Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Team Slogan
The line came from a speech from Paul Brown at the start of the 1973 training camp.  Peter King transcribed the speech a couple of years ago in SI.  It's fascinating.  And much of it is true today.  It is a long speech (you should follow this link ) but here is the pertinent paragraph

"I want to emphasize, particularly to our new men, that this is not college football. You're trying to make a pro team and the responsibility for doing so rests squarely with you. It's honest, but I'm going to say this to you, it takes a lot of man, really. Rookies are treated just like veterans here. There's no hazing. No differentiation whatsoever. A lot of our rookies are married men trying to make a living, same as the veterans. In a nutshell, it's just all-out open competition to be one of the 40 to make it. Man to man. There's no sugar-coating or pampering. Whenever you have a spoiled problem player, my experience has been almost without exception he's not very bright. That's where the trouble comes, from that type of person. But whether you're a veteran or a man fresh out of college, how big a name you might think you have, it just doesn't mean much when you get into football and pro football. You aren't going to impress anybody by how big you talk or how flashy you dress or how big a car you drive or what kind of a contract you think you have. The only thing that's going to count here is the dedication and performance on the field. No one will be exerting or pushing you; it comes from within you. Run on your own gas.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 10:03 PM)pally Wrote: The line came from a speech from Paul Brown at the start of the 1973 training camp.  Peter King transcribed the speech a couple of years ago in SI.  It's fascinating.  And much of it is true today.  It is a long speech (you should follow this link ) but here is the pertinent paragraph

"I want to emphasize, particularly to our new men, that this is not college football. You're trying to make a pro team and the responsibility for doing so rests squarely with you. It's honest, but I'm going to say this to you, it takes a lot of man, really. Rookies are treated just like veterans here. There's no hazing. No differentiation whatsoever. A lot of our rookies are married men trying to make a living, same as the veterans. In a nutshell, it's just all-out open competition to be one of the 40 to make it. Man to man. There's no sugar-coating or pampering. Whenever you have a spoiled problem player, my experience has been almost without exception he's not very bright. That's where the trouble comes, from that type of person. But whether you're a veteran or a man fresh out of college, how big a name you might think you have, it just doesn't mean much when you get into football and pro football. You aren't going to impress anybody by how big you talk or how flashy you dress or how big a car you drive or what kind of a contract you think you have. The only thing that's going to count here is the dedication and performance on the field. No one will be exerting or pushing you; it comes from within you. Run on your own gas.

Fitting that, in year 50, it is a quote by PB himself...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 10:03 PM)pally Wrote: The line came from a speech from Paul Brown at the start of the 1973 training camp.  Peter King transcribed the speech a couple of years ago in SI.  It's fascinating.  And much of it is true today.  It is a long speech (you should follow this link ) but here is the pertinent paragraph

Well? Now I like it!

Reply/Quote

Alright, love it now actually. Great stuff. :andy:
Reply/Quote
pally schooling us

teach it pally
Reply/Quote
Marvin should just go with what's really in his heart.

[Image: im-getting-too-old-for-this-shit.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
They're just slogans, not life and death,  but this one can really hit home with certain players and people. 
I have little doubt most of us have worked with people who always seem to have to take the extra bathroom break, seem to be allowed to screw things up and get away with it on a regular basis while we don't catch any break..
I wish I had a dime every time I worked overtime without pay to do somebody else's job who spent all day slacking off. 
I think it speaks to something along those lines. Do your job and don't sit around waiting for someone else to do it for you. 
I've quit plenty of jobs where others were given a free ride every day while I busted my ass only to be used..
Few things piss me off more than users, liars and thieves..I have zero use for them..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
?????? My slogan for Marvin and the team is one word "THIMK". Not "think, "THIMK"
Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 04:54 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I thought it would be something inspiring and memorable like

"Fifty is Nifty"!

In all seriousness, that is an astonishingly embarrassing "slogan". I hope that's just a joke...

That's the most embarrassing thing the team has come up with since monkeys riding on dogs

If I had any say so, I would assign someone to download and print out EVERY 'negative' article about this team, whether it's talking heads or opposing players.

I would then have that person post the generic 'team' articles all over the locker room in areas where the players come, go, and hang out.

I would also have that person post any specific 'individual' articles at that particular player's locker for him to see.

I don't disagree with Marvin's philosophy of "Ignore the Noise" as far as letting this stuff get into players heads, but I think using the articles be answered by letting their play on the field stifle the authors!!

But hey, who am I, just an upper deck fourth row end zone fan!!  Nervous
Reply/Quote
I actually like it...If Marv can't motivate his troops, he is telling them to be motivated themselves...and they damn well should. They have the talent to win it all and never buy another meal, drink, etc. in the city for the rest of their lives.

On another note, I read this and I got a warm fuzzy....

"Among some of the highlights were:
Left tackle Cedric Ogbuehi stopping rookie linebacker Carl Lawson cold on back-to-back 1-on-1 blocking drill plays."

OK, so Lawson is a fourth-round rookie, but I will take it.
Reply/Quote
I still like "Gas, Grass, or Ass, nobody rides for free!" better, but that's just me I guess.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 12:36 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I still like "Gas, Grass, or Ass, nobody rides for free!" better, but that's just me I guess.

Pity the man who has to give his ass to Marvin  Nervous
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 05:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is downright hypocritical but this one is laughable too.

Dude has to go after this season even if we win the SB.

I vote for this as the slogan
Reply/Quote