Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 needs to be the year of Gio
(07-20-2016, 05:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know it is extremely high praise cause he has not lived up to it yet but Gio seriously reminds me of a mix between...

Darren Sproles and Barry freaking Sanders...
[Image: 54166380.jpg]

GTFO Nate.....

Gio's ceiling is probably a slightly lesser Ray Rice (which is still a good ceiling)... but there's no way he ever sniffs Barry Sanders territory. That's right there with "Binns played Calvin Johnson on the scout team and was UNSTOPPABLE" and people who compared AJ McCarron to Tom Brady due to draft status/coming in for injury on overhypes of Bengals players by comparing them to all-time greats.

If given a bigger workload, he'll land as a better Sproles, but worse Rice. (Worse football player, not person, obviously. Ninja )

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 02:50 PM)Whacked Wrote: as long as that chance isn't foolishly squandered on running him up the gut which infuriates me.

Gio is very effective running between the tackles.

Gio is no waif. He runs strong.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 05:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Gio is very effective running between the tackles.

Gio is no waif.  He runs strong.

Truth, Fred. Not sure why people keep repeating this. Since Hill has come into the league, Gio has crushed in him YPC up the middle.

'14-'15 Middle YPC...

Gio: 4.28
Hill: 3.56

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 01:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'd take in no particular order...
-Elliott + either McFadden or Morris.
-Adrian Peterson + Anyone.  (Would love to see what he'd do with a good QB drawing respect rather than Ponder/Bridgewater/etc.)
-Doug Martin + Charles Sims

But yeah, Hill/Gio are probably 4th in my mind. Much worse if Hill has another season like last year, though.

(Steelers are D-Bags, so F Bell/Williams.)
You are on drugs good sir Elliot and McFadden? Tell me what he had before last season(McFadden)? Oh yeah averaged 53.3 yards per game.... Agree with ap he's a beast but can't really say he would be a 2 headed beast unless hes got a compliment running back ands charles sims?? 173 rushes for 713 yards? Average of 29.4 yards per game? Jeremy hill... Most tds of any rb in the league last 2 years and Giovanni Bernard the most explosive running back in the nfl nah I'm taking them 2 over anyone else's 2 rbs any day of the week
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 02:08 AM)Jpoore Wrote: You are on drugs good sir Elliot and McFadden? Tell me what he had before last season(McFadden)? Oh yeah averaged 53.3 yards per game.... Agree with ap he's a beast but can't really say he would be a 2 headed beast unless hes got a compliment running back ands charles sims?? 173 rushes for 713 yards? Average of 29.4 yards per game? Jeremy hill... Most tds of any rb in the league last 2 years and Giovanni Bernard the most explosive running back in the nfl nah I'm taking them 2 over anyone else's 2 rbs any day of the week

Jeremy Hill ran for 3.6 YPC last year and you want to talk about what McFadden did in the past... fact is McFadden ran for 1,089 yards at 4.6 YPC and now he's the #2 or even #3 RB on that team depending on if he beats Morris, who has three 1,000+ yard seasons to his name.

You also roped in Sim's 2014 numbers to dilute his 2015 ones... while ignoring the fact that Martin on his own rushed for only 122 yards less than Hill and Gio *combined*.

Bengals Duo 2015: 377 carries/1,524 yards/4.04 YPC/13 TD  ...  64 catches/551 yards/8.61 AVG/1 TD  ...  5 Fumbles
Bucs Duo 2015: 395 carries/1,931 yards/4.89 YPC/6 TD  ...  84 catches/832 yards/9.90 AVG/5 TD  ... 7 fumbles

- - - - - - - -
You call Gio the most explosive RB in the NFL, but what is that based on? I really really like Gio, don't get me wrong, but the guy only had 2 carries of 20+ yards last year. That's tied for 43rd among RB in 2015... with 13 other RB. Not to mention the 5 QB and 1 WR who had more rushes of 20+ yards than Gio.

Meanwhile Doug Martin had 14 rushes of 20+, Peterson had 10, and Todd Gurley had 11. Heck, Bell had 8 in 113 carries. I love Gio, but he's not the most explosive RB in the NFL.. by a long shot.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 02:27 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Jeremy Hill ran for 3.6 YPC last year and you want to talk about what McFadden did in the past... fact is McFadden ran for 1,089 yards at 4.6 YPC and now he's the #2 or even #3 RB on that team depending on if he beats Morris, who has three 1,000+ yard seasons to his name.

You also roped in Sim's 2014 numbers to dilute his 2015 ones... while ignoring the fact that Martin on his own rushed for only 122 yards less than Hill and Gio *combined*.

Bengals Duo 2015: 377 carries/1,524 yards/4.04 YPC/13 TD  ...  64 catches/551 yards/8.61 AVG/1 TD  ...  5 Fumbles
Bucs Duo 2015: 395 carries/1,931 yards/4.89 YPC/6 TD  ...  84 catches/832 yards/9.90 AVG/5 TD  ... 7 fumbles

- - - - - - - -
You call Gio the most explosive RB in the NFL, but what is that based on? I really really like Gio, don't get me wrong, but the guy only had 2 carries of 20+ yards last year. That's tied for 43rd among RB in 2015... with 13 other RB. Not to mention the 5 QB and 1 WR who had more rushes of 20+ yards than Gio.

Meanwhile Doug Martin had 14 rushes of 20+, Peterson had 10, and Todd Gurley had 11. Heck, Bell had 8 in 113 carries. I love Gio, but he's not the most explosive RB in the NFL.. by a long shot.
That is based on imo in the open field one on one everyone is hitting air bc he is already past them the fact that when he gets the ball out of the backfield he is the most explosive running back so let me take a step back I should have said he's the most explosive pass catching running back in the nfl but if hill gets back to his 2014 form can you argue the point?
Reply/Quote
Not sure if he is the most anything at the moment.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 05:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: 54166380.jpg]

GTFO Nate.....

Gio's ceiling is probably a slightly lesser Ray Rice (which is still a good ceiling)... but there's no way he ever sniffs Barry Sanders territory. That's right there with "Binns played Calvin Johnson on the scout team and was UNSTOPPABLE" and people who compared AJ McCarron to Tom Brady due to draft status/coming in for injury on overhypes of Bengals players by comparing them to all-time greats.

If given a bigger workload, he'll land as a better Sproles, but worse Rice. (Worse football player, not person, obviously. Ninja )

Knew i would get a rise out of someone. Cool

Just saying what Gio reminds me of. I know he won't ever sniff Sanders as a player but Sproles and Sanders is the
mixture Gio reminds me of. The size, burst, speed, moves and ability to take it to the house on any given play.

Disagree Gio's ceiling being a slightly lesser Ray Rice. I personally believe he has a higher ceiling than that and as a
rookie outplayed Ray Rice from what i saw. Better burst and speed than Rice and better hands.

Just doubt he gets the amount of snaps to have years like Rice did with Hill splitting snaps with him.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 01:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Knew i would get a rise out of someone. Cool

Just saying what Gio reminds me of. I know he won't ever sniff Sanders as a player but Sproles and Sanders is the
mixture Gio reminds me of. The size, burst, speed, moves and ability to take it to the house on any given play.

Disagree Gio's ceiling being a slightly lesser Ray Rice. I personally believe he has a higher ceiling than that and as a
rookie outplayed Ray Rice from what i saw. Better burst and speed than Rice and better hands.

Just doubt he gets the amount of snaps to have years like Rice did with Hill splitting snaps with him.

Eh, I based my slightly lesser Ray Rice on the fact that in his second year, Rice was still sharing snaps with Willis McGahee, but then he forced the issue out of the team's hands by putting up over 2,000 total yards (1,339 rushing at 5.3 YPC, 702 receiving at 9.0 AVG). That's why Rice got 300+ carries his third year, he forced it with over 2,000 yards. Lol

Not sure Gio has a 2,000 total yard type season in him.

(Think how terrible of a person he is has overshadowed how great he was as a player there for 3-4 years.)

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 06:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eh, I based my slightly lesser Ray Rice on the fact that in his second year, Rice was still sharing snaps with Willis McGahee, but then he forced the issue out of the team's hands by putting up over 2,000 total yards (1,339 rushing at 5.3 YPC, 702 receiving at 9.0 AVG). That's why Rice got 300+ carries his third year, he forced it with over 2,000 yards. Lol

Not sure Gio has a 2,000 total yard type season in him.

(Think how terrible of a person he is has overshadowed how great he was as a player there for 3-4 years.)

Very great points.

In the end i love Gio's explosiveness more than Ray Rice's but that is still just an opinion as always.
Reply/Quote
I didn't read the whole thread. I fear he may come out a little scared. Last time he was on the field he was TKO! Might make him a little skittish. We will see. I'm a big fan of Gio.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm all for Hill starting and Gio coming off the bench. Hill demonstrated in his rookie year that he can wear down defenses and get the tough yards. He's also a proven TD runner. Gio is the prefect complement to him.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 11:05 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm all for Hill starting and Gio coming off the bench. Hill demonstrated in his rookie year that he can wear down defenses and get the tough yards. He's also a proven TD runner. Gio is the prefect complement to him.

That sounds like the NFL equivalent of the baseball fallacy of "RBI Guys". Unless the RB is busting out huge TD runs regularly, a TD is often a product of the entire offense and a ton of TDs are just the result of a ton of opportunities.

9 of Hill's 11 TDs came from goal line territory. Give Gio (or most any decent RB) goal-to-go situations and let him line up behind Peko, Whit, and Boling, and he can get it done too.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 12:07 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That sounds like the NFL equivalent  of the baseball fallacy of "RBI Guys". Unless the RB is busting out huge TD runs regularly, a TD is often a product of the entire offense and a ton of TDs are just the result of a ton of opportunities.

9 of Hill's 11 TDs came from goal line territory. Give Gio (or most any decent RB) goal-to-go situations and let him line up behind Peko, Whit, and Boling, and he can get it done too.

Yeah, well, if a guy leads the league in RBIs you play him. It's really that simple. Hill will be the starter. In his rookie year he played pretty good and there's no reason he can't do that again. I expect to see him doing it. If he doesn't, then that's another matter.

Reply/Quote
A great comparison for Gio is the best screen back in history (imo), Brian Westbrook!

I'm a huge fan of both players.
Reply/Quote