Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
2011 redux
Bengals coming off two straight losses (the last one to the Forty-niners) struggling with a losing record early in the first weeks of the season.

Buffalo Bills are undefeated when they roll into PBS.

Sound familiar?

That was 2011. Bengals were 1-2, Bills were 3-0 and coming off a huge upset of the Patriots. No one gave the Bengals much of chance. IN fact most experts considered the Bengals one of the worst teams in the league.

Things looked bleak in the first half when Andy threw 2 interceptions with one of them returned for a TD. They went to the locker room down 17-3. The hometown fans were surly and talking of a long loosing season ahead. But then the entire season turned around.

Bengals took the opening kickoff and easily drove 78 yds for a FG. The run game started clicking (Benson 4 car 43 yds) and Dalton connected with Green on a 40 yarder. Bengal D forced a three-and-out, then on the next possession the offense drove 78 yards in just 7 plays capped off with a 17 yard Dalton to Gresham td. The crowd became energized.

Bills got a FG early in the 4th quarter to take a 20-13 led, but a Dalton 3 yard run tied the game with 4 minutes left. The Bills Fred Jackson came into that game averaging 101.0 rushing yards per games and 6.5 per carry, but on a crucial 2nd and 3 Rey Maualuga burst through and dropped him for a three yards loss. Fitzpatrick misfired on third down and the Bengals got the ball back on their own 19 with just 1:48 left.

Rookie QB Andy Dalton came into that game 29th in passing yards and 22nd in passer rating. The only game the Bengals had won so far was thanks to a 14 point comeback against the lowly Browns led by Bruce Gradkowski while Dalton was on the bench. But Bengal fans were about to see the first example of how Andy Dalton could put together a 4th quarter game-winning drive in a pressure situation. He hit Simpson for 17 and Leonard for 14. He converted a big third and three with a run. and on the final play of the game Nugent hit a 43 yarder to win it.

Dalton finished with 298 passing yards and 2 tds (1 run, 1 pass). It was the first victory in a 5 game winning streak that led to the Bengals making the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
You know how I know our LB corps are terrible? Fred's got me missing Malalalalaluga over here. Dark times.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 06:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals coming off two straight losses (the last one to the Forty-niners) struggling with a losing record early in the first weeks of the season.  

Sound familiar?

That was 2011.  Bengals were 1-2, Bills were 3-0 and coming off a huge upset of the Patriots.  No one gave the Bengals much of  chance.  IN fact most experts considered the Bengals one of the worst teams in the league.

Things looked bleak in the first half when Andy threw 2 interceptions with one of them returned for a TD.  They went to the locker room down 17-3.  The hometown fans were surly and talking of a long loosing season ahead.  But then the entire season turned around.

Bengals took the opening kickoff and easily drove 78 yds for a FG.  The run game started clicking (Benson 4 car 43 yds) and Dalton connected with Green on a 40 yarder.  Bengal D forced a three-and-out, then on the next possession the offense drove 78 yards in just 7 plays capped off with a 17 yard Dalton to Gresham td.  The crowd became energized.

Bills got a FG early in the 4th quarter to take a 20-13 led, but a Dalton 3 yard run tied the game with 4 minutes left.  The Bills Fred Jackson came into that game averaging 101.0 rushing yards per games and 6.5 per carry, but on a crucial 2nd and 3 Rey Maualuga burst through and dropped him for a three yards loss.  Fitzpatrick misfired on third down and the Bengals got the ball back on their own 19 with just 1:48 left.

Rookie QB Andy Dalton came into that game 29th in passing yards and 22nd in passer rating.  The only game the Bengals had won so far was thanks to a 14 point comeback against the lowly Browns led by Bruce Gradkowski while Dalton was on the bench.  But Bengal fans were about to see the first example of how Andy Dalton could put together a 4th quarter game-winning drive in a pressure situation.  He hit Simpson for 17 and Leonard for 14.  He converted a big third and three with a run.  and on the final play of the game Nugent hit a 43 yarder to win it.

Dalton finished with 298 passing yards and 2 tds (1 run, 1 pass).  It was the first victory in a 5 game winning streak that led to the Bengals making the playoffs.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3451748]

Reply/Quote
Are we rollin' with the rookie QB like it's 2011 again, too? Some say he isn't ready and we will be lost without our veteran starter, but let's have some faith in the kid!
Reply/Quote
Leonard!....that is all.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 06:29 PM)treee Wrote: You know how I know our LB corps are terrible? Fred's got me missing Malalalalaluga over here. Dark times.

When you get a chance, tune into a Raiders game... Oh wait; that'll make it worse.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
In 2011, the Bengals had...
7th overall defense
9th scoring defense
4th least sacks allowed
19th rushing offense

In 2019, the Bengals have...
25th overall defense
29th scoring defense
3rd most sacks allowed (4th if you are counting the Titans with one more game played, Titans had less after 2 games)
32nd rushing offense

- - - - - - - - -

Bad comparison attempt. This is a bad team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 09:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In 2011, the Bengals had...
7th overall defense
9th scoring defense
4th least sacks allowed
19th rushing offense

In 2019, the Bengals have...
25th overall defense
29th scoring defense
3rd most sacks allowed (4th if you are counting the Titans with one more game played, Titans had less after 2 games)
32nd rushing offense

- - - - - - - - -

Bad comparison attempt. This is a bad team.

Two weeks is a little early to start averaging out for the entire 2019 season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I thought this was gonna be a they should've drafted Julio and Kaepernick thread.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 09:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Two weeks is a little early to start averaging out for the entire 2019 season.

Hey! It's never too soon for "on the pace for-isms" The Bengals are on the pace for a stunning 4th quarter comeback to an empty stadium someday.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
This thread should be titled “Lost Decade redux” because this is what we have. This franchise NEVER learns from their mistakes. All through the lost decade this team NEVER did anything to improve the line. It has been three season of the same BS. They will not win more than three games this year. This organization is such a embarrassment. I am sick of seeing the same old story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 08:29 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Leonard!....that is all.

One of the most under rated Bengals, all that dude did was make plays!

This team could use someone with his heart and soul
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 06:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals coming off two straight losses (the last one to the Forty-niners) struggling with a losing record early in the first weeks of the season.  

Sound familiar?

Dalton finished with 298 passing yards and 2 tds (1 run, 1 pass).  It was the first victory in a 5 game winning streak that led to the Bengals making the playoffs.

Video or it didnt happen.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 09:46 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: This thread should be titled “Lost Decade redux” because this is what we have.  This franchise NEVER learns from their mistakes.  All through the lost decade this team NEVER did anything to improve the line.  It has been three season of the same BS.  They will not win more than three games this year.  This organization is such a embarrassment.  I am sick of seeing the same old story.  

I killed a gopher with a stick one time.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 05:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I killed a gopher with a stick one time.

As said by the same person who said Paul Alexander was the best o line coach in the NFL at one time....credibility means something

Reply/Quote
These are not your 2011 Cincinnati Bengals
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 05:36 PM)bengals73 Wrote: These are not your 2011 Cincinnati Bengals

2002, maybe.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
We beat 1 team with a winning record in 2011, so there is hope.
Reply/Quote