Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Playoff Implications
I don't start many threads, but thought one might be useful to track all weekly playoff implications.
I will update weekly.

AFC North Division  W  L  Division  Conference  Games Back  Games Left To Play
1. Cincinnati           8   0  3-0        7-0              X                 8
2. Pittsburgh          5   4  0-2        2-4              3.5               7
3. Baltimore           2   6  1-2        2-4              6                 8
4. Cleveland           2   7  1-1        2-5              6.5              7

AFC Contenders
1. New England      8   0   3-0       6-0         
2. Cincinnati           8   0   3-0      7-0
3. Denver              7   1   2-0      4-1
4. Indianapolis        4   5   3-0      4-3

5. Buffalo               5   4   3-1       5-3
6. N.Y. Jets            5   4   1-2       4-3
7. Pittsburgh           5   4    0-2      2-4
8. Oakland             4   4    1-1       4-3

See Post #59 on page #3 for Official tie breaker rules

Week 10 Playoff Implications:

1. Cincinnati v. Houston
Crucial Prime Time Home Game to stay undefeated (Setting new Bengals win streak record to 9 games).  Other important reasons to win this game: It's a Conference game and a common opponent with New England we are competing for #1 Conference Seed (1st Round Bye and Home Field).  Cincinnati and New England both play: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Houston, & Denver.  Who-Dey!

2. Cleveland v. Pittsburgh
Since both teams are division opponents, it doesn't matter which one wins affecting strength of schedule.  If Cleveland loses they would be 2-8 w/ just 6 games to play.  If Cincinnati wins also, that would make them 7.5 games back w/ 6 games to play - mathematically eliminating them from being able to catch the Bengals for AFC North.  

The best scenario for Cincinnati is Pittsburgh losing - falling to 5-5; and 0-3 in the division.  Since Cincy already won one game against Pitt, a tie would go to division record.  And Cincinnati is 3-0 in division now making just one victory in the division away from clinching that tie breaker from Pittsburgh.  But more devastating, w/ a Bengals win, Pittsburgh would be 4.5 games back of Cincinnati w/ just 6 to play.  In addition, NE played Pitt, but won't play CLE (SOS). Go Cleveland!

3.  Jacksonville v. Baltimore
A Ravens loss would make them 2-7.  Combined w/ a Cinncinati win they would be 7 games behind Cincinnati w/ 7 to play.  Cincinnati already beat them once so the tie breaker would be division record in which they are already 2-4.  That means a Ravens loss on Sunday would mathematically eliminate them from catching Cincinnati for AFC North Division.

Oddly, Bengals would rather Baltimore win this game.  It's most unlikely Ravens win the rest of their games and Bengals lose the rest of their games, so a Ravens win means more to Cincinnati boosting their strength of schedule - a tie breaker w/ New England.  Also, NE plays Jacksonville and a Jaguars loss would weaken NE SOS. Go Ravens!

4.  New England v. NY Giants
A Patriots loss could put them one game behind Cincinnati for the top seed in the AFC.  Giants could do it.  Go Giants!

5.  Chiefs v. Broncos
Both teams are regular season opponents of Cincinnati, so it doesn't matter which team loses from a SOS argument.  However, w/ Denver at 7-1, a Broncos loss could give Bengals a 2 game cushion over them for the #2 Seed in the AFC.  That would mean Denver could beat us and we'd still have a 1 game lead for that #2 Seed.  Go Chiefs!

6.  Other SOS (Strength of Schedule) Tie Breaker Implications:

Miami v. Philly - Go Eagles (NE plays both - but plays Miami 2x).
Chicago v. St.L - CIN plays Rams, so Go Rams!
Dallas v Tampa Bay - NE plays Cowboys, so Go Bucs!
Carolina v. Tenn - NE plays Titans, so Go Panthers!
NO v. Washington - NE plays Redskins, so Go Saints!
Minn v. Oakland - CIN played Oakland, so Go Raiders!

7. Games that mean nothing to Cincinnati this weekend:
Detroit v Green Bay - both NFC teams and neither NE nor CIN play either one.
Arizona v Seattle - both NFC teams & only CIN plays BOTH.  So rooting for one over another doesn't affect SOS.

I believe that's all the week 10 potential playoff implication impact games concerning Cincinnati.  It also gives more reason to pay attention and root for certain teams this weekend.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
Good thread. I made a similar one (but didn't list out the teams and who we should root for). Will be interesting to see how things play out.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I didn't realize until going through all this that BOTH Baltimore and Cleveland could be mathematically eliminated from the division race this week. I would've been disappointed in a Ravens win tomorrow, but now I'm actually rooting for them. I suppose in addition to SOS - NE plays Jax and we play BALT 2x - A Ravens win also helps them to pick lower in next year's draft.
Reply/Quote
On non-playoff notes, I'm also rooting for Cleveland and Baltimore.

Cleveland vs Pittsburgh

1. Cleveland winning puts Pittsburgh behind a playoff eight ball.
2. F Pittsburgh
3. I want Manziel to play the kind of magical game that puts Cleveland in a QB quandary for another year or two.
4. F Pittsburgh!

Jacksonville vs Baltimore

1. Baltimore isn't going to the post season, so they need a "dead cat bounce" to not give Ozzie a top 10 pick.
2. When it doesn't really matter, I tend to channel my inner child and root for the other teams with cat mascots. :)
Reply/Quote
Another Pittsburgh loss keeps them behind in the race for the wildcard which also has some long term implication for us. Pittsburgh is a team that can easily go on a 3 game run in Janurary. I'd rather not to let them even try.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 10:54 AM)pally Wrote: Another Pittsburgh loss keeps them behind in the race for the wildcard which also has some long term implication for us.  Pittsburgh is a team that can easily go on a 3 game run in Janurary.  I'd rather not to let them even try.

That's true!  Pittsburgh is currently tied w/ Jets and Bills for the 2 wild card spots, but wouldn't make it ahead of them by tie breakers.  A Pittsburgh loss is also a conference loss and Pittsburgh has the worst conference record already of all the wild card contenders.  Just one more reason to root for Cleveland.  
Reply/Quote
I will be a huge Giants fan for 3hrs today.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This

And Browns fan
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 01:18 PM)Whacked Wrote: This

And Browns fan

Yes ! Giants and Browns
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 03:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes ! Giants and Browns

Those are the two most important games w/ potential to affect Cincinnati today.  
Reply/Quote
One of the teams I really don't want to meet in the playoffs is Pittsburgh. With a healthy Ben they are better than Buffalo, New York or Oakland. Even if it hits at our SOS, I'd rather see Pittsburgh lose enough to not make it in.

There's still lots of games left and any of these 5-4 teams can get hot and suddenly be a 11-5 team with momentum.

Reply/Quote
Agreed. Hard to deny that Ben and Brown are not something special. Bryant too.

We can trade punches with them for sure but they make me nervous.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 04:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: One of the teams I really don't want to meet in the playoffs is Pittsburgh. With a healthy Ben they are better than Buffalo, New York or Oakland. Even if it hits at our SOS, I'd rather see Pittsburgh lose enough to not make it in.

There's still lots of games left and any of these 5-4 teams can get hot and suddenly be a 11-5 team with momentum.

I would agree w/ that assessment.  I'd pretty much always root against Pittsburgh w/ very few exceptions.  I don't want to see them in the playoffs at all.  
Reply/Quote
So much for the Ravens helping with strength of schedule. Meh, I can live with it LOL
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 01:44 AM)West Union KennyG Wrote: I don't start many threads, but thought one might be useful to track all weekly playoff implications.
I will update weekly.

AFC North Division  W  L  Division  Conference  Games Back  Games Left To Play
1. Cincinnati           8   0  3-0        7-0              X                 8
2. Pittsburgh          5   4  0-2        2-4              3.5               7
3. Baltimore           2   6  1-2        2-4              6                 8
4. Cleveland           2   7  1-1        2-5              6.5              7

AFC Contenders
1. New England      8   0   3-0       6-0         
2. Cincinnati           8   0   3-0      7-0
3. Denver              7   1   2-0      4-1
4. Indianapolis        4   5   3-0      4-3

5. Buffalo               5   4   3-1       5-3
6. N.Y. Jets            5   4   1-2       4-3
7. Pittsburgh           5   4    0-2      2-4
8. Oakland             4   4    1-1       4-3

Week 10 Playoff Implications:

1. Cincinnati v. Houston
Crucial Prime Time Home Game to stay undefeated (Setting new Bengals win streak record to 9 games).  Other important reasons to win this game: It's a Conference game and a common opponent with New England we are competing for #1 Conference Seed (1st Round Bye and Home Field).  Cincinnati and New England both play: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Houston, & Denver.  Who-Dey!

2. Cleveland v. Pittsburgh
Since both teams are division opponents, it doesn't matter which one wins affecting strength of schedule.  If Cleveland loses they would be 2-8 w/ just 6 games to play.  If Cincinnati wins also, that would make them 7.5 games back w/ 6 games to play - mathematically eliminating them from being able to catch the Bengals for AFC North.  

The best scenario for Cincinnati is Pittsburgh losing - falling to 5-5; and 0-3 in the division.  Since Cincy already won one game against Pitt, a tie would go to division record.  And Cincinnati is 3-0 in division now making just one victory in the division away from clinching that tie breaker from Pittsburgh.  But more devastating, w/ a Bengals win, Pittsburgh would be 4.5 games back of Cincinnati w/ just 6 to play.  In addition, NE played Pitt, but won't play CLE (SOS). Go Cleveland!

3.  Jacksonville v. Baltimore
A Ravens loss would make them 2-7.  Combined w/ a Cinncinati win they would be 7 games behind Cincinnati w/ 7 to play.  Cincinnati already beat them once so the tie breaker would be division record in which they are already 2-4.  That means a Ravens loss on Sunday would mathematically eliminate them from catching Cincinnati for AFC North Division.

Oddly, Bengals would rather Baltimore win this game.  It's most unlikely Ravens win the rest of their games and Bengals lose the rest of their games, so a Ravens win means more to Cincinnati boosting their strength of schedule - a tie breaker w/ New England.  Also, NE plays Jacksonville and a Jaguars loss would weaken NE SOS. Go Ravens!

4.  New England v. NY Giants
A Patriots loss could put them one game behind Cincinnati for the top seed in the AFC.  Giants could do it.  Go Giants!

5.  Chiefs v. Broncos
Both teams are regular season opponents of Cincinnati, so it doesn't matter which team loses from a SOS argument.  However, w/ Denver at 7-1, a Broncos loss could give Bengals a 2 game cushion over them for the #2 Seed in the AFC.  That would mean Denver could beat us and we'd still have a 1 game lead for that #2 Seed.  Go Chiefs!

6.  Other SOS (Strength of Schedule) Tie Breaker Implications:

Miami v. Philly - Go Eagles (NE plays both - but plays Miami 2x).
Chicago v. St.L - CIN plays Rams, so Go Rams!
Dallas v Tampa Bay - NE plays Cowboys, so Go Bucs!
Carolina v. Tenn - NE plays Titans, so Go Panthers!
NO v. Washington - NE plays Redskins, so Go Saints!
Minn v. Oakland - CIN played Oakland, so Go Raiders!

7. Games that mean nothing to Cincinnati this weekend:
Detroit v Green Bay - both NFC teams and neither NE nor CIN play either one.
Arizona v Seattle - both NFC teams & only CIN plays BOTH.  So rooting for one over another doesn't affect SOS.

I believe that's all the week 10 potential playoff implication impact games concerning Cincinnati.  It also gives more reason to pay attention and root for certain teams this weekend.

WOW! WUKG. This is impressive. I would never have been able to figure out all the implications. Wink
Reply/Quote
Can the Giants do this?

Reply/Quote
[Image: giants.gif][Image: lets-go-chiefs-florian-rodarte.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Chiefs have left so many points on the field; Santos strikes again, 5-5.
Reply/Quote
Peyton's 5 of 20 for 35 yards and 3 picks, Denver has 49 yards of offense and haven't yet crossed mid-field.

Hello, first round bye LOL
Reply/Quote
Make that 4 picks...

Reply/Quote