Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2015 - an 8 and 0 start - #1 in the Power Rankings – Mike & Marvin’s Peak time
(02-09-2018, 01:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Say what? The Seahawks finished 10-6 and win a playoff game and you say they sucked that year?

No.  I said the Seahawks were good that year.  Gohards said they sucked just to diminish the Bengals victory over them.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I said the Seahawks were good that year.  Gohards said they sucked just to diminish the Bengals victory over them.

So he did, my apologies!
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 01:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are probably confused because you have not followed the conversation in this thread.

When the Bengals beat a team that won a playoff game (Seahawks) Gohards claimed it was meaningless because the Seahawks actually sucked that year.

Oh, I apologize about that then.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 12:22 PM)depthchart Wrote: Giving Marvin the Steeler game that he was oh so close on would have killed the "no playoff win" chants.

People have a right to make those chants but in my mind it oversimplifies a bigger issue.

The same people can chant the same "no playoff win" chants about Dalton, yet Dalton didn't even get to play in the playoffs with what would have been his best team in 2015. Marvin without Dalton for his 2015 team.

I see things more in Ranges.

Say a Range of Aptitude for Mike & Marvin.

7 to 10 wins with 11 to 12 possible in the Regular Season. (12 and 4 in 2015)

In my mind, teams that win 10 to 12 games in a Regular season are more than capable of winning a Playoff game.

It would not surprise me one bit if Mike & Marvin win a Playoff game within the next two years because they have been on that Bubble quite often. The chanters imply it to be an impossibility and that the 2015 team even with a healthy Dalton was incapable.

I see a glimmer of Hope here but Mike & Marvin's Range of Aptitude may not extend much beyond say getting that controversial Playoff win someday.

So in short, I think they can build a Playoff game winning team someday and had at least two in the past that were capable. (2015 & Palmer/Henry team)

I am not as hopeful that their Range of Aptitude would extend much beyond a Playoff win or maybe even two, however.

They do not go for it enough with personnel moves to go much further than that and Marvin may not be in the caliber of many of the successful playoff coaches he competes against.

I am trying to dial in a Range of what may be hoped for in a realistic way while having 0 and 7 chanters in my ear.

I don't include you as a chanter. I have found you to be very realistic.

Great post. This is precisely how I feel. They will get a playoff win sooner or later...it's just a matter of time. However, the elusive SB appearance is different story entirely. 
Reply/Quote
It was a good blah rant Depthchart lol

True enough, they were right there under Marv and with this owner. It could happen you never know.

The O-line needs to get back to where it was at that time which could happen with Pollack as the new O-line coach and with a FA
and a couple draft picks. If Pollack can coach up our worst players we could be right back in that position of a home playoff game
and with our young players like Lawson, Mixon, Will Jax, Willis, Billings we could be tough.

Like i have been saying, if we can run the ball well Marv's 2nd half conservative approach just might work.

The Defense has the players in place and Billings should really improve next year after that injury so we can be much better at
stopping the run. We have a pass rush, add a speedy LB and if this Defense is not on the field all the damn time they can be one
of the best.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 02:32 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Great post. This is precisely how I feel. They will get a playoff win sooner or later...it's just a matter of time. However, the elusive SB appearance is different story entirely. 

Shit, if they won one playoff game it would be such a huge monkey off their back i could see them making that run.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 02:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Shit, if they won one playoff game it would be such a huge monkey off their back i could see them making that run.

Any given Sunday, right? But I just don't see it with how this team has played under the bright lights so far. Things change quickly and not saying it's impossible, but going off what I have seen from them, it just doesn't seem plausible.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 03:01 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Any given Sunday, right? But I just don't see it with how this team has played under the bright lights so far. Things change quickly and not saying it's impossible, but going off what I have seen from them, it just doesn't seem plausible.

Understandable. The team would gain a ton of confidence if they just got one Playoff win though.

No team in the NFL needs or wants it more i am sure. This is one big damn monkey dude.
Reply/Quote
Super thread. Nice to see an outbreak of realistic optimism.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Understandable. The team would gain a ton of confidence if they just got one Playoff win though.

No team in the NFL needs or wants it more i am sure. This is one big damn monkey dude.

Especially the fans/city! I am not naive enough to think that we're going to be the Pats...but why the fans have been so bitter lately is because that progress has stopped. The fans have lost confidence in this team, this team has lost confidence in itself, and it's just a cascading effect. Oddly enough, if they rebound and make a run, their confidence and that of the fans would increase as well. Doesn't have to be a SB our nobody is happy. 

Just progress.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 03:48 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Especially the fans/city! I am not naive enough to think that we're going to be the Pats...but why the fans have been so bitter lately is because that progress has stopped. The fans have lost confidence in this team, this team has lost confidence in itself, and it's just a cascading effect. Oddly enough, if they rebound and make a run, their confidence and that of the fans would increase as well. Doesn't have to be a SB our nobody is happy. 

Just progress.

The problem is, NOBODY has any trust in the MB! The old fool is so out of touch with modern football, to make any progress to begin with. Killed me to read, that he didn't have any idea Marvin might be leaving until that news flash right before the Vikings game, really?? Then he and Merv kissed and made up and promised sweeping changes to how things are going to be done. Now there are reports that is all facade... 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 04:01 PM)sandwedge Wrote: The problem is, NOBODY has any trust in the MB! The old fool is so out of touch with modern football, to make any progress to begin with. Killed me to read, that he didn't have any idea Marvin might be leaving until that news flash right before the Vikings game, really?? Then he and Merv kissed and made up and promised sweeping changes to how things are going to be done. Now there are reports that is all facade... 

We will know if it is all a facade when FA comes and goes, until then i will hold out a little hope.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will know if it is all a facade when FA comes and goes, until then i will hold out a little hope.

My thread here implies that if Mike & Marvin can Peak again then maybe a Playoff win occurs this next chance.

Offers some Hope yet is cautiously skeptical.

I would think that they would want to improve their reputations and push towards building another 2015 caliber team that may just squeak over that Playoff win hump.

They need to get it in Gear, use Free Agency and Draft well just to have a chance to Peak again.

Their past Peak's (2015/Palmer/Henry teams) are both a compliment to them and a negative to them that they don't Peak higher and more often, with key injuries on those two teams making us wonder what may have been. That if healthy they could have Peaked higher.

I would not Bet money that they pull it off (the Playoff win) but see it as being possible. They have to INVEST in trying to do it. To want it.

Not convinced they will push for it even though they claim turning over a New Leaf.

This is sadly what optimism looks like in Cincy.

Look at the past Peaks as indicators that they could Peak one step higher some time in the future with a healthy Peaking team.

Low hopes to some and high, impossible hopes to others.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 04:47 PM)depthchart Wrote: My thread here implies that if Mike & Marvin can Peak again then maybe a Playoff win occurs this next chance.

Offers some Hope yet is cautiously skeptical.

I would think that they would want to improve their reputations and push towards building another 2015 caliber team that may just squeak over that Playoff win hump.

They need to get it in Gear, use Free Agency and Draft well just to have a chance to Peak again.

Their past Peak's (2015/Palmer/Henry teams) are both a compliment to them and a negative to them that they don't Peak higher and more often, with key injuries on those two teams making us wonder what may have been. That if healthy they could have Peaked higher.

I would not Bet money that they pull it off (the Playoff win) but see it as being possible. They have to INVEST in trying to do it. To want it.

Not convinced they will push for it even though they claim turning over a New Leaf.

This is sadly what optimism looks like in Cincy.

Look at the past Peaks as indicators that they could Peak one step higher some time in the future with a healthy Peaking team.

Low hopes to some and high, impossible hopes to others.

Yep, life of a Bengals fan.

Should happen one more time in the Dalton/Green/Burfict era i figure.

The last Peak we had a decent O-line, i think this is where it will hinge.

Just happy we moved on from PA, atleast now we might have a chance at a decent O-line again. That stubborness we witnessed
the last few years from PA really hurt this team. You just don't start poor players to the detriment of the team. PA saw these players
in practice, he knew, but we started them anyways and acted like we didn't need upgrades. This has to change.

Need to acknowledge that we need a new Center and LT.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 12:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of people here disagree with you.

From now on whenever anyone here brings up Marvin or Mikes playoff history I am going to post this quote from you.

They mean nothing.  Ancient history.  Might as well be a hundred years ago, Geoff.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 12:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of people here disagree with you.

From now on whenever anyone here brings up Marvin or Mikes playoff history I am going to post this quote from you.

Agree to disagree on the definition of a lot.  You say it means one.  I disagree.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 09:28 PM)McC Wrote: Agree to disagree on the definition of a lot. 

How many mentions of 0-7 get posted here per day?

If it doesn't happen much then you don't have to worry about seeing your quote brought up very often, do you?
Reply/Quote
The Seahawks game was when I gained the reputation for making them come from behind by going fishing.. I really haven't been fishing much since then so hypothetically the whole past few years debocles have been my fault. The entire city of Cincinnati can blame me which kind of lets Mike and Marvin off the hook..
I've often thought that digging my own grave might be worthwhile. At least the corners of the hole would be nice and square like they always are in the movies.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 04:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, life of a Bengals fan.

Should happen one more time in the Dalton/Green/Burfict era i figure.

The last Peak we had a decent O-line, i think this is where it will hinge.

Just happy we moved on from PA, atleast now we might have a chance at a decent O-line again. That stubborness we witnessed
the last few years from PA really hurt this team. You just don't start poor players to the detriment of the team. PA saw these players
in practice, he knew, but we started them anyways and acted like we didn't need upgrades. This has to change.

Need to acknowledge that we need a new Center and LT.

Was the O-line really even that good during the playoff seasons? I do not particularly remember it dominating anyone (certainly not from a rushing perspective).

And 2015 wasn't its fairly decent rating inflated due to Dalton getting rid of the ball quickly?

I would be interested to see how this team might progress with a genuinely good OL.
Reply/Quote
Quote:The problem is, NOBODY has any trust in the MB! 
I think it's pretty well established that there's no requirement to trust MB in order to be a Bengals fan. Furthermore I'm pretty sure he's acutely aware of it.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote