Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2005, Roles Reversed
There was an interview with the local guy covering the putzburg steelers on NFL Network the other day.  They were going over the perceived strengths and weaknesses of the team, their injury status to certain players, and their general outlook for the season.

Being who they are, of course they feel this could be a Super Bowl caliber team.  As they went through both sides of the ball, I couldn't help but see the similarities between the current steeler team and the 2005 Bengals.  High-powered offense.  Multiple threats at WR.  Strong running game.  Strong (puke) QB play.  However, there are lots of concerns on the defense.  A lack of a pass rush.  Inexperience in the secondary.  They concluded that to make the big game, they would need to step it up defensively because they might have a tough time outscoring teams like Indy and New England.

As I was comparing what I think I know about this year's Bengal's squad.  I see the Bengals more like the 2005 steeler team:  Strong defense.  Depth in the secondary.  Veterans.  Tough defensive line.  A good offense, but not an "air-it-out-all-day" type...more balanced.  A strong running game (something the Bengals have not had in some time).  Experienced.  The Bengals aren't really relying on too many rookies to be impact players.  They have a fairly experienced, veteran group at the key positions on both sides of the line.

I sure hope the season ends for this year's Bengals the way it ended for that 2005 putzburg team. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It is ironic how similar when compared to 2005 as you indicated, from a reversal perspective. I think this years Bengals have a much better receiving group across the board - if they stay healthy.

That year (2005) the Pitt defense was really at their prime and a load for everybody. Only a team like the Bengals that year gave them fits because we had the 3 receivers who could really spread them out down the field (Chris Henry being the x-factor). If only Palmer wouldn't have gone down?

This years Bengal defense can be very good but again, it all depends on a healthy season.

Every team sustains injuries and that's why depth is so important. But it seems like we've been hit in very key spots the last couple of years. Maybe this is the year the stars align for our guys for a change!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 10:55 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: It is ironic how similar when compared to 2005 as you indicated, from a reversal perspective.  I think this years Bengals have a much better receiving group across the board - if they stay healthy.  

That year (2005) the Pitt defense was really at their prime and a load for everybody.  Only a team like the Bengals that year gave them fits because we had the 3 receivers who could really spread them out down the field (Chris Henry being the x-factor).  If only Palmer wouldn't have gone down?

This years Bengal defense can be very good but again, it all depends on a healthy season.

Every team sustains injuries and that's why depth is so important.  But it seems like we've been hit in very key spots the last couple of years.  Maybe this is the year the stars align for our guys for a change!

With you on the injuries.  I hear all the time how "every team has them" and that is just excuse-making.  I understand that they do hit every team, but the team that usually wins the big game is often the one that maintains the greatest number of their players healthy. 

I disagree, however, about this year's Bengals receiving corps in relation to the 2005 squad.  AJ, Sanu, and Jones do not compare to Chad, TJ, and Henry.  They are simply not in their league at this time.  This year's squad could be even more like that 2005 steeler offense because this team has Eifert, which the 2005 Bengals had no equal. 

Regardless, I do believe this year's Bengals are very well constructed for a playoff run.  (Cue the "have to win round 1 first" cynics). 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 11:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you on the injuries.  I hear all the time how "every team has them" and that is just excuse-making.  I understand that they do hit every team, but the team that usually wins the big game is often the one that maintains the greatest number of their players healthy. 

I disagree, however, about this year's Bengals receiving corps in relation to the 2005 squad.  AJ, Sanu, and Jones do not compare to Chad, TJ, and Henry.  They are simply not in their league at this time.  This year's squad could be even more like that 2005 steeler offense because this team has Eifert, which the 2005 Bengals had no equal. 

Regardless, I do believe this year's Bengals are very well constructed for a playoff run.  (Cue the "have to win round 1 first" cynics). 

Yep.  We will have 4 legitimate threats.  Eifert is that factor we've not had.  
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There was an interview with the local guy covering the putzburg steelers on NFL Network the other day.  They were going over the perceived strengths and weaknesses of the team, their injury status to certain players, and their general outlook for the season.

Being who they are, of course they feel this could be a Super Bowl caliber team.  As they went through both sides of the ball, I couldn't help but see the similarities between the current steeler team and the 2005 Bengals.  High-powered offense.  Multiple threats at WR.  Strong running game.  Strong (puke) QB play.  However, there are lots of concerns on the defense.  A lack of a pass rush.  Inexperience in the secondary.  They concluded that to make the big game, they would need to step it up defensively because they might have a tough time outscoring teams like Indy and New England.

As I was comparing what I think I know about this year's Bengal's squad.  I see the Bengals more like the 2005 steeler team:  Strong defense.  Depth in the secondary.  Veterans.  Tough defensive line.  A good offense, but not an "air-it-out-all-day" type...more balanced.  A strong running game (something the Bengals have not had in some time).  Experienced.  The Bengals aren't really relying on too many rookies to be impact players.  They have a fairly experienced, veteran group at the key positions on both sides of the line.

I sure hope the season ends for this year's Bengals the way it ended for that 2005 putzburg team. 
Strange new world we're living in, where a Steeler team will have to light it up on offense to win.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 11:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you on the injuries.  I hear all the time how "every team has them" and that is just excuse-making.  I understand that they do hit every team, but the team that usually wins the big game is often the one that maintains the greatest number of their players healthy. 

Agreed.  Maybe I should have said options in the pass game rather than receiving group better than 2005.  Chad, TJ and Henry were a load but that's all we had.  This years team has Eifert and good receiving options out of the backfield in Gio, Hill and Burkhead.  The 2005 team did not have that as Rudi Johnson's hands and route running was unspectacular.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There was an interview with the local guy covering the putzburg steelers on NFL Network the other day.  They were going over the perceived strengths and weaknesses of the team, their injury status to certain players, and their general outlook for the season.

This is exactly correct so let's hope the Bengal's can capitalize, but we can't forget, we were one bad play against the Steeler's (Palmer and Henry hurt) from knocking off the Steelers that day more than likely. My point is both teams were very good that year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 11:49 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is exactly correct so let's hope the Bengal's can capitalize, but we can't forget, we were one bad play against the Steeler's (Palmer and Henry hurt) from knocking off the Steelers that day more than likely. My point is both teams were very good that year.

What would truly be ironic, is if a large Bengal DL should happen to accidently roll through Ben's knee, and cripple the Steelers...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 11:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What would truly be ironic, is if a large Bengal DL should happen to accidently roll through Ben's knee, and cripple the Steelers...

You just never know, but I have always said what goes around eventually comes around or in other words "Karma is a *****".
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Our defense in 2005 created a lot of turnovers though.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 11:59 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You just never know, but I have always said what goes around eventually comes around or in other words "Karma is a *****".

Is karma really a *****?  Seems to me the Steelers knocked out Palmer on a dirty hit and were then rewarded by winning the Super Bowl.  Face it, life isn't fair.
Reply/Quote
The Steelers O is scary this year, but yeah, their Defense looks incredibly suspect, especially the secondary. I dunno if that makes it a reversal of 2005, but the matchups will be interesting. I believe in our defense, but against what may be the leagues best Offense I don't think we can shut them down entirely. OTOH, we should have more pass pressure from the DL than last year. Especially up the middle with Atkins.

Interesting to note that the Steelers are gonna be without their Center Pouncey for about 8 weeks (will probably miss their first game with us). And supposedly he is considering retiring if he needs another surgery: http://lockerdome.com/happygilmore/6170048381332289/7968747298371601

I do believe that Sims + a healthy Burfict can shut down Bell. No one will shut down Brown though so you just have to manage him best you can.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 05:02 PM)magikod Wrote: Our defense in 2005 created a lot of turnovers though.

That's an interesting take.  I do remember the NFC North QBs EACH throwing 5 INTs....which is unbelievable looking back.  Sure, you have to make those INTs, but in a way, I think that defense had the advantage of playing with a lead and other teams were airing it out to try and stay with that offense. 

I remember at one point the Vikings QB (Culpepper) had more receptions to the Bengals (4) than receptions by his own team in something like the third quarter! 
Reply/Quote

Wow, hadn't really thought of this before. Pretty accurate comparison IMHO. Nice thread.
Reply/Quote