Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Class
(05-04-2018, 12:40 PM)3wt Wrote: Nice realistic take on the draft in general and this years in particular.   Here are my feelings in addition to yours:

Price......Instant starter.  Best Center we have had in years. (Braham's a little overrated)  Definite upgrade - we'll see how good

Jesse Bates FS.....Will play 30-50 percent of the snaps.  Major piece of our defense.  Looked at some film of Bates.   He looks REALLY good.  Big upgrade in center field, and makes 3 safety sets pretty nifty.

Sam Hubbard DE...Might take MJ's DE snaps immediately.  Might need a year to adapt to NFL.  At this point I will avert my eyes from the list of D-linemen we have taken in the second and third rounds over the previous 6 drafts  Loved his highlights, but they were highlights and this is the pros.  I did get a tweak from seeing him beat Quentin Nelson.  But as you put we have had a poor history of DEs (or any position) in the 3rd round.   Jury is still out on Willis.

Malik Jefferson LB....Don't like what I have read about him, but the reason we got Dunlap in the wecond round was his supposed lack of fire and focus.  If we can coach this guy up he could be a huge help at a very thin position.  Looked at some of his film.  One minute he was a stud and the next looked lost.  He certainly has the physical ability.   But it's all about what's in his heart and between his ears.

Mark Walton RB....Wish we had taken another position, but a lot of people are saying this was a great value pick.  Hope he can replace Peermans ST production.  It would be nice to be able to just carry 3 RBs.  He looked GREAT on film.  Fine acceleration, great contact balance and good vision.

Davontae Harris CB....Don't know anything about him, but one of these 5th-7th rounders will proabably be a good player for the Bengals over the years.  He looked pretty good on film, but I did not see a lot.

Andrew Brown 5T......My favorite of the 5th-7th picks.  My 4th favorite overall.  I really like this guy.  We had some of our bests defenses when we had high quality rotation guys like Rucker, Fanene, and Gilberry on the D-line.    Sounds really exciting, but looked "Meh" on film.

Darius Phillips CB/KR.....See "Devontea Harris"   Did not see any film, but sounds really promising

Logan Woodside QB....See "Devontea Harris"     See Phillips

Rod Taylor G/T.....See "Devontea Harris" (could benefit from weak competition)   See Phillips.   Sounds like he could be a dominant road grading guard.

Auden Tate WR....See "Devontea Harris"   See Phillips.   Would like to see someone clearly beat out Core at this point  - or Core step up his game.   You have to like this guy's size and he sounds like a player.

I think early we aimed for "need" guys who should step in where we're a bit weak. Then we fished for SLEEPERS and.....I think we did that well.

i saw Hubbard in HS, he was All state FS on a State Champ team.  Expected he'd bulk up a bit, be a LB at ohio St. He bulkd MORE, ended up a DE.  I wonder if his future here isn't LB.
Reply/Quote