Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Free Agents
(11-28-2016, 07:48 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 1.  Who do you say should get signed, other than Nugent.   Sarcasm
2.  Who do you think Brown will sign, other than Nugent.

1.  Not sure if Whit intends to stay or has another year left.  I would say Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, and Burkhead, maybe Thompson.
2.  I say he signs everyone except Nugent, Winston, Brown, Boykin?, and LaFell.

2017 Free Agents
Andrew Whitworth LT 34
Domata Peko DT 32
Brandon LaFell WR 30
Dre Kirkpatrick CB 27
Kevin Zeitler G 26
Mike Nugent K 34
Eric Winston RT 33
Cedric Peerman RB 30
Margus Hunt DE 29
Wallace Gilberry DE 31
Brandon Thompson DT 27
Chykie Brown CB 29
Brandon Boykin CB 26
Rex Burkhead RB 26

We will have an estimated $36 mil in cap room next year, which sounds like a lot, but we have a lot of holes to fill.

I think we need to reup Whit.  Hoping that both Og and Fisher are ready to start next year is likely wishful thinking.  

I would like to keep Dre, but he will likely command top dollar on the open market.  There are positions that we are going to have to gamble on young talent stepping up, and I would be willing to gamble there.  If we reup Dre, we will probably have to cut Jones to free up money at other spots.

Zeitler is an enigma.  He's a world beater one year and sucks the next.  I would be ok with letting him walk, or resigning him on the cheap after the market cools down.  He is a guy that I think could be replaced with a tier 2 FA or early draft pick, especially as bad as he's been this year.

Other than that, I would reup Burkhead for depth.  The rest can walk.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow. Looking over that list, it's becoming painfully obvious this team needs a pretty massive overhaul. I'd let most of those guys walk. Maybe keep Dre and Zeit if the price is right. I'm guessing Whit retires, if not, he may go elsewhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We need Kirk back because A. Jones is actively falling off the bandwagon. However, even the most average of CBs fetch a lot of money on the free market and I'm not sure we will pay him to come back.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 01:52 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wow. Looking over that list, it's becoming painfully obvious this team needs a pretty massive overhaul. I'd let most of those guys walk. Maybe keep Dre and Zeit if the price is right. I'm guessing Whit retires, if not, he may go elsewhere.

Ah yes.....sweet reminiscing.....remember on the old board when some of us would raise hell every year during FA that we needed to sign a top notch FA or two to get us over the hump before the window closed on this group?  Welp, looks like the sumbitch slammed shut, and will be nailed shut next season.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 10:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Ah yes.....sweet reminiscing.....remember on the old board when some of us would raise hell every year during FA that we needed to sign a top notch FA or two to get us over the hump before the window closed on this group?  Welp, looks like the sumbitch slammed shut, and will be nailed shut next season.

I think it could be more than just next season.  I look at this team and there are a lot of holes to fill, plus others in the next couple seasons.  As you say, we all know they are not going to be active in free agency, which leaves the draft.  I personally think it is going to take multiple drafts, and that is assuming they hit on all the top picks (something they have not done recently).

Sucks, but I think this team could be in a down cycle.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 11:14 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think it could be more than just next season.  I look at this team and there are a lot of holes to fill, plus others in the next couple seasons.  As you say, we all know they are not going to be active in free agency, which leaves the draft.  I personally think it is going to take multiple drafts, and that is assuming they hit on all the top picks (something they have not done recently).

Gotta agree bro.....

Reply/Quote
Another question. Do we tag anyone? Dre maybe until we break in another first round corner and WJIII?

I agree with whoever said even average cb's can break the bank.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 11:21 AM)Wyche Wrote: Gotta agree bro.....

I hope we are all wrong, but I have to agree that until Brown either passes the baton or cleans house, hires the GM, and let them run the show, there's very little hope for a Lombardi.  

The real problem is, I don't see either of the above happening soon.
Reply/Quote
2017 Free Agents
Andrew Whitworth LT 34 YES
Domata Peko DT 32 NO
Brandon LaFell WR 30 NO
Dre Kirkpatrick CB 27 YES
Kevin Zeitler G 26 YES
Mike Nugent K 34 Hell Naw
Eric Winston RT 33 YES
Cedric Peerman RB 30 NAH
Margus Hunt DE 29 YES
Wallace Gilberry DE 31 NO
Brandon Thompson DT 27 YES
Chykie Brown CB 29 NO
Brandon Boykin CB 26 YES
Rex Burkhead RB 26 YES
Reply/Quote
We don't know what the future is going to be with drafted players. We will pick pretty high up, but there's no guarantee any of them will be worth the bother or the other way around, he could hit paydirt. If there's a massive turnover in coaching beginning with the top we don't know who might replace him and we don't get to choose. It's all speculation at this point. A new hc may decide to completely start from scratch relatively speaking and clean house or quite the opposite and try retain everyone we all despise. If Marvin is replaced and Nugent is still around we might as well just turn all of the football clocks back to 1990 and rewind.. We can all vote, but that and $2.75 will get you a really crappy cup of Denny's coffee.
If it goes the way that sinking feeling in my gut says I'm fully prepared to completely ignore the entire league for a full year . We'll see .. Either way it won't affect my sleep patterns at night . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Who the hell is Brandon Boykin?

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 01:25 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I hope we are all wrong, but I have to agree that until Brown either passes the baton or cleans house, hires the GM, and let them run the show, there's very little hope for a Lombardi.  

The real problem is, I don't see either of the above happening soon.

I'm with ya on that.

Reply/Quote
Whitworth is 9 mil, Peko is 4.5 mil and LaFell is 2.5 mil which adds up to 16 mil saved by letting these 3 walk......I would franchise tag Kirkpatrick ASAP so we don't lose him. He will get paid high in the tag for a year but we just cut 16 mil from payroll. Zeitler gets 1.8 mil and I think we can get him resigned. He would be cheaper than Kirkpatrick to resign. Franchise tag Kirkpatrick, resign Zeitler...Let all the others walk.......Now some on this list may resign cheap. Cheap is a word Mike Brown loves. .....Burkhead should be a cheap resign. Young players under 30 making under a mil are DE- Margus Hunt, DT- Brandon Thompson, CB- Chykie Brown, CB- Brandon Boykin, RB- Rex Burkhead and K - Zach Hocker ....Combined they make less than 4 mil right now. I'm not sure the NFL teams are going to come running for these players. I do not think any of them are ALL MADDEN or GRUDEN GRINDERS and make or break a team.

So, save the 16 mil off the bat.....Franchise Tag Kirkpatrick and resign Zeitler....Other than keeping these 2, I don't care about the rest. The team will win 3 or 4 games tops in 2016. It is time for changes and firings and shake-ups anyway going into 2017. We have a decent defense going into 2017 if we keep Kirkpatrick....The 2017 offense needs to be a lot better than the 2016 offense, but Zeitler is our best O Lineman and need kept. I think we keep these 2 and still have money left over from the 20 mil saved by dumping the others. We can be players in Free Agency with the extra cash and not forced to make it all the NFL draft.

Not listed here is the declining skills of Pacman Jones. Is he on a long term contract ? I would be dumping his payroll any possible way. I would like to upgrade at LB and make some LBs now possible payroll cuts. I'm not sure this Hill and Bernard thing is working. The Offense needs reworked, especially O Line. In the end there could be more payroll moves of dumping players for new players, which I more than welcome after this lousy season.

Areas Bengals are getting ripped off by agents.....Pacman Jones- 7.3 mil....Ryan Hewitt at 2.5 mil seems money that could be used better.....Not sure Vincent Rey is worth 3.5 mil......Is Gio Bernard giving us 5 mil worth .....Is Boling worth 5.2 mil........Is MJ at DE worth 5 mil......Is Maualuge worth 5 mil.....Is Clark Harris worth a mil.....Is Dansby worth 2 mil.....Why are they paying Peerman a million bucks....Combined they are 37.5 mil of payroll that many winning teams would not tolerate......I think some steals are McCarron at .6, Bodine at .6, Wright at .5 and Hill at .9.........For saying Mike Brown is cheap, I look at this and think Mike Brown is stupid. 2.5 mil for a FB that we hardly use. Really. A million for Ced Peerman who is almost never in uniform. I think Mike Brown more stupid than cheap. 3.5 mil for Hewitt and Peerman. I don't see that at all.....This is why we need a GM but sadly will never have one.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 10:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Ah yes.....sweet reminiscing.....remember on the old board when some of us would raise hell every year during FA that we needed to sign a top notch FA or two to get us over the hump before the window closed on this group?  Welp, looks like the sumbitch slammed shut, and will be nailed shut next season.

So frustrating, but yeah I seem to recall a few people saying we needed to go all-in to help this talented core get over the hump. Suddenly, all these young talented players are old and not so talented anymore. Such a shame. The Bengals kept building towards a glorious future that never arrived because Mikey refused to push all his chips in.

(11-30-2016, 11:14 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think it could be more than just next season.  I look at this team and there are a lot of holes to fill, plus others in the next couple seasons.  As you say, we all know they are not going to be active in free agency, which leaves the draft.  I personally think it is going to take multiple drafts, and that is assuming they hit on all the top picks (something they have not done recently).

You know it's sad but truuue!

By the time we built again that way, Dalton and Green would be ready for retirement. Atkins and Dunlap are only a couple seasons away. It is so sad that this talented group will only be known for unprecedented playoff failure thanks to Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis. They should be ashamed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Think Zeitler has only ever been above average, and not even that this year.

Also... the Bengals completely stopped negotiating an extension after DeCastro got his $10m/yr deal, so Zeitler is going to go chase the money in FA.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Re-sign Peerman, Thompson, Kirk and tag Whit.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 07:34 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Re-sign Peerman, Thompson, Kirk and tag Whit.

Really, resign Peerman who already gets a million a year....What a waste of money on him and Hewitt combined for 3.5 mil......This is why Bengals never win a play-off game. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 07:59 PM)kevin Wrote: Really, resign Peerman who already gets a million a year....What a waste of money on him and Hewitt combined for 3.5 mil......This is why Bengals never win a play-off game. 

Yeah that's how I recall the WC game last year too. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 01:52 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wow. Looking over that list, it's becoming painfully obvious this team needs a pretty massive overhaul. I'd let most of those guys walk. Maybe keep Dre and Zeit if the price is right. I'm guessing Whit retires, if not, he may go elsewhere.

IMO letting them walk is not an option. They will probably run to the exits - except those players who likely would never play in the NFL except in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
This is tough because as bad as we have looked we have really only been destroyed by 2 teams. Both being top SB contenders. We aren't that far from having a .500/above record and in the thick for another first round PO exit

Keep the youth, build the lines, GET NEW COACH, profit.

Reply/Quote