Poll: Best year in sports for Cincinnati?
Other (Explain)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Year in Cincinnati Sports?
What would you consider the best year sports-wise for Cincinnati? I'm thinking it's a year where both teams did well.

Here are the years I came up with:
1975 - Big Red Machine's first championship; Bengals 11-3 and lose divisional round playoffs
1976 - Big Red Machine's second championship; Bengals 10-4
1981 - Reds first place in strike year but no playoffs due to split season; Bengals play in their first Super Bowl (loss to SF)
1988 - Reds 87 win season, but no playoffs; Bengals play in second Super Bowl (loss to SF)
1990 - Reds go wire-to-wire and win World Series; Bengals last playoff victory, lose in divisional round
2012 - Reds with 97 wins, lost heartbreaker to SF in NLDS; Bengals 10-6, lose in wildcard

Is there another year that sticks out to you that isn't here?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Gotta be 1990... Reds WS win, Bengals playoff win, UC Men's BB made the tournament (won only one game), Xavier Men's BB made the tournament (won only one game).

EDIT: Oh, and the Cyclones were established in 1990.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I went for '76 because the Reds repeated. I don't think any National League team has since. They also swept the post season. Over a two year period when that starting eight was penciled in they were 69-19.
Bengals had a good year also and the Reds were just historic.
Reply/Quote
1990. Other than the Cyclones (08 & 10) it's the only year in my lifetime a Cincy team won a championship. I was much bigger on baseball as a kid so it was a big deal for me back then.

Reply/Quote
Easily 1975. You have to Win It All in something. We had the 1975 Reds Big Red Machine Win The World Series, and Paul Brown as Head Coach Bengals were tough and went to NFL Play-Offs which was less Play-Off Teams Back then.

The 1976 Reds Won it all but the Bengals missed the Play-Offs.

1990 Reds won it all and 1990 Bengals made Play-offs and won a game.

I can see younger Fans saying 1990.....Once Pete Rose moved to third base and George Foster in Left, Nobody could touch the Reds. Although The Pirates gave me a scare and almost beat us and the Boston Red Sox almost beat us. Sparky Anderson, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Ken Griffey Sr, Tony Perez, George Foster, Johnny Bench, Cesar Geronimo, Dave Concepcion, Don Gullett, Gary Nolan, Fred Norman, Jack Billingham. Pedro Bourbon, Clay Carroil, Clay Kirby, Tom Hall, Will McEnaney, Rawly Eastwick, Dan Driessen, Doug Flynn, Ed Armbrister, Merv Rettenmund...Coaches- George Scherger, Alex Grammas, Ted Kluszewski as a great hitting coach per Rose and all on team, and Joe Nuxhall pitching batting practice every game which Reds said he was still tough to hit and made them better. .........Paul Brown and his 1975 Bengals. Bill Walsh as a coach. Ken Anderson. Essex Johnson, Lenvil Elliott, Boobie Clark, Issac Curtis, Charlie Joiner, Chip Myers, Bruce Coslett, Bob Trumpy, Bob Johnson, Dave Lapham, Rufus Mayes, Vernon Holland, Mike Reid, Rod Carpenter, Royce Berry, Shereman White, Bill Kollar, Gary Burley, Glenn Cameron, Jim Leclair, Al Beauchamp, Bo Harris, Ron Pritchard, Lemar Parrish, Ken Riley, Marvin Cobb, Tommy Casanova, Bernard Jackson, David Green, Horst Muhlmann.

Some can say 1990.....I'll say 1975.

I can even make an argument for 1970 because Reds went to World Series, Bengals went to NFL Play-Offs and Cincinnati Royals had player coach Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, Jerry Lucas, Norm Van Lier, Tom Van Arsdale, Connie Dierking, The Royals were still around but not winners but did still have The Big O starting 1970 to end of season. The new 1970 season had Oscar Robinson gone, but Nate The Skate Archibald and Sam Lacey were added. Al so in the ABA the Pacers had a good team and in the ABA Kentucky had a good team. Some good Pro Basketball around Cincy area....To go With Reds and Bengals Good Year in 1970.

It's hard not to say 1975. Yes the Reds won in 1990 and Bengals in Play-Offs, a very good year......The 1975 Sparky Anderson Reds and Paul Brown Bengals I have to put at the TOP.

I think the only years you can consider are years you win it all...1975, 1976, 1990....and then the Bengals of those years....Yes, The Bengals beat Houston but then got blown out by Raiders in 1990. ...I'll still take the 1975 Reds and the Paul Brown 1975 Bengals Combo. ....They were both good years....1970 was nice because Reds and Bengals had good years and we still had Royals. ....Now the Royals went to Play-Offs a lot, but not Reds.

Another good Cincy year was 1961 as Cincinnati Bearcats won NCAA Basketball Championship, Reds went to World Series, 61-62 Royals were Play-off Bound and 1961 Bearcats would win NCAA Championship again in 1962 March Madness. So add 1961 to Great Years in Cincinnati Sports....Back To Back National Championships for Cincinnati Bearcats, Reds go to World Series, and Royals in the Fall have a Play-Off Bound NBA Team.

That is enough to make my list as 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961,1962, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1981, 1988, 1990.........Due to Death, there are more alive to vote 1990. ....Sad to say I didn't list any years after 1990......I have NO IDEA why 2012 on the list to vote for. Nothing great about 2012 Cincinnati Sports. No World Series, No Super Bowl.

Again...1975 was indeed the best Reds Team Ever and Paul Brown/ Bill Walsh coached Bengals had Play-Off Season as well.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
1961 Reds win pennant, UC national BB championship, Royals with Oscar in rookie year.
Reply/Quote
1990 for me, because I remember it so well, and both teams were playing well.  I LOVED 88 of course.....but......1976 was the year of champions. Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I loved the 75 and 76 BRM ! But I have to go 1990 as well. That was my first year home from the Navy, watching the Reds and Bengals with my dad again ! It was just a good year all around.
Reply/Quote
The OP didn't even mention that the Reds went wire-to-wire in 90. That's pretty special. Only 5 teams have ever done it.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2017, 11:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The OP didn't even mention that the Reds went wire-to-wire in 90. That's pretty special. Only 5 teams have ever done it.

Good point. Forgot about that given I was 4 years old at the time haha. I'll edit OP to reflect that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Easy, The Big Red Machine!! Pretty much put Cincinnati on the sports map, IMO
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2017, 11:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The OP didn't even mention that the Reds went wire-to-wire in 90. That's pretty special. Only 5 teams have ever done it.

Right, and most sports writers thought we would be the team to get swept by the A's. Freakin loved it. 90 for me.
Reply/Quote
1990 IMO. I was 14
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2017, 07:46 AM)kevin Wrote: Easily 1975.   You have to Win It All in something.   We had the 1975 Reds Big Red Machine Win The World Series, and Paul Brown as Head Coach Bengals were tough and went to NFL Play-Offs which was less Play-Off Teams Back then.

The 1976 Reds Won it all but the Bengals missed the Play-Offs.

1990 Reds won it all and 1990 Bengals made Play-offs and won a game.  

I can see younger Fans saying 1990.....Once Pete Rose moved to third base and George Foster in Left, Nobody could touch the Reds.  Although The Pirates gave me a scare and almost beat us and the Boston Red Sox almost beat us.  Sparky Anderson, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Ken Griffey Sr, Tony Perez, George Foster, Johnny Bench, Cesar Geronimo, Dave Concepcion, Don Gullett, Gary Nolan, Fred Norman, Jack Billingham. Pedro Bourbon, Clay Carroil, Clay Kirby, Tom Hall, Will McEnaney, Rawly Eastwick, Dan Driessen, Doug Flynn, Ed Armbrister, Merv Rettenmund...Coaches- George Scherger, Alex Grammas, Ted Kluszewski as a great hitting coach per Rose and all on team, and Joe Nuxhall pitching batting practice every game which Reds said he was still tough to hit and made them better.  .........Paul Brown and his 1975 Bengals. Bill Walsh as a coach.  Ken Anderson. Essex Johnson, Lenvil Elliott, Boobie Clark, Issac Curtis, Charlie Joiner, Chip Myers, Bruce Coslett, Bob Trumpy, Bob Johnson, Dave Lapham, Rufus Mayes, Vernon Holland, Mike Reid, Rod Carpenter, Royce Berry, Shereman White, Bill Kollar, Gary Burley, Glenn Cameron, Jim Leclair, Al Beauchamp, Bo Harris, Ron Pritchard, Lemar Parrish, Ken Riley, Marvin Cobb, Tommy Casanova, Bernard Jackson, David Green, Horst Muhlmann.

Some can say 1990.....I'll say 1975.

I can even make an argument for 1970 because Reds went to World Series, Bengals went to NFL Play-Offs and Cincinnati Royals had player coach Bob Cousy,  Oscar Robertson, Jerry Lucas, Norm Van Lier, Tom Van Arsdale, Connie Dierking,   The Royals were still around but not winners but did still have The Big O starting 1970 to end of season. The new 1970 season had Oscar Robinson gone, but Nate The Skate Archibald and Sam Lacey were added.   Al so in the ABA the Pacers had a good team and in the ABA Kentucky had a good team. Some good Pro Basketball around Cincy area....To go With Reds and Bengals Good Year in 1970.

It's hard not to say 1975.  Yes the Reds won in 1990 and Bengals in Play-Offs, a very good year......The 1975 Sparky Anderson Reds and Paul Brown Bengals I have to put at the TOP.

I think the only years you can consider are years you win it all...1975, 1976, 1990....and then the Bengals of those years....Yes, The Bengals beat Houston but then got blown out by Raiders in 1990.  ...I'll still take the 1975 Reds and the Paul Brown 1975 Bengals Combo. ....They were both good years....1970 was nice because Reds and Bengals had good years and we still had Royals. ....Now the Royals went to Play-Offs a lot, but not Reds.

Another good Cincy year was 1961 as Cincinnati Bearcats won NCAA Basketball Championship, Reds went to World Series, 61-62 Royals were Play-off Bound and 1961 Bearcats would win NCAA Championship again in 1962 March Madness.  So add 1961 to Great Years in Cincinnati Sports....Back To Back National Championships for Cincinnati Bearcats,  Reds go to World Series, and Royals in the Fall have a Play-Off Bound NBA Team.

That is enough to make my list as 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961,1962, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1981, 1988, 1990.........Due to Death, there are more alive to vote 1990. ....Sad to say I didn't list any years after 1990......I have NO IDEA why 2012 on the list to vote for. Nothing great about 2012 Cincinnati Sports. No World Series, No Super Bowl.

Again...1975 was indeed the best Reds Team Ever and Paul Brown/ Bill Walsh coached Bengals had Play-Off Season as well.
I would say the 76 team was the best single Reds Team Ever...but who really cares.. both were totally awesome .  lol
Reply/Quote