Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Reds Season Day by Day Fan Feedback
I'm beginning to legitimately think we can flip Feldman for a decent prospect at the trade deadline.

He's, easily, our best pitcher right now while simultaneously having absolutely no place in our future, even as soon as 2018.
Reply/Quote
Looks like Finnegan is the new cheaper version of Bailey. Four innings into return from 2 months on the DL and he's hurt again.
Reply/Quote
Luis Castillo is going to be a star in this league.

The ability to consistently throw his fastball at 97 to 100 mph through over 100 pitches is crazy.

His control was much better this start, as was expected, as he only walked 3 batters in 5 2/3 innings. And he also struck out 9 batters.

In his first start, he gave up 5 walks in 5 innings. He did strike out 5 though.

His season line in 2 starts is 10.2 IP 10 H 4 ER 8 BB 14 K 1.69 WHIP .263 BAA and 3.38 ERA

Not bad at all for a rookie who no one thought would make the majors this year.

He and Homer are the only pitchers I am actually excited for their starts right now.
Reply/Quote
Quote:He and Homer are the only pitchers I am actually excited for their starts right now.
Homer now has an ERA around 43.xx. Homer has made more money for surgeons than a battle field.. 
Instead of being a pitching star he should have the title of a pitching scar.. 
I used to like Homer and Arroyo, but their ships have sailed. If the Reds had just 3 decent starting pitchers they'd be in contention, but as it is now they have 1 reliable and 1 who might be..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 11:22 AM)grampahol Wrote: Homer now has an ERA around 43.xx. Homer has made more money for surgeons than a battle field.. 
Instead of being a pitching star he should have the title of a pitching scar.. 
I used to like Homer and Arroyo, but their ships have sailed. If the Reds had just 3 decent starting pitchers they'd be in contention, but as it is now they have 1 reliable and 1 who might be..

He also has had one single start this year. Yes, he was hammered, but he's recovered from injuries and has a chance to impact the staff.

I'm willing to see how he does tonight before making any kind of judgment on his ability to come back and be a good pitcher for our team.
Reply/Quote
If Castillo is this good coming from AA, time to make some room on the 40-man for Mahle.
Reply/Quote
Okay, yea, Bailey sucks.
Reply/Quote
FELDMAN GOES FOR WIN # 8 JULY 5th

If you look around Major League Baseball this year, 8 wins would put him in elite company.

That doesn't mean I want to trade him. I thought we were trying to build a pitching staff, and of all the HYPE for these other young clowns, Feldman is the only bright spot on this staff so far.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Maybe Homer isn't done for after all.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Looks like Finny might be done for the year after tearing the labrum in his non-throwing shoulder. Bad news for this season but good news for next.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19906998/reds-left-hander-brandon-finnegan-surgery-right-shoulder
Reply/Quote
Well, after a pretty much dismal month of June, the Reds have seemed to come back to an even keel, going 6-4 in their last 10 games. Now is the All Star break.

Anyone still thinking that this team can finish .500 or above, or is it time to dump salary?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
ALL-STAR BREAK STARTS 7:07 PM, ES TIME, Sunday......The Bad News is Reds are 10 games under .500......The Good News is Reds have been playing and winning the last 13 games. ....A HUGE BOOST IN STARTING PITCHING....Homer Bailey looked like the two time No Hitter Homer today against a tough Arizona team. Sal Romano who was the best pitcher in Spring Training looked good his last outing getting his first MLB Win. Castillo looked good yesterday. ...So maybe the Reds can have better starting pitching the second half of the season and climb back to .500 Feldman has 7 wins, and below a 4 run ERA, which isn't bad...Lets say they trade Cozart in July. You still have an infield of Votto, Gennett, Peraza and Suarez Schebler, Hamilton and Duvall in the outfield. A very good defensive Barnhart at catcher....A bullpen that just about everybody throws upper 90's to 100 MPH. ...A young pitcher like Garrett who was hot but then not but hopefully gets it together in minors and can be the pitcher he was at start of season.

So ALL-STAR BREAK, 10 Games Under, but over last 13 games some good things in the Starting Pitching, which was the Reds Problem.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, after a pretty much dismal month of June, the Reds have seemed to come back to an even keel, going 6-4 in their last 10 games. Now is the All Star break.

Anyone still thinking that this team can finish .500 or above, or is it time to dump salary?

No chance at playoffs should mean trying to get something for any vets on expiring contracts.
Reply/Quote
I. Love. Luis. Castillo.

Homer Bailey has rebounded very well as well to become a solid starting pitcher.

Let's hope both can keep it up. They are a big part of the future of the Reds.

that Castillo trade was a steal at the time, but it's looking better and better with each of his starts. He has some of the best swing and miss stuff that I've seen in a long time.
Reply/Quote
All that matters this year is that they see something, anything from the young arms. Finally we have that in Castillo. Bailey being healthy and seemingly improving is icing on the cake. If they can carry this into 2018 and get Disco back, then the staff will be significantly less of a joke. That's 3 legit MLB starters. There have been times this year that the staff hasn't had 1.
Reply/Quote
Reds had some momentum the 10 games before All-Star Break. Sadly the Reds are playing one of the very possible World Series Winners this year. Washington Nationals have hitting and pitching and it would be a small miracle if the beat Max Scherzer today. As dominate as Max is and how dominate he looked in the All-Star Game, could be a long night for Reds hitters. I look for Dodgers and Kershaw to meet Nationals and Scherzer in play-offs to see who goes to World Series. Last year it was Cubs loaded on pitching and clutch hitting, this year it's Nationals and Dodgers. Cubs blew Reds away last year, Dodgers blew Reds away this year and look for Nationals to do the same. ...IF, somehow Reds win this Nationals series, maybe they are good enough to climb back to .500 or better.

ADD ON : Nationals did destroy Reds in same fashion Dodgers did....It is July 18th and Reds in last...If Reds could catch the team ahead of them and no BL Central teams get hot, Reds would be back in the hunt. ...That is a Big IF at this point. ...The Reds would have to beat up on Arizona and Miami over those 10 games in this month. Count on the Reds going to NY Yankees for 2 games and getting thumped.

THE GOOD NEWS IS IT'S ALMOST NFL PRESEASON FOOTBALL IN AUGUST.....and you know your baseball team stinks when you are fired up for Preseason Football.

Reds will be Sellers again at Trade Deadline....Any day now we will be saying Good-Bye to some Reds Players. Look for Gennett to get more playing time with Reds or another team if traded. No telling who will get traded, but trades are a coming from this Last Place Team....Last Place Teams Dump Payroll.....Some Fans will complain, and some fans will get excited over getting some real nobody's we get in return. ...The good news is Football Season is near.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well...damn. One of the few bright spots and best trade chips lost. Feldman to DL for right knee inflammation. At least it's not his arm and he'll be back before trade deadline.?
Reply/Quote
The Reds are struggling right now.
Reply/Quote
The Reds had a losing record finishing in 4th place in 2014. The Reds finished in LAST PLACE in 2015 and 2016 coming close to losing 100 games each year. The 2017 Reds are in LAST PLACE and could come close to losing 100 games. So 4 LOUSY seasons in a row....YES, THE REDS ARE STRUGGLING RIGHT NOW...and have been for 4 years.

Is there any reason to think the Reds won't finish in LAST PLACE in 2018 ???......Stick a fork in 2017, The Reds Are Done....The Fat Lady can go ahead and sing, if she hasn't already....I have no idea who Reds will put on the field in 2018 to make this any better. 2 Key Dates Now, The Trade Deadline this month and September when MLB rosters expand and Reds can start Spring Training for 2018 by looking at many players all September, while I watch Bengals. This team is so awful, I would play September like March Spring Training using as many players as possible in each game and get an idea of just what in the heck this team can put on the field to some year get out of LAST PLACE.

I like The Owner...but The GM has to be in question now and maybe it's not Price fault but the team was in Play-Offs before he took over and he has managed them into LAST PLACE every year. Most managers are FIRED way before this point. I'll be honest, Finishing LAST every year, they have nothing to lose by changing managers. A New Manager and let him bring in his own coaches. Nothing here is working. I gave Price credit for the Reds being not as horrible the first couple months, but 3 LAST PLACE finishes in a row should hand him his cardboard box to clear out his desk. The owner should fire his GM people also. It just isn't jiving. Nothing is going right. ...and if the Owner has reached the point he can't afford to be a MLB Owner, for the good of the Reds he needs to sell out to people with that do have the money. That would be sad though, because Castallini bright back Reds Hall Of Fame and took a very generic looking Cincinnati Park and turned GABP into a very nice ballpark. I like Castallini far more than other Reds owners of Marge and Lindner. ...3 Straight LAST PLACE finishes should bring new GM's and new Managers and new coaches. This is business and it's time to start firing people.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I wonder how many games this year the Reds have given up runs in the first inning.
Reply/Quote