Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Reds Season Day by Day Fan Feedback
(06-06-2017, 10:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Scooter my daisy heads!

First Red to ever hit 4 home runs in a single game. 

Nine RBI's ain't too bad either.

First player in MLB history with 4 homers, 10 rbi's and 5 hits in a single game. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Just think..a few days ago Brandon Phillips complained about him getting his old number calling it 'a slap in the face.' 
I'll be waiting for the protest pickets over that tomorrow.. lol 
Good thing Genette stayed up all night worrying about having the number 4 on his jersey. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Gennett was so good last night we completely brushed over Adleman's amazing start!

7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 R, 2 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR

In his last 3 starts, his stat line is:

21 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 4 R, 6 BB, 16 SO, 2 HR for an ERA of 1.71 and a WHIP of 0.76 and a BAA of .149

That is exactly what we need and that's ace level pitching.

We are hoping to get Finnegan, Bailey and Disco back within a month or two (or so I've heard) and Adleman seems to have found himself a great home in the rotation.

He'll never be mistaken for Clayton Kershaw but a 4.00 ERA pitcher who can pitch past the 6th inning is an extraordinarily valuable player in today's MLB. And if that is what he truly is, we got ourselves a keeper!

And all this after a performance on Monday from Wojciechowski of 6 IP 8 H 2 ER 2 R 2 BB 6 SO 0 HR ball.

Man, if we can keep this pitching staff on task, we could end up having a playoff year.

We are, after all, only 3 games out of the division lead!

We wouldn't beat whoever we were matched up against most likely but, who knows, once we get some starting pitchers back, we could go on a serious tear.
Reply/Quote
What's sad is if this team had a true top tier ace on the pitching staff and perhaps another decent #3 or 4 we'd be running away with the division.
Reply/Quote
Reds on fire! 4 game sweep of the Cards.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
SWEEP !!!!!.......After a bad series loss to Braves, at least they came back with SWEEP of Cardinals......A lot of good things happened in this series. Fans will like the batting. I may point out Feldman now 5 wins on the season and he cut his era down to 4.09....So if he can get to 6 wins and get era down to 3 runs a game number, that is ace of a teams staff numbers.

The BAD NEWS : Reds leave for West Coast. Weekend at L.A. Dodgers who are very much a World Series possible team. Then to San Diego.

I'm hoping Garrett gets back in the groove he was in before Reds decided to shut him down for two weeks when he was healthy. When he came back he he was quickly on DL. So of course his last game he was rusty. I'm hoping he gets back on pace and Reds haven't messed the kid up too much. He is a good young pitcher that the Reds need if they intend to win 81 games or more this season. .....Feldman getting win 6 and lowering era to 3 runs something would be huge Tuesday in San Diego. Look for Feldman to be Top Fantasy League pick up before his next game. 5 wins and 4.09 era, many will want him on team next Tuesday.

1-1 in June and 8-9-2 in series play on the season....1 game under .500 as they head to the dreaded West Coast where Reds have struggled for decades. We catch a break with pitcher Wood injured and hopefully we miss Kershaw. It would be nice if we don't face him. I like our chances more against Padres. If we can leave West Coast still around .500, I'll be happy.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 12:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What's sad is if this team had a true top tier ace on the pitching staff and perhaps another decent #3 or 4 we'd be running away with the division.

I agree with this completely. Had some real bad luck. 
Reply/Quote
Wow..what a shame those Cards fans have to learn what it's like to root for a team going nowhere for once..  What? They're not going to win forever and ever and ever?  Must really suck to not be in first place all season long.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Reds looking good!! Go Reds!!! Hopefully road trip and playing late at night won't throw them off this streak! Go Reds!
Reply/Quote
Bad News for Reds....Good News for my Fantasy Teams.....Wood is off DL to pitch for Dodgers against Reds today.....The Reds can only hope he is rusty or struggles his first game back.

Bad News to hear Garrett hit on hand and had to leave early in game. Good news it isn't broken. This does not help him getting his innings in and getting back in good grove he was in before Reds decided to shut him down 2 weeks to try to get an extra year of non free agency in years to come. Garrett may pitch Wednesday depending on the hand. If he pitches I hope fans aren't all over him if he struggles. The kid was shut down 2 weeks, then on DL, and now hand almost broken by hit ball and it's only been about 2 months. This kid shows more promise than all the other young Reds pitchers, and it would be good to see him get his innings in and get back on his game as he was in April. ...If his hand hurts Wednesday, Don't Pitch Him. ...We need this kid back healthy and getting his innings in. No more trips to minors to try to get an extra year of non free agency. I can see sending a player to minors if he just isn't ready for majors, but not all this contract option BS. Teams should field their best possible team.

ADD ON : OUCH....REDS SWEPT IN LA......REDS 1-2 in June and 8-10-2 on Season in Series Play.....Hopefully better luck in San Diego. The Padres are NOT the Dodgers. Padres can be beat.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
What a horrible West Coast Trip....OK, I could see LA Dodgers beating Reds, but NOT the Padres...Reds go 1-3 in June and 8-11-2 on Season in Series play and suddenly the Good Ship Reds is Sinking. ..Arroyo the other night showed why no other teams were interested in him this off season. Good chance he is washed up, because he gets sent to the showers early enough by other teams hitters.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 06:27 AM)kevin Wrote: What a horrible West Coast Trip....OK, I could see LA Dodgers beating Reds, but NOT the Padres...Reds go 1-3  in June and 8-11-2 on Season in Series play and suddenly the Good Ship Reds is Sinking.  ..Arroyo the other night showed why no other teams were interested in him this off season.  Good chance he is washed up, because he gets sent to the showers early enough by other teams hitters.

Injuries to three of the expected starting rotation for a good amount of games has really hurt this season, which sucks because the Reds have a good young offense.
I would imagine the starting rotation once Desclafani is back (assuming no more big injuries to pitching rotation by that point) will be Desclafani, Bailey, Finnegan, Adleman, Feldman/youngster. It's a shame that practically no young pitcher out of Reed, Stephenson, Garrett, Davis, Romano, etc has really established themselves as a quality pitcher yet.
The Reds need to capitalize on these cheap hitter contracts within the next few years and try to get 1-2 good pitchers via trade or better development.
Maybe the Reds could get a good pitcher for one of Winker, Duvall, Schebler, or Hamilton.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 10:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Injuries to three of the expected starting rotation for a good amount of games has really hurt this season, which sucks because the Reds have a good young offense.
I would imagine the starting rotation once Desclafani is back (assuming no more big injuries to pitching rotation by that point) will be Desclafani, Bailey, Finnegan, Adleman, Feldman/youngster. It's a shame that practically no young pitcher out of Reed, Stephenson, Garrett, Davis, Romano, etc has really established themselves as a quality pitcher yet.
The Reds need to capitalize on these cheap hitter contracts within the next few years and try to get 1-2 good pitchers via trade or better development.
Maybe the Reds could get a good pitcher for one of Winker, Duvall, Schebler, or Hamilton.

If the Reds can reach the all star break within 2.5 games of the NL Central lead (sitting at 4 games out, with every single team in the division within striking distance), I think there's an argument to be made about being buyers at the deadline.

I would prefer we sell because, let's be honest, this team is a fluke largely hoisted upon the shoulders of Cozart's statistically inexplicable numbers right now (as in, his exit velocity, BABIP and Line Drive rates make his batting average and slugging numbers a statistical anomaly across the league).

If we sell him high for a quality pitcher or future prospect with high upside, that would be an incredible win for this team.

But, if we can take advantage of our start to the season and maybe sneak into the playoffs due to a down year in the division, I would say that is worth a Winker or an Alfredo Rodriguez (Who I'm not all that fond of anyway) if we get a quality starter in return.

At the same time, we are on the brink of getting Finnegan, Bailey and, later in the year, Disco and that should greatly improve our starting pitching, so a trade may not even be necessary in order to keep pace in the division.

I do still want to sell high on Cozart regardless though. He is bound to come back down to earth any day now and I want the Reds to cash in on his hype while it's still there. Imagine what we could have gotten if we had sold Frazier high a few years ago. Or if we had held onto Chapman and dealt him when the Yankees did last year. 

Selling high is not something that the Reds have been good at in the past few years. I really hope we buck that trend with Cozart and scoot his ass out of town while the value is there.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 10:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If the Reds can reach the all star break within 2.5 games of the NL Central lead (sitting at 4 games out, with every single team in the division within striking distance), I think there's an argument to be made about being buyers at the deadline.

I would prefer we sell because, let's be honest, this team is a fluke largely hoisted upon the shoulders of Cozart's statistically inexplicable numbers right now (as in, his exit velocity, BABIP and Line Drive rates make his batting average and slugging numbers a statistical anomaly across the league).

If we sell him high for a quality pitcher or future prospect with high upside, that would be an incredible win for this team.

But, if we can take advantage of our start to the season and maybe sneak into the playoffs due to a down year in the division, I would say that is worth a Winker or an Alfredo Rodriguez (Who I'm not all that fond of anyway) if we get a quality starter in return.

At the same time, we are on the brink of getting Finnegan, Bailey and, later in the year, Disco and that should greatly improve our starting pitching, so a trade may not even be necessary in order to keep pace in the division.

I do still want to sell high on Cozart regardless though. He is bound to come back down to earth any day now and I want the Reds to cash in on his hype while it's still there. Imagine what we could have gotten if we had sold Frazier high a few years ago. Or if we had held onto Chapman and dealt him when the Yankees did last year. 

Selling high is not something that the Reds have been good at in the past few years. I really hope we buck that trend with Cozart and scoot his ass out of town while the value is there.

Oh yea, ship Cozart regardless. The Reds have enough firepower without him. Ideally for some pitcher(s).
I agree, a trade for a pitcher may not be needed to keep pace in the division. But at some point (likely within next 2 years), the Reds need to either start getting some real quality pitching from their collection of younger pitching prospects and/or trade for someone who would we would have a high confidence in improving the rotation if the Reds hope to actually break away from the pack (like Chicago did last year). 
If the Reds wait more than a few years to try that, the hitters will begin to hit FA and leaving for a ton more money. Need to capitalize on these hitters being cheap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Sad 
Reds day to day is like

[Image: smile.png][Image: smile.png][Image: biggrin.png][Image: smile.png][Image: smile.png][Image: shocked.png][Image: sad.png][Image: sad.png][Image: sad.png][Image: sad.png][Image: sad.png][Image: sad.png][Image: shocked.png][Image: smile.png][Image: smile.png]
Reply/Quote
OUCH.....Reds got swept on West Coast....I know Reds have trouble most years on West Coast.....losing all 6 games is pretty bad, especially swept by Padres. Not many teams get swept by the Padres.

The Reds do come home but they face the very tough LA DODGERS who just swept them. They will probably have to face Wood, Ryu, Kershaw.....AT LEAST IT IS PETE ROSE STATUE WEEKEND....I'm sure Pete and Big Red Machine players will be at GABP this Weekend....On radio in 1980's, Bob Trump asked comedian Dr Erwin Corey about if there will ever be a Pete Rose Statue, and the comic said he thought Mr Rose should be allowed to have an erection. ....So now here we are in 2017, and I think they do this Saturday. If Ryu pitches for Dodgers, Reds have a better chance to win than against Kershaw scheduled Sunday. ......The statue of the head first slide also brings back the old joke when the lady in Florida was saying she had Pete's baby, and some said not possible because Pete only goes in head first....So Reds lose 6 on the Coast, by all means, roll out the Pete Rose Statue. I for one am glad Pete finally allowed in Reds HOF, number retired, Pete statue....Pete in his early days wished he could end up with a statue as St Louis had for Stan Musial. IT HAPPENS THIS WEEKEND. .....Good for Pete, Good for Reds, and most important Good for Cincinnati Fans who needed this closure to the whole Pete thing. I will not comment on Cooperstown, but States Rights and all, Cincinnati Ohio Fans need this. Pete was indeed The Cincinnati Kid.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Anybody else noticed the trend of losing streaks coinciding with a lack of stolen bases by Hamilton and Peraza? Neither has a stolen base in the month of June yet. Hamilton has been banged up, so that's understandable, but Peraza has been playing every day and getting on base, he's just not stealing bases. Is this the player's choice or Price being a moron?
Reply/Quote
Good news on the pitching front. Bailey and Finnegan are pitching in rehab assignments in the minors and could return to the rotation within 2 weeks. Should be a nice boost, hope they can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
Yea, Bailey has been killing it too.

6IP 1H 6SO 1HBP 0BB 0WildP in A

5IP 3H 5SO 0HBP 1BB 1WildP in AA

Granted he should dominate the lower minor leagues.

But it's good that he's doing it.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 08:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, Bailey has been killing it too.

6IP 1H 6SO 1HBP 0BB 0WildP in A

5IP 3H 5SO 0HBP 1BB 1WildP in AA

Granted he should dominate the lower minor leagues.

But it's good that he's doing it.

Gotta assume with those numbers, he hasn't lost any speed on his 95-96 mph fastball.
Reply/Quote