Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 first round pick
Yep! I'm going there as I watch Howard play very well, against a good Carolina D. Played well against the Bengals as well.

I know hindsight is 20/20, & this may be cherry picking; that said, this was the guy I wanted if we were going to go with a so called " luxury pick". At this point it's a no brainer, and once again someone screwed the pooch.

If they wanted a field stretcher they should have just went after a guy like Ted Ginn, or another such speedster.

Howard is a beast, and is only going to get better. Not sure bout anyone else, but would have loved seeing him in stripes.
Howard is jacked! Not dissing Eiffert, but would feel much better if we had spent that "luxery pick" on another Cadillac at the TE position.
Boyd is making Ross, Mr.Irrelevant!!
Reply/Quote
Ross is making Ross irrelevant. He needs no help in that department.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I dont know if Ross will be healthy this week or not, but with Green probably about to miss substantial time, he's about to become very valuable. Here is hoping he breaks out. We need him
Reply/Quote
Glad Howard is doing extremely well.

Gonna have to wait 4 years before I can call someone a bust or the next best player.

Remember, WJIII looked amazing last year, meanwhile this year hasn't played anywhere near hat he did last year.

But I do believe Howard would have helped this Bengals team. As does Ross.

Difference is, Howard has played in 13 more games and Ross has dealt with injuries these last two years.

Howard has been in for 302 snaps this year (excluding today).
Ross has been in for 159 snaps this year.

2017? Howard had 608 snaps.
Ross had 17 snaps in 2017.

Howard has more snaps this year than Ross has his entire career.

And don't forget, in 2016-17 the Bengals struggled mightily in the passing game. They needed a difference maker in the receiving corp outside of AJ Green.

Also, you said Tyler Boyd is making Ross irrelevant.
Meanwhile, last year Boyd was also pretty irrelevant. 2 TDs through 10 games and only 225 yards.
This year, Boyd has more TDs and yards than he did his last two seasons.

Gotta give players time
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I was definitely on the Howard train in 2017.

I was optimistic about Ross, although I thought he was overdrafted.

Oh well.

Can't change it now.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 12:37 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was definitely on the Howard train in 2017.

I was optimistic about Ross, although I thought he was overdrafted.

Oh well.

Can't change it now.

You know, if we took Ross in the 2nd Round it's a different story. And 2nd Round was where I saw him projected.

Then again, if he has 100 yards last year the Bengals would look like geniuses for taking him that high.

I think his main issue is lack of mental toughness.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2018, 05:49 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I know hindsight is 20/20, & this may be cherry picking; that said, this was the guy I wanted if we were going to go with a so called " luxury pick". At this point it's a no brainer, and once again someone screwed the pooch.

Funny how you never make threads about the guys you wanted who turned out to be busts.  I wonder why that is?

Th Patriots used a first round pick on Dominique Easley. EVERY team misses on draft picks.  I just don't see the point of these type of threads.
Reply/Quote
Overall as I have said 2017 first round wasn't very good minus the QBs.

Howard was taken late which hindsight would have been nice to trade back and taken him or Foster (who's had off field issues)

We missed, its happened, maybe Ross will surprise here for the second half off the year, with AJ down we could really use him
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny how you never make threads about the guys you wanted who turned out to be busts.  I wonder why that is?

Th Patriots used a first round pick on Dominique Easley. EVERY team misses on draft picks.  I just don't see the point of these type of threads.
It's a vent thread, during a bye week, counselor. It's also common sense. At current rate, this team will need to draft a TE, and a WR in the early rounds.
I've never called the Ross kid a bust, and still have hope for him. That said, the current TE situation, would have already been addressed, & wouldn't need fixing.

I'm not knocking Ross, just wish they had taken Howard. Especially, given Eifert's horrible injury luck. Seemed like a no brainer at the time, and still does.
As to your opening sentence; cause most guys that I would choose with my first pick are usually sure things!! No gambling n the first round.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 08:01 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: As to your opening sentence; cause most guys that I would choose with my first pick are usually sure things!! No gambling n the first round.

My point is that there are no "sure things" in the first round.

And BTW you wanted us to take Reuben Foster in the first round, not Howard.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 08:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My point is that there are no "sure things" in the first round.

And BTW you wanted us to take Reuben Foster in the first round, not Howard.

I remember, I was on the fence about it, with LB looking like a more important need at that time. I can say with absolute honesty, that I really liked Howard as well. I'm sure there are a couple of posts out there somewhere that can confirm that.

I'm not going to argue with you, Fred. Can you honestly tell me that you didn't wish we had Howard, right about now?

I agree, it's very hard to always hit n the first, but when they do their homework properly, it's usually a good thing  for the team, and us fans.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2018, 10:23 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Glad Howard is doing extremely well.

Gonna have to wait 4 years before I can call someone a bust or the next best player.

Remember, WJIII looked amazing last year, meanwhile this year hasn't played anywhere near hat he did last year.

But I do believe Howard would have helped this Bengals team. As does Ross.

Difference is, Howard has played in 13 more games and Ross has dealt with injuries these last two years.

Howard has been in for 302 snaps this year (excluding today).
Ross has been in for 159 snaps this year.

2017? Howard had 608 snaps.
Ross had 17 snaps in 2017.

Howard has more snaps this year than Ross has his entire career.

And don't forget, in 2016-17 the Bengals struggled mightily in the passing game. They needed a difference maker in the receiving corp outside of AJ Green.

Also, you said Tyler Boyd is making Ross irrelevant.
Meanwhile, last year Boyd was also pretty irrelevant. 2 TDs through 10 games and only 225 yards.
This year, Boyd has more TDs and yards than he did his last two seasons.

Gotta give players time

Ross had 17 only snaps largely because he was a healthy inactive for many games. He didn't go on IR until the last two games of the season. He simply wasn't getting it done in practice. He isn't getting it done this year either. He's not a rookie, he's a second year top 10 pick whose eating far more cap space than his production warrants.

It doesn't take 4 years to know if someone just doesn't have it. We figured out Ogbuehi didn't have it after two years.

Reply/Quote
Howard was the only player I wanted more than Ross that year, so I'm not surprised he's becoming a great TE.
For Ross, I think injuries unfortunately have held him back and that was the big gamble with him. But I won't call him a bust until he's at least finished three seasons.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 02:17 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Ross had 17 only snaps largely because he was a healthy inactive for many games. He didn't go on IR until the last two games of the season. He simply wasn't getting it done in practice. He isn't getting it done this year either. He's not a rookie, he's a second year top 10 pick whose eating far more cap space than his production warrants.

It doesn't take 4 years to know if someone just doesn't have it. We figured out Ogbuehi didn't have it after two years.

John Ross went on IR on Dec 6, in which there were still four games remaining.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-place-2017-first-rounder-john-ross-on-ir-after-disastrous-rookie-season/
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 02:17 AM)BengalChris Wrote: It doesn't take 4 years to know if someone just doesn't have it. We figured out Ogbuehi didn't have it after two years.

You also figured out that Andre Smith, Dre Kirkpatrick and Darquez Dennard were busts by this time in their careers.

When you call them all busts you are bound to be right sometimes.
Reply/Quote
He was everyone's pick, including Hobspins. That's why there was widespread shock when Ross was picked.

Ross was off many teams boards (especially in the first round) which we are seeing why. But what is done is done. We can't even get a end round out of the guy.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2018, 05:49 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Yep! I'm going there as I watch Howard play very well, against a good Carolina D. Played well against the Bengals as well.

I know hindsight is 20/20, & this may be cherry picking; that said, this was the guy I wanted if we were going to go with a so called " luxury pick". At this point it's a no brainer, and once again someone screwed the pooch.

If they wanted a field stretcher they should have just went after a guy like Ted Ginn, or another such speedster.

Howard is a beast, and is only going to get better. Not sure bout anyone else, but would have loved seeing him in stripes.
Howard is jacked! Not dissing Eiffert, but would feel much better if we had spent that "luxery pick" on another Cadillac at the TE position.
Boyd is making Ross, Mr.Irrelevant!!

with all the injuries to eifert over the years I was hoping for a Tight End as well...
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You also figured out that Andre Smith, Dre Kirkpatrick and Darquez Dennard were busts by this time in their careers.

When you call them all busts you are bound to be right sometimes.

When did I ever call any of those 3 busts?

I loved the Dennard pick. I was skeptical about the Kirkpatrick pick but figured he was the best corner on the board when at the time and I liked the Andre pick but his hold out turned me off.

I also loved the Willie Jackson pick, the Price pick, the Eifert pick.

I didn't like the Gresham pick and would have preferred Dez Bryant.

Ross had red flags all over him and he was an easy pick to no like, particularly when you see how well the players the Bengals passed on have played.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 10:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: John Ross went on IR on Dec 6, in which there were still four games remaining.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-place-2017-first-rounder-john-ross-on-ir-after-disastrous-rookie-season/

Okay, 4 games, 1/4 of the season. Point was that he had plenty of opportunity to learn the offense and contribute in games. He didn't do either.

Now he's in year two and it's largely been more of the same despite all the talk during the off season about how he was working with TJ and blah, blah, blah.

If he wants to start winning over fans, this week should provide him with the opportunity to do just that. I hope he does. I've always hoped he'd turn out to be a good player for the Bengals. My dislike of picking him didn't have as much to do with him but more about picking him in the top 10 when his history didn't warrant that at all. If we'd have gotten him in the 3rd round then I'd thought he'd have been a good potential WR.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 02:17 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Ross had 17 only snaps largely because he was a healthy inactive for many games. He didn't go on IR until the last two games of the season. He simply wasn't getting it done in practice. He isn't getting it done this year either. He's not a rookie, he's a second year top 10 pick whose eating far more cap space than his production warrants.

So is Eifert eating more cap space? Because he makes more than Ross.
Oh, and Kirkpatrick and Dennard do as well.
And Preston Brown.
And Michael Johnson.

Cedric Ogbuehi also played in 34 games, starting in 25.
He had 742 snaps in his first two seasons; assuming you're including the year he was hurt.

In which case, Ross should at least get at least 19 games or 742 snaps.
Meanwhile, he only has played in 8 games and has 176 snaps.

Then we could also get into Kirkpatrick's lack of play his first two years as well. And Dennard. And Tyler Boyd.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote