Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Class
(05-06-2018, 07:11 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: Why was drafting Walton a head scratcher?

A 4th Round offensive lineman likely won't play for 3 years if ever. Plus, 10 lineman make a roster. How many do we have right now? With the run on lineman, you might be taking the 60th ranked lineman.

Now, with Walton, you get the 7th or 8th ranked RB. Plus, you need 2 RBs in the NFL. If Bernard or Mixon get injured, Walton can play.

And Walton is a good special teams player which you need. So from Year 1 you'll get contribution from him.

His upside is high. Had he not had a severe ankle injury, he likely was a 2nd Round pick. Guy could eventually start one day too if Mixon for some reason doesn't produce.

I'm not questioning upside at all. I do the draft thing heavily but he just got past me this year. So it was a head scratcher to me. I knew nothing about him at all and I mocked him zero times! I didn't know alot about Devontae Harris until later in the process. I truly thought he'd either go 7th or undrafted. Just the draft process. I did mock Logan but expected Luke
Reply/Quote
Well the Bengals saw something in them. And that they got drafted. Hope to expect good things from them in the future.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 10:11 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Well the Bengals saw something in them. And that they got drafted. Hope to expect good things from them in the future.
Exactly. 
Reply/Quote
Walton has great feet, great vision and good solid acceleration. He'll be fun to watch.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 09:32 AM)Emeritus Wrote: They could very well start him at RG his first season.
In that senario I guess TJ Johnson would be starting in the middle. Probably highly unlikely but could happen.

Nah man, Price is the starting Center opening day barring injuries.

(05-06-2018, 06:22 PM)Emeritus Wrote: The pick in the fourth was definately a head scratcher for me because I thought that was the time to grab that extra offensive lineman. Its debatable with whats on the current roster but in hindsight was there an option better at that point then whats currently on the roster already. The pick has grown on me now and I see a very explosive player who can help this offense injuries or not. The guy just wasn't a player on alot of people's radar. Me included

That is the way i felt at the time for sure.

But Crosby was coming off an injury and Jimarco just doesn't have much bend.

I can understand taking a 2nd round talent ST's RB in the 4th round with mad heart. Walton should inspire.
Reply/Quote
I can't really criticize the Bengals draft too much...but I may have drafted Orlando Brown Jr in the 3rd.

In the 2nd, I would have been tempted to try to trade up for Will Hernandez, but between Redmond and Westerman they may feel they are set at Guard.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 01:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nah man, Price is the starting Center opening day barring injuries.

That is the way i felt at the time for sure.

But Crosby was coming off an injury and Jimarco just doesn't have much bend.

I can understand taking a 2nd round talent ST's RB in the 4th round with mad heart. Walton should inspire.

I think the 2019 class of trench guys wlll be much better on both sides of the ball. I like both Clemson & Wisconsin to play each other in the title game next year because of trench play. The offensive line in Wisconsin is the best in the country top to bottom next season.imo. They may have 3-4 first rounders on that line in next years draft. I like David Edwards best out of the group with ceiling to play both sides at the next level. Some of the returning staters as well.
Greg Little Ole Miss/ Adams Washington.
If we go that way which isnt too early to predict then we'll at least have a selection of guys to pick from.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 06:35 PM)Emeritus Wrote: I think the 2019 class of trench guys wlll be much better on both sides of the ball. I like both Clemson & Wisconsin to play each other in the title game next year because of trench play. The offensive line in Wisconsin is the best in the country top to bottom next season.imo. They may have 3-4 first rounders on that line in next years draft. I like David Edwards best out of the group with ceiling to play both sides at the next level. Some of the returning staters as well.
If we go that way which isnt too early to predict then we'll at least have a selection of guys to pick from.

Wisconsin always has good oline play but fo some reasons their style can't hang with the elite programs.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 10:05 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: Wisconsin always has good oline play but fo some reasons their style can't hang with the elite programs.

This class is finalized this weekend!!!!
Reply/Quote
Watching Roland Jones reminded me of Elvis Dumervil.

Could be a late round steal for Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Really like Bates and Brown as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 06:35 PM)Emeritus Wrote: I think the 2019 class of trench guys wlll be much better on both sides of the ball. I like both Clemson & Wisconsin to play each other in the title game next year because of trench play. The offensive line in Wisconsin is the best in the country top to bottom next season.imo. They may have 3-4 first rounders on that line in next years draft. I like David Edwards best out of the group with ceiling to play both sides at the next level. Some of the returning staters as well.

Nice prediction, Bama always seems to be in there no matter who gets drafted from that team though.

Clemson had their badasses on that D-line come back and Wisconsin will be able to run the ball on anyone pretty
much with that O-line and that RB they have. Like i said, nice prediction.

OSU sure lost lots of good players on both lines, two of them we got and hopefully their LB too in Worley. Nice
seeing us Draft OSU guys for once. They also lost two of their Ends.

(05-10-2018, 10:42 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Watching Roland Jones reminded me of Elvis Dumervil.

Could be a late round steal for Bengals.

Need to watch some more on Rolland Jones, he did tie Suggs sack record in college from what i heard.

An Undrafted steal, Go Cards, undrafted steal. Cool
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 01:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice prediction, Bama always seems to be in there no matter who gets drafted from that team though.

Clemson had their badasses on that D-line come back and Wisconsin will be able to run the ball on anyone pretty

OSU sure lost lots of good players on both lines, two of them we got and hopefully their LB too in Worley. Nice

Need to watch some more on Rolland Jones, he did tie Suggs sack record in college from what i heard.

Just another guy to keep your eye on starting this weekend. The player that I like as a darkhorse is Auden Tate.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 01:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice prediction, Bama always seems to be in there no matter who gets drafted from that team though.

The picks will be plentiful at offensive tackle in the next draft. If you fear Geno leaving then this will be the best upcoming draft for d-line in a decade.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 08:26 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Just another guy to keep your eye on starting this weekend. The player that I like as a darkhorse is Auden Tate.

Could be an Eifert type in the Red Zone with his size and ability to pin point the ball in the air.

(05-12-2018, 10:39 PM)Emeritus Wrote: The picks will be plentiful at offensive tackle in the next draft. If you fear Geno leaving then this will be the best upcoming draft for d-line in a decade.

Still have hope for Fisher and i really like what i have seen in the past from both Rod Taylor and Perkins.

Hart is also getting some love from the coaches and might not be as bad as we all think.

RT might be okay under Pollack's tutelage.

We have to re-sign Geno, have to IMO.

Draft his replacement but keep him here as long as possible.
Reply/Quote
For reasons I can't explain other than my typical rose colored glasses approach I'm feeling pretty good about this year's draft more so than other seasons. 
Almost every draft there's a few guys who seem to be the consolation prize, camp bodies nobody expects to amount to anything ,but this one just feels different . I like the Price pick, but something is gnawing at me telling me that he's not going to live up to the hype Hobson is heaping on him, but  he'll still be around for a good while barring some catastrophic injury. For now I don't see any huge swings and misses, but it'll have to play out to see. It's possible that Tate takes over as the #2 we've been hoping for since MJ left for Detroit . It's possible that Woodside takes over at the backup QB position. Walton may just take over and blow everyone else away. It's not as if we've never seen a running back flame out and get replaced  by a young up and comer.  Right now  it's all just speculation until the season progresses..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 02:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Could be an Eifert type in the Red Zone with his size and ability to pin point the ball in the air.

Still have hope for Fisher and i really like what i have seen in the past from both Rod Taylor and Perkins.

Hart is also getting some love from the coaches and might not be as bad as we all think.

RT might be okay under Pollack's tutelage.

We have to re-sign Geno, have to IMO.

Draft his replacement but keep him here as long as possible.

I'd love to see them move Ced before training camp but thats maybe a pipe dream. The reality tells me that he ends up the starter on the right at guard. I like Fisher to possibly emerge at the tackle spot with Hart as the swing. I'm just hoping that the new coaching style is the missing piece in the development of all three guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 08:26 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Just another guy to keep your eye on starting this weekend. The player that I like as a darkhorse is Auden Tate.

Love this guy.  He seems talented, tough and confident.  Only thing he's missing is speed.  But that doesn't always end up being the most important thing.  I think of Anquan Boldan and Burfict.

He's my 2018 Briscoe/ Core.   Hopefully he'll pan out
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 04:48 PM)3wt Wrote: Love this guy.  He seems talented, tough and confident.  Only thing he's missing is speed.  But that doesn't always end up being the most important thing.  I think of Anquan Boldan and Burfict.

He's my 2018 Briscoe/ Core.   Hopefully he'll pan out

A redzone nightmare !
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 08:47 PM)Emeritus Wrote: I'd love to see them move Ced before training camp but thats maybe a pipe dream. The reality tells me that he ends up the starter on the right at guard. I like Fisher to possibly emerge at the tackle spot with Hart as the swing. I'm just hoping that the new coaching style is the missing piece in the development of all three guys.

There really is no reason to move Og, they didn't pick up his option and he might be a serviceable backup in
case Glenn goes down. He is only a LT, that is all he might be good at honestly. He is too tall and lanky and
not near powerful enough to play Guard, especially RG.
Reply/Quote