Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Another Year of the Same??
(05-11-2016, 03:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think the Dalton injury last year was just as cruel as the Carson Palmer injury.

Both of them really took an AFC Title away from the Bengals.  I'm not as sure about the 2005 team, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Bengals would have been in the Super Bowl last year if Dalton doesn't go down.

No doubt whatsoever!!

For me, it's not thinking they 'can't' do it, it's believing what it's going to take for it to happen.  I still say once they win the first playoff game, they will win the SB, and once they do that, it will be like the Red Sox from 2004 to the present.

BUT   ....   until that happens, I will be rooting like crazy, but also waiting for the other shoe to drop.

They need to be able to beat the Steelers, with poise, and start winning the big stage games, BEFORE, they can consider winning in the playoffs, IMHO.

As a sidebar, my son, wife and I were watching the Bengal/Steeler playoff game, and when Burfict intercepted that pass, my son, said, "That's it, they've just won their first playoff game!"

My response was, "Not until there is no time on the clock, they are at least 1 point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field!"
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I view this year as the last year before a huge change if something doesn't change.

Marvin has been here for far too long, but we also have players who are on their way out.

Adam Jones, Andrew Whitworth, Domata Peko, and Rey Maualuga could all be gone next year.

We already have some new starters having to step in this year after losing Hall and Nelson.

2015 is going to be the BIGGEST "What If" season the Bengals have ever had. Yes. I rank it higher than the 2005 season, because I honestly believe in every facet of the game that the 2015 team was better. Even with AJ McCarron, this team continue to do well. That defense was better even at creating turnovers. Had 7 more INTs and 1 more fumble recovery.

If this team can't win a playoff game next year, Marvin NEEDS to be done. This is a very talented team, and needs to actually set the bar instead of reaching the same spot year in and year out.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 04:01 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Honestly, I view this year as the last year before a huge change if something doesn't change.

Marvin has been here for far too long, but we also have players who are on their way out.

Adam Jones, Andrew Whitworth, Domata Peko, and Rey Maualuga could all be gone next year.

We already have some new starters having to step in this year after losing Hall and Nelson.

2015 is going to be the BIGGEST "What If" season the Bengals have ever had. Yes. I rank it higher than the 2005 season, because I honestly believe in every facet of the game that the 2015 team was better. Even with AJ McCarron, this team continue to do well. That defense was better even at creating turnovers. Had 7 more INTs and 1 more fumble recovery.

If this team can't win a playoff game next year, Marvin NEEDS to be done. This is a very talented team, and needs to actually set the bar instead of reaching the same spot year in and year out.
I won't agree or disagree with your opinion, but I do know many share it.

Here's what I know as factual:

1.  Lewis is signed for 2017, and unless this team disintegrates this year, and/or Mike Brown has a fatal aneurysm, and/or Lewis retires, he will be the head coach in 2017.

2.  Lewis has made the playoffs 7 times (years), Paul Brown 3 times (years), Forrest Gregg 2 times (years), Sam Wyche 2 times (years)

3.  Andy Dalton played 5 years and made the playoffs 5 times (years), Kenny Anderson played 16 years and made the playoffs 4 times (years), Boomer Esiason played 12 years and made the playoffs 2 times (years)

4.  It doesn't matter how many playoff games a team wins, unless they win the last one.  (Again, ask Jim Kelly or Dan Marino)
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 04:01 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Honestly, I view this year as the last year before a huge change if something doesn't change.

I agree with your assessment about the 2015 season vs. 2005 team.  However, your statement about Marvin being gone it they can't win a playoff game this year is too rigid.  If the team goes in healthy and lays an emotional egg and looks flat, ok.  But if they are playing with a backup QB, etc., not so much.

I sincerely hope the team gears itself for the postseason in terms of pounding the ball late in games with a lead to protect AJ, Andy, etc. against unnecessary shots.  And I hope that they are able to rotate in a number of backs.

Using the two TE formation with Kroft and Eifert, or having Fisher in as the extra TE and just hammering it down people's throats at the end of a game would be awesome.  Having a healthy Hewitt again will help this.  

Also, no QB read-options.  They simply aren't worth the risk.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 04:57 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I won't agree or disagree with your opinion, but I do know many share it.

1.  Lewis is signed for 2017, and unless this team disintegrates this year, and/or Mike Brown has a fatal aneurysm, and/or Lewis retires, he will be the head coach in 2017.

2.  Lewis has made the playoffs 7 times (years), Paul Brown 3 times (years), Forrest Gregg 2 times (years), Sam Wyche 2 times (years)

3.  Andy Dalton played 5 years and made the playoffs 5 times (years), Kenny Anderson played 16 years and made the playoffs 4 times (years), Boomer Esiason played 12 years and made the playoffs 2 times (years)

4.  It doesn't matter how many playoff games a team wins, unless they win the last one.  (Again, ask Jim Kelly or Dan Marino)

Focusing on #4, That is what makes me so excited.  This team is very close. Every year they have a very real shot.  Yes, it equates to pressure, but it is like Kiper said when Dalton was drafted.  The kid is allergic to losing.  And I love this team right now....absolutely love it. 
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 05:12 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: ..............Also, no QB read-options.  They simply aren't worth the risk.  

Why?  According to many, this is Dalton's strength!  Heck, even Hue Jackson said Dalton had a standing green light for audibles.  

With the new OC, I'm hoping he gives that same green light to Andy.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 04:57 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I won't agree or disagree with your opinion, but I do know many share it.

it's silly to think one or two PO wins wouldn't do wonders for this team and city.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 05:25 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: it's silly to think one or two PO wins wouldn't do wonders for this team and city.

Such as ...?
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 07:15 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Such as ...?

Not having a coach break a Jim Mora record.

Less than two decades of PO futility. If you want to throw in the Reds, it makes it that much harder.

2-7 is better than 0-7. And so on.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals grind, they got everything they need to go to the SB this year.

AD is going to have a big year this year. The game looked to slow down for him last year.

I believe he is going to be in complete control of the offense this year.

Crushing smothering D and a vet QB in complete control.

That is a combination we haven't had for a long time.

Time to go to work and grind because it isn't going to be handed to them.

This team is going to be a meat grinder and the rest of the league knows it.

I can't frickin wait. 

Who Dey!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 07:45 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Not having a coach break a Jim Mora record.

Less than two decades of PO futility. If you want to throw in the Reds, it makes it that much harder.

2-7 is better than 0-7. And so on.

Coaching records?? How many fans, outside of the die-hard, face painting, football isolators, aren't loving the idea of being able to watch the Bengals every Sunday, for the last 5 years, knowing they are capable of winning each week?

I remember the Bills NOT for an 0-4 SB record, but for playing in 4 straight SBs, a feat that will probably NEVER be equaled by any team.

Only 12 teams each year have even a chance to win the SB. You can't win a championship unless you make the playoffs. After that, there are 11 losers and one champion.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 05:22 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Why?  According to many, this is Dalton's strength!  Heck, even Hue Jackson said Dalton had a standing green light for audibles.  

With the new OC, I'm hoping he gives that same green light to Andy.

As long as he slides....
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 10:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: As long as he slides....

More importantly, no more tackles!
Reply/Quote
Despite the lack of PO wins nobody can say with a shread of honesty that the Bengals aren't a fun team to watch play football.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 06:20 AM)grampahol Wrote: Despite the lack of PO wins nobody can say with a shread of honesty that the Bengals aren't a fun team to watch play football.

Concur 100% as I said above. Yes, rooting every year to be the one winner, opposed to the 31 losers, but still enjoying the journey regardless.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 08:35 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Coaching records??  How many fans, outside of the die-hard, face painting, football isolators, aren't loving the idea of being able to watch the Bengals every Sunday, for the last 5 years, knowing they are capable of winning each week?

I remember the Bills NOT for an 0-4 SB record, but for playing in 4 straight SBs, a feat that will probably NEVER be equaled by any team.

Only 12 teams each year have even a chance to win the SB.  You can't win a championship unless you make the playoffs.  After that, there are 11 losers and one champion.

Never said this wasn't a fun/much better team. I said it's silly to think NOT having a few PO wins thru this much better decade of football is = or the same as not winning any. Winning one or two PO games will always be better than not winning any at all.

Do I really need to argue this? 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 09:31 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Never said this wasn't a fun/much better team. I said it's silly to think NOT having a few PO wins thru this much better decade of football is = or the same as not winning any. Winning one or two PO games will always be better than not winning any at all.

Do I really need to argue this? 

No, because it's an opinion, from my perspective, I see as pointless.  Making the playoffs, being one of only 12 teams to have a 'chance' to be a champion is very difficult to do, a feat in and of itself.

The Bengals are one of only 4 teams to have made the playoffs 5 years in a row.  The other 3 teams have won at least one SB.

Would be willing to bet the cities are counting Lombardi trophies and not PO victories.

Potential is definitely there, maybe 2016 will be the year!
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 01:21 PM)jason Wrote: I was 6 when they went to the SB the1st time.

I totally agree with you. I don't generally get caught up in all the angst about this team. I go into every year thinking they have a shot. I don't flip out when they get bounced in the 1st round. What's 1 extra win? Every team except the champions lose their last game.

I REALLY like their chances this year. I think they KNOW they can win in the playoffs. It doesn't matter what fans think. I think securing home field will be key & why can't they do it? As of now, Brady is out til week 5. Denver is rolling with Dirty Sanchez or some rookie at QB. KC? C'mon now. Is Miami really gonna rise up this year?

The Bengals' were a great team last year and they have added to that with guys who will contribute this year. They have a real shot.

Rock On
Reply/Quote