Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Cap Space
Edit: My mistake I used 2016 cap numbers, we have over 19 million in cap space right now with Mixon(2nd round) and our 3rd round pick Willis unsigned

I know many don't like to discuss cap space, but it can be a burden to adding or keeping our own guys. Here is a link to an update and you will find the Bengals do spend and have spent.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/2016/

IN fact, we are down to 6.3 million left with guys like AJ M. only making $650K making him by far least expensive solid back up QB in the NFL contract ending in 2018 or 2019, Eifert coming up, Hill (may be cut) and others it shows the complexity of keeping a solid roster, yet doing it financially responsible.

Discuss
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
My discussion... why did you put 2016 cap numbers in a thread titled "2017 Cap Space"?

League List:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Bengals:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/
~$19.4m in cap space, 11th most in the NFL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Ah, it's the always enlightening fun with the cap game. This is where ebenezer will stash vast sums of money for contingencies that never materialize and pocket those gains. I've seen this game played yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Looks like the only player worth talking extension with is Burfict.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2017, 07:19 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Ah, it's the always enlightening fun with the cap game. This is where ebenezer will stash vast sums of money for contingencies that never materialize and pocket those gains.  I've seen this game played yearly.

Yup !

We have to keep 6 million or something in the in case of injury break glass case. But we never spend any of said money on any players because of injuries. Or at least never come close to that amount.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2017, 07:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: My discussion... why did you put 2016 cap numbers in a thread titled "2017 Cap Space"?

League List:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Bengals:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/
~$19.4m in cap space, 11th most in the NFL.

My mistake, my apologies.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I would extend AJ Green and Burfict now and try to get them on cap friendly salaries.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2017, 07:19 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Ah, it's the always enlightening fun with the cap game. This is where ebenezer will stash vast sums of money for contingencies that never materialize and pocket those gains.  I've seen this game played yearly.

I thought they had to spend the money or role it over towards next year's cap? I don't believe MB financially gains anything from the player's salary cap....
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 11:50 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I thought they had to spend the money or role it over towards next year's cap? I don't believe MB financially gains anything from the player's salary cap....

The floor is a multi year rolling average that requires a certain percentage of the cap be spent. We have never had a problem doing that.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 11:50 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I thought they had to spend the money or role it over towards next year's cap? I don't believe MB financially gains anything from the player's salary cap....

They have to spend up to a certain percentage, 89% I think, and the roll over is just optional. So, MB can benefit financially if he's not paying out that 11%.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 01:35 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I would extend AJ Green and Burfict now and try to get them on cap friendly salaries.

AJ has three years left on his contract, no one is giving an extension with 3 years left. Burfict will need to be resigned after this season and is probably the priority along with Eiffert at this point. I'd extend Eiffort very similarly to what the Pats did for Gronk this year. If you play 90% of the games you are one of the highest paid TE in the league, then you walk it back from there as far as incentives go.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 12:12 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: They have to spend up to a certain percentage, 89% I think, and the roll over is just optional. So, MB can benefit financially if he's not paying out that 11%.

True, but we have spent well above the floor when accounting at the end of each league year minus the one year we held out to roll over for AJ and Andy.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2017, 06:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Edit: My mistake I used 2016 cap numbers, we have over 19 million in cap space right now with Mixon(2nd round) and our 3rd round pick Willis unsigned

I know many don't like to discuss cap space, but it can be a burden to adding or keeping our own guys. Here is a link to an update and you will find the Bengals do spend and have spent.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/2016/

IN fact, we are down to 6.3 million left with guys like AJ M. only making $650K making him by far least expensive solid back up QB in the NFL contract ending in 2018 or 2019, Eifert coming up, Hill (may be cut) and others it shows the complexity of keeping a solid roster, yet doing it financially responsible.

Discuss

Mixon and Willis won't take much of that cap space. Still should have at least $15 million remaining.
While everyone is saying Burfict is really the only player worth extending right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals extend some player(s) early that we don't think they necessarily should. Specifically, we could see Bodine given an extension.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So there's no looming extensions (other than Burfict) and they're keeping $19 million in space?

Personally, I'm not shocked, but I do know plenty of people have defended Mike for keeping $10-15+ million back for "extensions" even when the extensions don't happen (Whit/Zeitler/MLJ/Sanu/Joseph etc), or when there's no one to extend such as now.

At this point I don't even want to argue about it. It is what it is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 12:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So there's no looming extensions (other than Burfict) and they're keeping $19 million in space?

Personally, I'm not shocked, but I do know plenty of people have defended Mike for keeping $10-15+ million back for "extensions" even when the extensions don't happen (Whit/Zeitler/MLJ/Sanu/Joseph etc), or when there's no one to extend such as now.

Eiffert...
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 12:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: Eiffert...

Eifert needs to demonstrate that he can stay healthy, before anything else..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 12:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: Eiffert...

Won't sign him......UNLESS....he takes a hometown discount.  "We don't value the TE position that much, even though I have told you I am saving money specifically to extend a position we don't value that much". Ninja

LMAO LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 12:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mixon and Willis won't take much of that cap space. Still should have at least $15 million remaining.
While everyone is saying Burfict is really the only player worth extending right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals extend some player(s) early that we don't think they necessarily should. Specifically, we could see Bodine given an extension.

I agree, we will try and extend some guys like we always do prior to the season starting. A guy like Burfict is going to demand big bucks and depending how they structure the real could eat up 10 12 million all by himself in 2017 cap.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 12:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So there's no looming extensions (other than Burfict) and they're keeping $19 million in space?

In the end, they spent all but 6.5 million in 2016 so not sure they are not spending enough. In fact, they are well ahead of teh cap spend requirements last time I checked while many other teams are not.

Also, Burfict could eat up a lot of cap room in 2017 if Bengals structured the deal more upfront than future. I think this team gets an A+ for cap management since 2011.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 12:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eifert needs to demonstrate that he can stay healthy, before anything else..

No, you structure a deal that if he stays healthy reflects his ability and if not you pay him as a slightly above average starting TE.  This allows him to be paid if he is healthy and if not he make decent money for the games he plays. The recent Gronk extension is the blue print for Eiffert.
Reply/Quote