Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017-18 Season, 2 keys, and 1 step up in each phase of the game
(06-12-2017, 06:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I actually thought Bodine played better in short yardage last year.  I was surprised to see that there seemed to be a lot of problems at both Guard spots.  It makes sense with Boling's injury, but Zeitler wasn't moving people at all.  I am excited to see what we get out of Redmond/Westerman/Smith.  

If Bodine doesn't take the next step early on, we may see TJ Johnson at Center.  

Isn't this a contract year, for Bodine?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Isn't this a contract year, for Bodine?

Yes, sir!
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 09:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, sir!

Well then, get ready for plenty of talk from the staff about how Bodine has really taken command of the OL, and how he's really "turned the corner" in his ongoing development process.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 11:16 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well then, get ready for plenty of talk from the staff about how Bodine has really taken command of the OL, and how he's really "turned the corner" in his ongoing development process.

But you know what happens if he signs somewhere else ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 06:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I actually thought Bodine played better in short yardage last year.  I was surprised to see that there seemed to be a lot of problems at both Guard spots.  It makes sense with Boling's injury, but Zeitler wasn't moving people at all.  I am excited to see what we get out of Redmond/Westerman/Smith.  

I never really understood this, Bodine getting blamed as much as he does. Sure the guy isn't pro-bowl material, however he isn't as bad as most fans think. I wasn't as big of a Zeitler fan as most here. Boling wasn't playing very well either, understanding he was injured.  There have been plenty of times both our guards were beaten badly. You can throw PFF rankings and rating out the window, it's BS anyways.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 11:24 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: But you know what happens if he signs somewhere else ......

Oh yeah, he'll emerge as a beast, but at least we'll get a late round comp pick out of the deal.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Imagine if Ogbuehi and Fisher actually impress at OT this year and two of Bodine, Johnson, Redmond, and Westerman actually improve enough to be quality starters by year's end too.
That would be a dream.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 12:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Imagine if Ogbuehi and Fisher actually impress at OT this year and two of Bodine, Johnson, Redmond, and Westerman actually improve enough to be quality starters by year's end too.
That would be a dream.

I hope they perform at least at NFL average this year and the improvement and talent is noticeable. That would really open up next years draft

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 11:16 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well then, get ready for plenty of talk from the staff about how Bodine has really taken command of the OL, and how he's really "turned the corner" in his ongoing development process.

I'm not so sure they even believed he was as bad as others think he is. Remember the "witch hunt" bit PA threw out? IMO they believe he's a quality starter, and with that, I fully expect him to be extended. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 11:50 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I never really understood this, Bodine getting blamed as much as he does. Sure the guy isn't pro-bowl material, however he isn't as bad as most fans think. I wasn't as big of a Zeitler fan as most here. Boling wasn't playing very well either, understanding he was injured.  There have been plenty of times both our guards were beaten badly. You can throw PFF rankings and rating out the window, it's BS anyways.

Where would you rank Bodine as a starting center in the NFL?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 12:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Imagine if Ogbuehi and Fisher actually impress at OT this year and two of Bodine, Johnson, Redmond, and Westerman actually improve enough to be quality starters by year's end too.
That would be a dream.

I hope they perform at least at NFL average this year and the improvement and talent is noticeable. That would really open up next years draft

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 09:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Offense:  I believe two keys for the offense this season are Tyler Eifert and Joe Mixon.  If those two can stay healthy and produce, we are immediately better in the red zone, on third down, and less one-dimensional.  The player that needs to step up (and likely to be everybody's choice) is Ced Ogbuehi.  The Bengals have shown complete faith in his ability to man the LT position this year.  

Defense:  I believe the two keys for the defense lie with new player additions Tyler Willis and second-year player Andrew Billings.  If Willis can produce the pass rush I believe he is capable off the edge, the defense will not only be better at getting off the field on third down, but could yield more big plays (sacks, turnovers).  Billings I see as more than a space-eater, but a blocker-eater.  A self-professed "double-team eater", Billings could help the rest of the line have more pass rush opportunities and also help keep the new, speedy LBs clean.  Billings can also help create push in the QBs lap, dropping him further in to pass rush lanes.  The player that needs to step up is Burfict.  He already appears to be in great shape, but if we get "Good Burfict", with no behavioral stupidity, for 16 seasons, the impact of him at his top level is greater than any player on the team.  

Special teams:  Easy:  Elliot in the kicking game, assuming he wins the job, is a huge key for this team.  The other spot I will go for is Erickson. If he can produce as he did last year, and the team keeps 7 WRs, we will be a very good special teams unit.  The player that needs to step up is Kevin Huber.  It seemed as though he had an off year, and he we need him booming 50 yard punts with hang time again.

That's my list...what is yours?

On Offense it is definately Ogbuehi, if he steps up and plays well this Offense could be deadly with the additions of Mixon
and Ross. Eifert needs to stay healthy somewhat, i have kind of given up on the thought of him playing all 16 games but if
he can be healthy late in the year and we are in a good spot in the standings this team has a definate shot.

So, two keys, Og and Mixon.

On Defense Billings and Minter were huge additions. I think these are the exact type of players we needed on this Defense
and letting Peko and Maualuga go were great moves. Been calling for replacing Peko for years, space eaters are not hard to
find contrary to what some say. Billings can stop the run great and rush the passer, he is so strong that if teams don't double
team him he will make them pay. This guy will free up Atkins, Dunlap, Willis, Lawson, Clarke and MJ.

1 step up, BILLINGS! Cool

On Special Teams i think Brandon Wilson, Jordan Evans and Jake Elliott were great grabs, we are so much faster and Darrin
Simmons was looking for the next Justin Tucker, he thinks he found him. We could of won 3 more games last year if our
Kickers didn't choke.
Reply/Quote

Did you see the most recent post about Dielman?  He was saying that Center is his favorite position, and doesn't know how good he can be with just one season at the position.  Doesn't sound like he is shying away from any competition....and competition always improves the breed.  
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 11:50 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I never really understood this, Bodine getting blamed as much as he does. Sure the guy isn't pro-bowl material, however he isn't as bad as most fans think. I wasn't as big of a Zeitler fan as most here. Boling wasn't playing very well either, understanding he was injured.  There have been plenty of times both our guards were beaten badly. You can throw PFF rankings and rating out the window, it's BS anyways.

Though I don't completely buy in to the BS evaluation of PFF, I agree that it was the entire interior of the line.  Couldn't get any push in short yardage.  I know not having Hewitt only placed greater emphasis on the inability of the line of get a push in short yardage.  Hewitt, fully healthy this year, should have a positive impact on the running game.  I would also like to see him get a few more targets as an H-back in the passing game.  Keeps defenses guessing and they are not 100% certain of rushing plays when Hewitt is on the field.
Reply/Quote
That would be a dream.

Well, no one could say the Bengals didn't do everything they could (short of replacing them) to help.

More weapons on offense and a vertical threat like Ross to keep safeties back of the LOS.  A powerful running back that can also catch and help in blitz pick up.  A healthy FB/HB in Hewitt back 100%.  They have stood behind them as the RT and LT of the future heading in to mini-camps.  No one is pushing them out of the job.  It is sink or swim at this point.  I really believe that a full offseason of good health, and the aforementioned additions, that they will swim and swim well.  
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 12:39 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Where would you rank Bodine as a starting center in the NFL?

I would definitely put him him in the lower tier. I guess I didn't articulate might thought that well. There were loads of plays where Boling and Zietler shit the bed and people laid all the blame on Bodine because the pressure came up the middle.. There was a picture of the Giants game on here recently, Zietler was sitting on his butt after getting bull rushed and Andy was under 4 bodies. People thought Zietler walked on water around here for reason, I never saw it....
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Did you see the most recent post about Dielman?  He was saying that Center is his favorite position, and doesn't know how good he can be with just one season at the position.  Doesn't sound like he is shying away from any competition....and competition always improves the breed.  

Man, wouldn't that be sweet if this guy stepped up and played well for us at Center?

He played well wherever he was asked to play on the line at Utah and he has great bloodlines.

Sounds smart and he is athletic and tough, yah never know.
Reply/Quote
I think we're going to see WJIII go through some growing pains which is to be expected and of course the fans who will declare him a bust the first time he blows an assignment.  I really hope I'm wrong, but I expect that he'll have to learn a few things as a CB the hard way. 
What I don't really expect is that his growing pains will cost us a lot of games..
Corner backs typically don't become big stars right off the bat the way running backs can and often do. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 02:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: I think we're going to see WJIII go through some growing pains which is to be expected and of course the fans who will declare him a bust the first time he blows an assignment.  I really hope I'm wrong, but I expect that he'll have to learn a few things as a CB the hard way. 
What I don't really expect is that his growing pains will cost us a lot of games..
Corner backs typically don't become big stars right off the bat the way running backs can and often do. 

The fact that Adam Jones could be suspended might be a blessing in disguise.  (Frankly, I wanted him released after I heard the audio of him with that police officer, but that has had its share of discussion).  If WJIII gets to start outside for the first 3-4 games, he might have some growing pains, but will be better prepared for the end of the season. 

I was ecstatic when we drafted him, and I can't wait to see him on the field.  

28 PBUs in a single season is downright ridiculous.  Teams weren't even going at his side of the field, and he STILL put up those kind of numbers.  
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Did you see the most recent post about Dielman?  He was saying that Center is his favorite position, and doesn't know how good he can be with just one season at the position.  Doesn't sound like he is shying away from any competition....and competition always improves the breed.  

I've thought that Dielman was an interesting selection.  Though I admit that I haven't really watched him play, from what I've read, he was doing very well at Center the five games before the injury.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote