Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 and Forward: A Hypothethical
Lets suppose for a moment that, regardless of QB situation, that we lost in the postseason to the likely Jets.

Where does the organization move from here. Does ownership do the unthinkable and fire Marvin Lewis? A lot of people may think no, but I think it will happen. Heres why.

Media around the NFL started mentioning it as the season started. This year we had the best roster since the mythical team from the 80s. It's going to be tragic to see that go to waste and a Free Agency period that is going to be devastating to the point that the team can only regress--even if slightly. Mike Brown only giving Marvin one year contracts arouses my suspicion as well. Why isn't he able to commit his unconditional love for Marvin for the long-run? If the front office though lewis was the answer, then surely he would've gotten a contract lasting longer for one year.

Also, say what you want about the guy. He has had 14 years. 14 years to win a playoff game. I think Stephen A Smith said it best when we lost to the Chargers.

But what do you guys think. If this team tragically goes one and down again, does anything change?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 01:36 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Lets suppose for a moment that, regardless of QB situation, that we lost in the postseason to the likely Jets.

Where does the organization move from here. Does ownership do the unthinkable and fire Marvin Lewis? A lot of people may think no, but I think it will happen. Heres why.

Media around the NFL started mentioning it as the season started. This year we had the best roster since the mythical team from the 80s. It's going to be tragic to see that go to waste and a Free Agency period that is going to be devastating to the point that the team can only regress--even if slightly. Mike Brown only giving Marvin one year contracts arouse my suspicion as well. Why isn't he able to commit his unconditional love for Marvin for the long-run. If the front office though lewis was the answer, then surely he would've gotten a contract laster longer for one year.

Also, say what you want about the guy. He has had 14 years. 14 years to win a playoff game. I think Stephen A Smith said it best when we lost to the Chargers.

But what do you guys think. If this team tragically goes one and down again, does anything change?
Tough call I think we might have to include the situation and what barring that has on a firing of Coach Lewis...  I dont see him being fired this year cause it could easily be pinned on losing a QB that has had a TERRIFIC Year!!  So I dont see it being this year if we do not make the playoffs.. but Great post...  I think this group is the last group Marvin will be coaching unless they win a superbowl.. so....  tough call based on this year..
Reply/Quote
When do the excuses end though? Lewis has had over a decade. It's amazing that people haven't talked about possibly firing Lewis until this year. Nowadays, even in threads that aren't centered around any teams that I partake in, I hear moderators say things like:

"Is it me or does the Bengals' coaching staff always come into the 2nd half to be outplayed by adjustments?"

AND

"Bengals' fans and their team have more mood-swings in a season than a preteen period"
Reply/Quote
Fired ? Highly unlikely

Our only real hope is that they create a position for him in the FO and he steps down as HC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Remember when the Reds got tired of just making he playoffs?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 02:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Remember when the Reds got tired of just making he playoffs?

Oh yes we should fear change, I mean look what we're giving up. Winning 10 regular season games early in the year. Then going down like the Titanic at the end.

Put me down for wanting to stand pat and give it just one more try  after the inevitable happens again this season.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
That's good and all but we also have to acknowledge that Marvin Lewis is also the real GM of the team and has done a bell of a job putting this roster together. How about this instead of firing Marvin we promote him to the official GM of the team( or president of Football operations) and Hire Hue Jackson as head coach.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 02:20 AM)J24 Wrote: That's good and all but we also have to acknowledge  that Marvin Lewis is also the real GM of the team and has done a bell of a job putting this roster together. How about this instead of firing Marvin we promote  him to the official GM of the team( or president of Football operations) and Hire Hue Jackson as head coach.

Great idea, but I don't see Mike Brown hiring a GM after putting it off for 25 years.  We have to keep Marvin as a HC if we want him to make personnel decisions.  Imagine if the Browns/Ravens forced Ozzie Newsome to be the HC and the GM for the past 25 years and you'll get an idea of the situation we are in.
Reply/Quote
What happens if we lose in the first round?

It's simple. Marvin will remain the head coach. Hue will get hired to be a head coach somewhere else. Free agency will come and go with a mediocre signing or two. Iloka will probably be tagged while we work on an extension with Jones. The owners' meeting will come with the news that Marvin has received another 1 year extension to prevent him from being a lame duck. We'll have another A-/B+ type of draft and enter the 2016 season just like we entered this one.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 05:34 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: What happens if we lose in the first round?

It's simple. Marvin will remain the head coach. Hue will get hired to be a head coach somewhere else. Free agency will come and go with a mediocre signing or two. Iloka will probably be tagged while we work on an extension with Jones. The owners' meeting will come with the news that Marvin has received another 1 year extension to prevent him from being a lame duck. We'll have another A-/B+ type of draft and enter the 2016 season just like we entered this one.

Dude....are you psychic? Nervous

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 05:34 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: What happens if we lose in the first round?

Personally, I'd be happy if Hue left.

I blame him for Dalton's injury because who in their right mind calls a screen from inside the 5?????
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 01:36 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Lets suppose for a moment that, regardless of QB situation, that we lost in the postseason to the likely Jets.

Media around the NFL started mentioning it as the season started. This year we had the best roster since the mythical team from the 80s. It's going to be tragic to see that go to waste and a Free Agency period that is going to be devastating to the point that the team can only regress--even if slightly. Mike Brown only giving Marvin one year contracts arouses my suspicion as well. Why isn't he able to commit his unconditional love for Marvin for the long-run? If the front office though lewis was the answer, then surely he would've gotten a contract lasting longer for one year.

the team is set for set back next year with free agents... but if losing your QB whos on an MVP type season a few weeks before the playoffs(and 2 wins shy of a Bye week) doesnt bye you another year nothing will...

Really... Marvin took controll in 2011 and since then each year has been better than the last. They were patient and built things their way and we are seeing the results of that this year. or were until an unfortante injury momentarily derailed us.

This was his best year yet... would you really want to change now?

there could be change. Would it be the best for the Bengals? we wont ever know the answer to that either way.
Reply/Quote

Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 05:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Personally, I'd be happy if Hue left.

I blame him for Dalton's injury because who in their right mind calls a screen from inside the 5?????

I agree it was a bad call but its stupid to blame him for Andy's injury. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 03:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Great idea, but I don't see Mike Brown hiring a GM after putting it off for 25 years.  We have to keep Marvin as a HC if we want him to make personnel decisions.  Imagine if the Browns/Ravens forced Ozzie Newsome to be the HC and the GM for the past 25 years and you'll get an idea of the situation we are in.

Holy crap we agree on a issue!!!
J24

Reply/Quote
I don't know of any team that drafts better than us and alot of it has to do with Marvin. I wouldn't mind him moving up in the FO but likely not to happen .

So if marvin was fired where would we go from there? Take a chance on a no name ? I guess hue would become head coach but I'd only want that if marvin was still with the organization ..
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:31 PM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: I don't know of any team that drafts better than us and alot of it has to do with Marvin.  I wouldn't mind him moving up in the FO but likely not to happen .

So if marvin was fired where would we go from there? Take a chance on a no name ? I guess hue would become head coach but I'd only want that if marvin was still with the organization ..

It'd be Hue. If we somehow messed up and let Hue leave and then let Marvin go, or he retired, I'm sure we'd give Vance Joseph a look.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 01:54 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fired ? Highly unlikely

Our only real hope is that they create a position for him in the FO and he steps down as HC.

They should have done that for Zimmer.  If they do it for Hue I'll be kind of pissed.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:35 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: They should have done that for Zimmer.  If they do it for Hue I'll be kind of pissed.

From reports I read, they did want Zimmer to take one more year to stay with the Bengals and see how the season goes. Ultimately, he went to the Vikings anyway.

The Bengals got hurt with injuries and many used injuries as excuses for the playoff loss.

Which might be how this year goes. A big 'WHAT IF' due to Dalton's injury
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:56 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: From reports I read, they did want Zimmer to take one more year to stay with the Bengals and see how the season goes. Ultimately, he went to the Vikings anyway.

The Bengals got hurt with injuries and many used injuries as excuses for the playoff loss.

Which might be how this year goes. A big 'WHAT IF' due to Dalton's injury

Interesting.  I did not know that.  
Reply/Quote