Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Beginning of the End
(07-18-2017, 08:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have said this countless times and maybe folks either choose to ignore it or don't believe it, but Mike doesn't run the team any more.  He is more of a figure head.  

Katie, Troy, and Marvin run the show...and they have an excellent scouting department.

We can hammer Mike Brown all we want, but there would have been many other teams drafting Akili Smith, or David Klingler, or Ki-Jana Carter....and as far as Blake goes, there was some ugly circumstances involving paternity suits (a lot of them) showing up at the Bengals stadium.  A little success went to Blake's, uh, head, rather quickly.  That is a large reason why they were not apt to try and build around him.  

I'm not so sure about that one.....but there were others interested in Klingler, and definitely Carter.  There have been two times in my life that I felt like one of those furious Jets fans they used to show on ESPN on draft day.  One, the day we drafted Klingler, and two, the day we drafted Smith. LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 11:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And if you whiffed on four....Klingler, Ki-Jana, Akili, and Reinard Wilson, you were doomed for a decade...

....and here's one I thought would be a good one for us......d'oh!

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 02:59 PM)3wt Wrote: One of the biggest draft day failures was not taking Roaf who literally was throwing the Alabama teammate (Curry) of the DE we took in the draft (Copeland) around like he was a little girl.   Uggghh  I ranted to my uncaring family for hours after that mistake.   Roaf ended up ripping Curry's helmet off and throwing it into the end zone.

I was drooling.   We have gotten better of late drafting, but that was a colossal failure in an era of really bad draft day decisions.

I think it's quite possible that if we drafted some other players during this time that they would have been busts and guys like Klingler might have actually been a decent Pro on a better team.

Klingler came from the run and shoot. Pretty low success rate for those guys in the NFL.

Contrast that to spread offense QB's now who have a higher success rate. Different times.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 03:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....and here's one I thought would be a good one for us......d'oh!

Wilson was a dominant DE in college and we tried to move him to OLB. That was doomed.

We actually had a good LB trio with Simmons, Spikes, and Foley at one point.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 03:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wilson was a dominant DE in college and we tried to move him to OLB. That was doomed.

That's right.....I forgot about that part.  We were running a different scheme back then.  I remember Wilson well from his days in the Garnet and Gold....the Seminoles have kept me sane during football season many a time. LMAO

Reply/Quote
We're hardly the only team to play the QB lottery and suck for a long time as result. We only have to look a little ways up I-71 to see a prime example of a team that might have been ok if they could only find a decent QB or one that doesn't leave shell shocked after a few seasons. 
We've had some darn good QBs over the years. There were only really a few periods of bad QBs in Cincinnati.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 03:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....and here's one I thought would be a good one for us......d'oh!

Another great college player that showed up after his inevitable hold out fat and out of shape.  

I was at one of his early camp practices and I remember thinking that I could have been more effective off the edge.  After about 5 snaps, he was gassed and useless.  Turd. 
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 03:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it's quite possible that if we drafted some other players during this time that they would have been busts and guys like Klingler might have actually been a decent Pro on a better team.

Klingler came from the run and shoot. Pretty low success rate for those guys in the NFL.

Contrast that to spread offense QB's now who have a higher success rate. Different times.

Yeah, I think I recall someone saying that Klingler was sacked at least 6 times in his first start (possibly more) and never recovered.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 03:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wilson was a dominant DE in college and we tried to move him to OLB. That was doomed.

I think Foley got in the dog house at one point and they traded him to San Diego (I think), but they were a really good group while he was here.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 05:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's right.....I forgot about that part.  We were running a different scheme back then.  I remember Wilson well from his days in the Garnet and Gold....the Seminoles have kept me sane during football season many a time. LMAO

Reinard wasn't all that bad. I think he was partially a victim of circumstance. We ran a 3-4 and tried to make him an OLB for his first 3 years. After switching him to DE, he did have a 9 sack season. Disappeared after that...not sure if it was due to injury or what. IMO, we've had far worse busts. Fwiw...I can't blame him for holding out his rookie year. That used to be a yearly occurrence due to Mikey's cheapness.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 02:17 PM)3wt Wrote: Yeah, I think I recall someone saying that Klingler was sacked at least 6 times in his first start (possibly more) and never recovered.

He was sacked 18 times in his first three games. That first one saw him sacked 10 times.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote