Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 - Mario Alford
Our 7th round pick last year with very similar characteristics to Andrew Hawkins (who went undrafted). Does anyone else see him becoming a similar threat? Even a chance to return punts or kicks? In watching this kid at WVU, he seems like he has the ability to have big play impact, and with a couple of our WR's becoming free agents, do we let someone slide to have him take the 5/6 slot?

I've just seen so many smaller/quicker guys like this in the slot who have made massive impacts - not that he would right away. But it would be interesting to see him catch the ball in space. Haven't seen enough of him in preseason or anything to make that judgment - but it would be interesting if we could get him going.
Reply/Quote
I just want to make it clear right now that Mario Alford will never do anything for this team.
Reply/Quote
He did have 15 receiving yards.. So that's something.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I just want to make it clear right now that Mario Alford will never do anything for this team.

Based off of what?

Saying this is just as out there as saying he will be a starter. Either way we know very little about the way he has progressed.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:34 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Based off of what?

Saying this is just as out there as saying he will be a starter. Either way we know very little about the way he has progressed.

The same basis that the OP has for his Mario Alford assessment, opinion.

But, I will say, the likelihood of a 7th rounder cracking our lineup is less likely than him not cracking the lineup, so there is a better chance I'm right.
Reply/Quote
He can be Brandon Tates replacement....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see him become something for this team, but I'm guessing there's a spot on the PS waiting for him next season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I just want to make it clear right now that Mario Alford will never do anything for this team.

Wow what a Strong statement!  you came right out of the gate on that one.  LOL!!
Reply/Quote

So you think he will never have another catch or return for this team? 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:48 PM)corpjet Wrote: He can be Brandon Tates replacement....

I was hoping for this last year.  Fact of the matter is, he had his chance in the preseason and didn't take advantage of it.  Maybe he's developed more for this role come next season but who knows.  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:48 PM)corpjet Wrote: He can be Brandon Tates replacement....

Kind of what I am hoping for as well. What value add to Tate bring us this year (other than the 1 diving TD catch against the KC chiefs)? He didn't fumble, which was nice, but he also didn't break off any large plays in the PR/KR area. I think Mario could bring a bigger upside in that area, even if he doesn't see the field much on offense.
Reply/Quote
it depends on what people consider a significant contribution. If he becomes a gunner on the punt team and returns kick offs and plays a handful of snaps on offense then I think that is a significant contribution and are things I could see happening next season.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:20 PM)NKYRob Wrote: I was hoping for this last year.  Fact of the matter is, he had his chance in the preseason and didn't take advantage of it.  Maybe he's developed more for this role come next season but who knows.  

Honestly, though, from what I remember, he didn't get all that much of a chance.  He made the 53 but I don't think it was ever planned for him to be in the lineup.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:28 PM)mroudfly Wrote: Our 7th round pick last year with very similar characteristics to Andrew Hawkins (who went undrafted). Does anyone else see him becoming a similar threat? Even a chance to return punts or kicks? In watching this kid at WVU, he seems like he has the ability to have big play impact, and with a couple of our WR's becoming free agents, do we let someone slide to have him take the 5/6 slot?

I've just seen so many smaller/quicker guys like this in the slot who have made massive impacts - not that he would right away. But it would be interesting to see him catch the ball in space. Haven't seen enough of him in preseason or anything to make that judgment - but it would be interesting if we could get him going.

I'd love to see this kid an Kummerow get a chance. Alford was active for what one game and sure as hell made a play, his only play for 15yds, and Kummerow has size, speed, and finesse and was impressive every little chance he had in the pre-season.
Reply/Quote