Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 HC Vacancies........
(11-24-2017, 02:12 PM)Benton Wrote: Pretty much my thoughts. I think we'll end up with 6 or 7 wins, Marvin will blame the slow start on assistants and players. Mike will shake his head and give him 'one more chance' and we'll end up with a very similar show next year. Because even if Marvin throws assistants under the bus and makes a change or two, it's going to take that staff a season to make any changes.

Unless Mike is just completely fed up with 'one more chance I don't expect a HC change because I don't think Mike wants to wait the 2-3 seasons it's likely to take to get back to where we were... so he clings onto the hope that Marvin can patch it up.

This only happens if Hue is fired and he comes back as OC. Then it’s probably marvin for two years then hue if all goes back to normal.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 01:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Browns win will put us at 5-6. 

We're likely to finish with a 7-9 record at least. 

I can't picture Mike firing a coach after a 7-9 season when 4-12 + 10 straight L's (in a season where we had SB aspirations) didn't get it done.

(11-24-2017, 02:12 PM)Benton Wrote: Pretty much my thoughts. I think we'll end up with 6 or 7 wins, Marvin will blame the slow start on assistants and players. Mike will shake his head and give him 'one more chance' and we'll end up with a very similar show next year. Because even if Marvin throws assistants under the bus and makes a change or two, it's going to take that staff a season to make any changes.

Unless Mike is just completely fed up with 'one more chance I don't expect a HC change because I don't think Mike wants to wait the 2-3 seasons it's likely to take to get back to where we were... so he clings onto the hope that Marvin can patch it up.

I disagree in the sense that I think Marvin's done. I just sense that he's done coaching and thus, he'll tell Mike to start searching for his replacement. I'm sure they'll agree to spin it in whatever way works best for the team (Mike intentionally not renewing Marvin's contract so that Mike can appear to want to win, for example), but either way, I think Marvin's done and Mike knows it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 02:15 PM)corpjet Wrote: If Marvin had another year on his contract I would bet the house he's staying.

Since he does not he's gone like a soldier in the civil war bang bang (Montgomery Gentry song for those not familiar)  Rock On

Not necessarily. While it's true that Mike won't fire a coach with years left on his deal, the "lame duck" status didn't stop Mike from bringing Merv back after we went 4-12 in 2010.

(11-24-2017, 03:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I disagree in the sense that I think Marvin's done. I just sense that he's done coaching and thus, he'll tell Mike to start searching for his replacement. I'm sure they'll agree to spin it in whatever way works best for the team (Mike intentionally not renewing Marvin's contract so that Mike can appear to want to win, for example), but either way, I think Marvin's done and Mike knows it.

Merv throwing players under the bus every week (Hill, Ross, Bullock) leads me to believe he's very much NOT done.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 01:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Browns win will put us at 5-6. 

We're likely to finish with a 7-9 record at least. 

I can't picture Mike firing a coach after a 7-9 season when 4-12 + 10 straight L's (in a season where we had SB aspirations) didn't get it done.

That was during the Offseason where he couldn't get a new HC and we got a new QB.

I don't like Marv or as you call him Merv which i don't get yet but it might of been the best decision at the time.

But man i sure wanted Zimmer back then to be the HC even if it took a few years.

He knows what he is doing brother, the Vikes are tough.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 03:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I disagree in the sense that I think Marvin's done. I just sense that he's done coaching and thus, he'll tell Mike to start searching for his replacement. I'm sure they'll agree to spin it in whatever way works best for the team (Mike intentionally not renewing Marvin's contract so that Mike can appear to want to win, for example), but either way, I think Marvin's done and Mike knows it.

Completely agree, Marv is well done, turn him over, he doesn't even have grill marks anymore....
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis is fired at the end of the season.
Bengals hire new head coach.
Marvin Lewis gets hired in Tampa.
Three years later, the Bengals fans are yelling for a new coach
Three years later, the Tampa Bay fans are celebrating a Super Bowl win.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 03:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That was during the Offseason where he couldn't get a new HC and we got a new QB.

I don't like Marv or as you call him Merv which i don't get yet but it might of been the best decision at the time.

8 teams replaced head coaches after the 2010 season:

Quote:The uncertain labor issues and the possibility of a lockout were speculated to have a minimizing effect on coaching changes prior to the 2011 season, with owners predicted to be more hesitant than usual to hire a high-price, high-profile head coach.[67] Nevertheless, eight coaches were fired either during or immediately after the 2010 NFL season, compared to three in the year prior; only one of the new hires (John Fox) had ever been a head coach in the NFL prior to their hirings or promotions. However, Leslie Frazier, and Jason Garrett did get some experience as interim coaches during the 2010 season, with Garrett being successful in his debut season, going 5–3 in his tenure, improving the 1–7 Cowboys to a 6–10 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_season#Coaching_changes
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 03:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not necessarily. While it's true that Mike won't fire a coach with years left on his deal, the "lame duck" status didn't stop Mike from bringing Merv back after we went 4-12 in 2010.

Merv throwing players under the bus every week (Hill, Ross, Bullock) leads me to believe he's very much NOT done.

I have this gut wrenching feeling we're gonna get basically a repeat of the 2010-11 off season. We'll end up 7-9 after beating a couple bottom half teams, Browns, Bears, throw in a meaningless win against Ravens to close, while losing to the 3 good team left, Steelers, Vikings, and Lions.

Mikey will call a presser where he spews out some drivel about maintaining continuity, we've done some good things, blah, blah, so Merv will be staying. PA will be back ! Oh they'll promote the water boy to OC, and fire some obscure assistant to the assistant defensive assistant. We'll lose a couple more good players. Gotta get those comp. picks that don't make the 53.

And we'll be singing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXt5NWY5Ay0&list=PLLFxufQM_PMvSRoYnREzI9st62q_PdhOb
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 09:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have this gut wrenching feeling we're gonna get basically a repeat of the 2010-11 off season. We'll end up 7-9 after beating a couple bottom half teams, Browns, Bears, throw in a meaningless win against Ravens to close, while losing to the 3 good team left, Steelers, Vikings, and Lions.

Mikey will call a presser where he spews out some drivel about maintaining continuity, we've done some good things, blah, blah, so Merv will be staying. PA will be back ! Oh they'll promote the water boy to OC, and fire some obscure assistant to the assistant defensive assistant. We'll lose a couple more good players. Gotta get those comp. picks that don't make the 53.

And we'll be singing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXt5NWY5Ay0&list=PLLFxufQM_PMvSRoYnREzI9st62q_PdhOb

It's definitely possible Merv gets canned. It's just one of those deals where I won't believe it til I see it...and I bring up 2010 because it's proof that "lame duck" doesn't necessarily mean anything. Mike is keeping his options open, and maybe a bad enough season gets him to make a move. But a 7-9 record (7-7 after canning Zampese) might be enough to compel Mike to give it another go.

It's not like the man has high standards.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 02:15 PM)corpjet Wrote: If Marvin had another year on his contract I would bet the house he's staying.

Since he does not he's gone like a soldier in the civil war bang bang (Montgomery Gentry song for those not familiar)  Rock On

Fair point, but this isn’t the first time Marvin hasn’t had tread in the tires. They can give him “one more year” at any point.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 02:39 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This only happens if Hue is fired and he comes back as OC. Then it’s probably marvin for two years then hue if all goes back to normal.

I don’t know if hue would, and I doubt he is.

I think Marvin and hue stick around next season and one gets fired after 4 games. His name rhymes with glue

(11-24-2017, 03:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: .

I disagree in the sense that I think Marvin's done. I just sense that he's done coaching and thus, he'll tell Mike to start searching for his replacement. I'm sure they'll agree to spin it in whatever way works best for the team (Mike intentionally not renewing Marvin's contract so that Mike can appear to want to win, for example), but either way, I think Marvin's done and Mike knows it.

I dunno. Is his son still on company dole? And he still make a few million for basically showing up and saying no one gets him?

He’s pretty well got a pretty rewarding job for virtually no effort. He can collect millions (and get his son paid) being on cruise control.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 09:25 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Marvin Lewis is fired at the end of the season.
Bengals hire new head coach.
Marvin Lewis gets hired in Tampa.
Three years later, the Bengals fans are yelling for a new coach
Three years later, the Tampa Bay fans are celebrating a Super Bowl win.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I think Marvin Lewis may just be the Dusty Baker of the NFL. He can show up and take a team that is in the dark ages and help shape it and start to show it the light, even get the team to the playoffs. However, that is the end of the road there. 

Dusty took the Cubs, Reds and even Nationals from the bottom to the playoffs but could never out manage other coaches when it mattered the most. 
Marvin came to a franchise that was a disaster and managed to salvage the team and show it the light, even got them to the playoffs and being respectable, but when it matters the most or there is good coaches on the other side, he crumbles.

Dusty always seems to struggle against that one major rival. No matter how good the Reds were, they were always the Cardinals little brother.
Marvin can not find a way to beat the steelers, no matter how much talent the team seems to have.

I could see Marvin leaving and even going to a team like Tampa, or Chicago or some other team in a year of two and doing the exact same thing. Getting them to the playoffs, but not being able to get a playoff win or pushing forward. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 11:08 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think Marvin Lewis may just be the Dusty Baker of the NFL. He can show up and take a team that is in the dark ages and help shape it and start to show it the light, even get the team to the playoffs. However, that is the end of the road there. 

Dusty took the Cubs, Reds and even Nationals from the bottom to the playoffs but could never out manage other coaches when it mattered the most. 
Marvin came to a franchise that was a disaster and managed to salvage the team and show it the light, even got them to the playoffs and being respectable, but when it matters the most or there is good coaches on the other side, he crumbles.

Dusty always seems to struggle against that one major rival. No matter how good the Reds were, they were always the Cardinals little brother.
Marvin can not find a way to beat the steelers, no matter how much talent the team seems to have.

I could see Marvin leaving and even going to a team like Tampa, or Chicago or some other team in a year of two and doing the exact same thing. Getting them to the playoffs, but not being able to get a playoff win or pushing forward. 

Nail meet hammer,

I don't hate Marvin, hell I like the guy ! I'm sure he's a great fellow. And I'll always respect him for helping the Bengals out of the abyss of the 90's early 00's. He along with Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer brought some respect back to Cincinnati and put us back on the NFL map.

But it's painfully obvious, hell it was years ago that he doesn't have "IT" to take the next step. And if the current core of this roster is to have any chance, as much of a chance as you can have under Mike Brown anyways, we need a drastic culture change, some new blood.

Marvin lost his last chance to take this team over the hump when the clock ticked to zero in the Pittsburgh game. Mike Brown just refuses to admit it, so far.
Reply/Quote
McAdoo gone as early as tomorrow................you knew that was coming when he started Geno Smith.............Im also calling that Eli ends up in Jacksonville next year......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Add Detroit to this list.......Jim Caldwell done after this year....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 12:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Agreed.   The Bengals and Giants will probably be the best jobs.   And Bengals probably have the lead because they have Tobin in place.

I remember 15 yrs ago Mike had to choose between Marvin or Tom Coughlin.  Tom eventually got 2 super bowls for the Giants. Marvin no playoff wins. Sad
Reply/Quote
Marvin doesn’t sound like a guy that thinks he’s done (coaching) here.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2017, 10:16 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Marvin doesn’t sound like a guy that thinks he’s done (coaching) here.

I agree...........the Lions win may have saved his job

a Balti win Sunday, on the road, w/ a playoff birth at stake and he is in great position to negotiate w/ son of Paul
Reply/Quote
Yes. If Marvin is retained, don’t look for him to move to the front office. He said himself, he wants to coach. Also, I don’t believe he would be a good fit here in an office capacity, given that he’s been the coach, I believe it would lead to conflict with a new coach.

I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if he returns. I’m not sure how I feel about that either. I’m ready for a fresh face, I think the team & city need that. But I also see why the ownership would want him back.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
After 2010, I thought nothing could surprise me with this team anymore. Marvin Lewis being re-signed for the 2018 season would fry my ***** mind. I don't know how they possibly keep him at this point. I genuinely don't.

Nevermind the shit show that was these last two seasons. Judging by the comments made by Green and other players after the Schefter report, there is absolutely no way Marvin hasn't completely lost the locker room by this point. They're being lied to, they're not being given the full story, or their coach doesn't have the decency to give them a heads up. No matter how you spin it, the player bridge is on fire.

Then there's the matter of game attendance. If there is one thing that Mike Brown actually gives a shit about in this whole mess, it's diminishing profits. If the hilariously empty stadium on Sunday is any indication, he's losing money. Apathy has set in, and fans aren't showing up anymore. If Mike Brown genuinely believes that re-signing Marvin Lewis will get fans back into Paul Brown Stadium, then he needs to be tested for dementia. Point blank. The fan bridge has been burned. Bringing Marvin back is just pissing on the ashes.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote