Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Draft Rewind
Ended up going down a rabbit hole this evening, which got me thinking about the 2018 draft and trade with the bills.

At the time I figured we had a average to above average starting LT in Glenn for 3-4 years
, and essentially only had to move back 9 spots. After the pick of price, our OL was going to be revamped and highly improved. Fast forward 2 years and we gave up the 12th pick for nothing.

I’m hoping Jonah williams comes in and kills it with Burrow and the history books are rewritten in the bengals favor. Hell if burrow wins as a bengal he will go down in the likes of manning with Indy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 01:14 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Ended up going down a rabbit hole this evening, which got me thinking about the 2018 draft and trade with the bills.

At the time I figured we had a average to above average starting LT in Glenn for 3-4 years
, and essentially only had to move back 9 spots. After the pick of price, our OL was going to be revamped and highly improved.   Fast forward 2 years and we gave up the 12th pick for nothing.

I’m hoping Jonah williams comes in and kills it with Burrow and the history books are rewritten in the bengals favor.  Hell if burrow wins as a bengal he will go down in the likes of manning with Indy.

Hindsight being 20/20, of course, but there were some good players we could've had if the trade wasn't made. 

The big question is should the Bengals have been able to know how Glenn would have turned out.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
They traded back thinking they could get Glenn and Ragnow. Then Ragnow gets picked right in front of us so we panic and take Price. Here we sit with Glenn released and a bust in Price. It's crazy how bad Detroit made that in the end.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 03:21 PM)McC Wrote: Hindsight being 20/20, of course, but there were some good players we could've had if the trade wasn't made. 

The big question is should the Bengals have been able to know how Glenn would have turned out.

So do you just consider it bad luck/timing or bengals being incompetent?

Many of the first rounders have been bad luck with injuries. Price is just terrible.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 05:24 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: So do you just consider it bad luck/timing or bengals being incompetent?

Many of the first rounders have been bad luck with injuries.  Price is just terrible.

Not necessarily incompetence.  They couldn't have predicted how he would act last year.  But as a general rule, if a team is willing to trade a LT, maybe you leave no stone unturned to find out why.

All in all, probably bad luck more than anything else.  I can't slam them too hard for trying to get better and keep their QB from getting killed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
2012 Dre Kirkpatrick DB Alabama
Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
2013 21 Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame 1-time Pro Bowler
2014 24 Darqueze Dennard DB Michigan State
2015 21 Cedric Ogbuehi OT Texas A&M
2016 24 William Jackson III DB Houston
2017 9 John Ross WR Washington
2018 21 Billy Price C Ohio State
2019 11 Jonah Williams OT Alabama

So since 2012 we

A) lost our best pick to FA (Zeitler)
B) lost our last 5 (I think) first rounds picks to injury first year
C) lost a premier TE to injuries over his career
D) had two middling DBs.
E) 1 Bengal pro bowl season out of a possible 39 seasons worth of talent drafted in the first round since 2012.

I guess that sums it up. No wonder we have a below average team.
Reply/Quote