Riverfront on Christmas Eve and also ended with a Pelfrey winner.  

Winning seasons and playoff wins are great, but this game goes to show that a "meaningless" game can still be a lot of fun and stay with you years later.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 11:15 AM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: Bought tickets for a group who attended ny wedding in '86. Our seats were under the scoreboard in what was centerfield. The Bengals played the Oilers that day. I can't remember who won, but.my buddy from small town Idaho was amazed at how many people there were in that stadium.

Great marriage...didn't make it two years. I can't blame the Bengals for that.

That was one of the best Bengals games ever. I remember it like it was yesterday. Bengals fumble near the goal line and the Oilers return it 90+ yrds for the go ahead TD in the 4th. Bengals turn around and march right down the field with little time left and win it on a James Brooks run.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 02:56 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah man... I remember sitting near 3rd base with my grandpa, and watching Davis round the base headed home. That dude was flying. Definitely something you had to witness live to really get it. Years later I saw the same thing with Vick at PBS.

Speaking of memories of Riverfront, and i hope i'm not getting this wrong. I was there when Pete Rose returned as player/manager. My lasting memory is sitting top level straight down the 2nd to 3rd base line and seeing Rose rounding second and diving head first into third. 

I swear...that dude looked like he was 6 feet off the ground when he dove. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote