Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 HC Candidates......
(09-15-2017, 09:45 AM)corpjet Wrote: sadly its not too early to look at 2018 HC candidates...........anyone you like on the list?

Potential 2018 Head Coaches...

Out of that list I would take Tom Coughlin, we need a hard disciplinarian to get rid of the troublemakers (Pac Man) and someone who would stand up to Mike Brown in the conference room..........

Remember how back in 2003 we hired Marv over Coughlin? That has to be one of the biggest f*** ups in franchise history. And the sad thing is I loved the Marv hire back then. We hired the coach I wanted, we drafted the QB I DESPERATELY wanted... Things were looking very bright for the Bengals. 

Fast forward 14 years and I couldn't have been more wrong  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:04 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: As much as I'd like an outside hire, the team has all but confirmed they'll promote from within. It's likely either Guenther or Urban. Honestly, I don't care who it is. As long as it's not Marvin (or Alexander), it'll be a welcome change

Not sure why people keep saying this.  The last time we hired a coach it was from outside.  If this team goes 6-10 or worse, there's no way they are promoting from within.  You only do that when you are replacing a winner.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:47 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Remember how back in 2003 we hired Marv over Coughlin? That has to be one of the biggest f*** ups in franchise history. And the sad thing is I loved the Marv hire back then. We hired the coach I wanted, we drafted the QB I DESPERATELY wanted... Things were looking very bright for the Bengals. 

Fast forward 14 years and I couldn't have been more wrong  Hilarious

You weren't wrong at all.  The Palmer pick and the Lewis hire were good moves.

The injury to Palmer and the ensuing loss hurt this franchise a lot.  Marvin got us to the playoffs  - a lot.

He reminds me of Denny Green.  A good guy to rebuild something, but can't win the big one.

The thing that really sucks is that if we our current group (Tobin) we would have addressed the one or two spots we needed back in 2005--2009 to get us over the hump.
Reply/Quote
I'd definitely want an outside hire. I have nothing against Guenther, but I feel like we'd just move Haslett or Coyle to DC, their assistant position coach would become the main position guy. Then the only new guy would be an assistant position coach. This team seems to be afraid of change.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
IF the season keeps going the way it is, this locker room will be toxic. That's not something an insider can fix.

The only bright side is that Marvin won't need to be fired, his contract is done after the year. Makes it much easier for Mikey to let him go since he doesn't have to "fire" him and he can honor his contract.
Reply/Quote
I truely believe that Marv will not be fired. He will announce his retirement towards the end of the season giving Brown ample time to consider replacements. I believe he's had enough ....when the cameras cut to him on the sideline throughout the game last night, he just looked...well...defeated.
Reply/Quote
If Marvin Lewis is fired or retires, Mike Brown will hire Paul to replace him. (Alexander, not Guenther).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind Todd Downing.

A name NOT on that list? Terry Robiskie. Did a pretty good job '08-'15 with the Falcons WRs, and last year made the Titans the 11th overall offense (3rd in rushing) after they were 30th overall (25th rushing) in 2015. They also went from 29th in the league on 3rd Down in 2015 to 3rd in the league in 2016.

Wouldn't mind a HC who knows how to get a beastly grinding running game going. That sounds like a guy who values OL. Mariota also went from 38 sacks to 23 in Robiskie's first year as OC.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:54 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You weren't wrong at all.  The Palmer pick and the Lewis hire were good moves.

The injury to Palmer and the ensuing loss hurt this franchise a lot.  Marvin got us to the playoffs  - a lot.

He reminds me of Denny Green.  A good guy to rebuild something, but can't win the big one.

The thing that really sucks is that if we our current group (Tobin) we would have addressed the one or two spots we needed back in 2005--2009 to get us over the hump.

Well I have no regrets about drafting Palmer, but the fact that we could have had coughlin over Marvin (who won two Super Bowls with Eli freakin Manning) is quite a depressing thought. A fair assessment of Marvin though: he is like a poor mans Denny Green
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:17 AM)BMK Wrote: I truely believe that Marv will not be fired. He will announce his retirement towards the end of the season giving Brown ample time to consider replacements. I believe he's had enough ....when the cameras cut to him on the sideline  throughout the game last night, he just looked...well...defeated.

Well in fairness to Marv... He's had that look on his face for the better part of a decade now
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:59 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'd definitely want an outside hire. I have nothing against Guenther, but I feel like we'd just move Haslett or Coyle to DC, their assistant position coach would become the main position guy. Then the only new guy would be an assistant position coach. This team seems to be afraid of change.

The defense doesn't need to change much...   if guenther is getting outside consideration I think you have to give him consideration too...   An outside hire just for the sake of it isn't always best.      Maybe we can do with guenther what we should have with zimmer
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:23 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: The defense doesn't need to change much...   if guenther is getting outside consideration I think you have to give him consideration too...   An outside hire just for the sake of it isn't always best.      Maybe we can do with guenther what we should have with zimmer

What a shock. Outside change scares you.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:51 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not sure why people keep saying this.  The last time we hired a coach it was from outside.  If this team goes 6-10 or worse, there's no way they are promoting from within.  You only do that when you are replacing a winner.

A few months ago there were some stories on the team's main website discussing the issue. I don't remember exactly what was said but the articles talked a lot about Guenther and Urban as the favorites to take the job. Nothing about any outside hires. It didn't sound like speculation, it sounded like that was how the front office was thinking. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:24 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: What a shock. Outside change scares you.

No its just DUMB AS HELL to do something for the sake of it if it doesn't make you a better team.

IF its the right guy sure I'm all for it.   if its some unknown guy getting his first shot ill take a guy I already know.
Guenther is a good DC and a has been a good coach for the defense... Brian simmons has been great for us for a long time. I'd take either one over some guy that had a good year or 2 as a position coach elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:24 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: What a shock. Outside change scares you.

Hey, don't you remember what the 90s were like? Change is scary!

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:30 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hey, don't you remember what the 90s were like? Change is scary!

OMG! WE'LL JUST HIRE SHULA AGAIN!!!!

NO CHANGE EVER!!!!
Reply/Quote
The guy who should actually take over this team in house is Darrin Simmons. Remember Jon Harbaugh was a special teams coach before he was the Ravens head coach. People think that HC should be offensive or defensive minded guys but the reality when you think about it, they don't really get to focus on either they have to worry about the bigger pictures. Special teams coaches are guys that have to work with what they are given with and figure out how to make it work. By most reports Simmons is highly regarded around the league as one of the ebst special teams coaches in the league and frankly he has kept ours as one of the tops for years.

Promote Simmons and go out and find a good OC to come in.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If there was a DC brought in to be the next HC, I also like Matt Patricia. But Paul Guenther would probably get it if it's a DC being made HC.

I'd prefer an offensive mind that becomes next HC.
Jim Bob Cooter if an up-and-comer.
I'd be nervous about Todd Haley or Josh McDaniels given they weren't great HCs in their past. They seem to be better suited as OCs.

Seems to me there is this one guy up in New England that didn't do all that well in his last HC stop but has since gotten a handfull of rings. Just like players sometimes do, coaches don't always fit an organization and can benefit from a change in scenery as well
Reply/Quote
I'm expecting Paul Guenther. I'd be very surprised if they hired someone outside of the organization (I haven't even been humoring the possibility), and he seems the most qualified in-house choice on paper.

If not Guenther, I actually wouldn't mind James Urban or Darrin Simmons getting a crack at it. Or maybe Hue Jackson can come crawling back after Cleveland inevitably shit-cans him after this season.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:37 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Seems to me there is this one guy up in New England that didn't do all that well in his last HC stop but has since gotten a handfull of rings. Just like players sometimes do, coaches don't always fit an organization and can benefit from a change in scenery as well

That's fair to point out Belichick's lack of success with the Browns, but that's more the exception than the norm IMO. I don't see any coach doing well if the new scenery is the Bengals because of Mike Brown.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote