Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS Sports 7 round mock draft
Today, RL White of CBS sports came out with a 7 round mock draft and, man, I think it may be the worst draft I've ever seen for the Bengals all year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-21-trades-256-picks-and-draft-class-analysis-for-all-32-teams/

Quote:Cincinnati Bengals
ROUND OVERALL PLAYER NOTES
1 21 Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa from BUF
2 46 Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State
3 77 Fred Warner, LB, BYU
3 100 Jeff Holland, DE, Auburn Compensatory
4 112 John Kelly, RB, Tennessee
5 151 Marcell Ateman, WR, Oklahoma State
5 158 Kyzir White, SS, West Virginia from BUF
5 170 Matt Pryor, OT/G, TCU Compensatory
7 249 Mike McCray, LB, Michigan from NE
7 252 John Atkins, DT, Georgia Compensatory
7 253 Arrion Springs, CB, Oregon Compensatory
With Mike McGlinchey coming off the board early, the Bengals pivot to taking Josh Jackson, a ballhawk corner who'd be great value if he makes it out of the top 20. The Bengals have a track record of emphasizing corner in the draft, and Jackson could serve as Darqueze Dennard insurance if he leaves in free agency, or as a cheaper alternative to Dre Kirkpatrick down the line.

Considering the Bengals are loaded with 11 picks, they should be looking to move up when the opportunity presents itself on Day 2 and Day 3. But it just didn't happen in my mock, so they stayed put and made all their picks here, something I doubt happens on draft weekend. Jones immediately gives help to an offensive line that needs it. Warner could take over for Vontaze Burfict if the team decides to move on, and the team later adds more depth at the position in McCray. Holland brings depth to the defensive end rotation.

Kelly is a talented back who could be the long-term No. 2 behind Joe Mixon. Ateman adds depth at receiver and serves as an insurance plan for John Ross. White offers nice value in the fifth to come in and push Shawn Williams. Pryor brings more O-line depth and could start down the road. Atkins can compete for a roster spot on the D-line, while Springs is a dart throw at corner.

A CB in the first is terrible. Jones is a reach in the second. Warner and Holland are depth in the third. depth at RB and WR in the 4th and 5th. Throwaway depth at safety and G to finish the 5th round and then who cares about the 7th round.

I don't see a single impact player here. Especially not in the rookie year. And no Center or even guard that has the potential to start is just unforgivable.

Am I seeing this wrong? What was he thinking when he made this?
Reply/Quote
Like everyone else they are just guesses, some more informed that others but in the end it is a domino effect so event trying to guess is pointless. There are 20 chances in front of us in the 1st round alone that can cause a cascade of varying events that can make our pick at 21 something no one could have guessed.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 12:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Today, RL White of CBS sports came out with a 7 round mock draft and, man, I think it may be the worst draft I've ever seen for the Bengals all year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-21-trades-256-picks-and-draft-class-analysis-for-all-32-teams/

A CB in the first is terrible. Jones is a reach in the second. Warner and Holland are depth in the third. depth at RB and WR in the 4th and 5th. Throwaway depth at safety and G to finish the 5th round and then who cares about the 7th round.

I don't see a single impact player here. Especially not in the rookie year. And no Center or even guard that has the potential to start is just unforgivable.

I think it's fair to say that he's not a fan of the Bengals.  Ninja

Seriously, as a draft analyst, he's obviously did very little research on Bengals needs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I saw it and winced. Terrible. But I wouldn’t be shocked if they go cb in 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Josh Jackson would fit as the Bengals field corner (Kirkpatrick's Spot), but I wouldn't touch Jamarco Jones and no Center? CBS draft stuff has really went down hill.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 01:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Josh Jackson would fit as the Bengals field corner (Kirkpatrick's Spot), but I wouldn't touch Jamarco Jones and no Center? CBS draft stuff has really went down hill.

Same thing i thought, would be okay with Jackson in the first but no Center at all means no research.

I clicked on this cause i used to respect CBS some of the time.

This is terrible and definately the worst Mock i have seen. Sick
Reply/Quote
You can usually tell an analyst that does no research on the Bengals when you see statements like these:

1. or as a cheaper alternative to Dre Kirkpatrick down the line.

2. so they stayed put and made all their picks here, something I doubt happens on draft weekend.

We all know that the Bengals NEVER cut players early to save salary. It just doesn't happen and we all know that they RARELY give up picks in the draft even when they have 11 or 12.
Reply/Quote
Jesus not another corner.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 01:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Josh Jackson would fit as the Bengals field corner (Kirkpatrick's Spot), but I wouldn't touch Jamarco Jones and no Center? CBS draft stuff has really went down hill.

Jamarco Jones is going to be a very good player and could play T/G for us. He picked him a round earlier than I’ve been seeing him go, but if you’re saying you wouldn’t touch him then you haven’t watched him. Most underrated tackle in the class. Won’t be a hall of famer, but will be a very solid starter wherever he ends up
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 11:49 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Jamarco Jones is going to be a very good player and could play T/G for us. He picked him a round earlier than I’ve been seeing him go, but if you’re saying you wouldn’t touch him then you haven’t watched him. Most underrated tackle in the class. Won’t be a hall of famer, but will be a very solid starter wherever he ends up

Early on, Jones looked shaky this year.  As the season wore on, he settled down and played quite well.  As long as he hasn't reached his "physical ceiling", he could develop into a solid pro, as he seemed to still be learning the position this year.

Edit: Due to his horrible combine performance he, like Orlando Brown, will probably find themselves still available at the end of day 2 or beginning of day 3.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 12:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Today, RL White of CBS sports came out with a 7 round mock draft and, man, I think it may be the worst draft I've ever seen for the Bengals all year.

I'm gonna call this the "If a Steeler fan drew up a Bengals mock" mock.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I like Jamarco Warner and kyzir.

If it went this way i would be pissed though.

We better do some trading bc 11 picks are not making the team.
Reply/Quote
This draft would piss me off. It would be a buzzkill for the entire next year for me. I don't mind them taking a cornerback but they better grab one of the top 3 centers.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
imo,
there's a 90% chance the Bengals pick at 21 will be an O-line player.....
OG OT or OC.....
& their 2nd rd pick has a 80% chance of the same.....

i'm thinking OG in 1 & OC in rd 2....

or OC in 1 & an OT in rd #2....
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 11:49 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Jamarco Jones is going to be a very good player and could play T/G for us. He picked him a round earlier than I’ve been seeing him go, but if you’re saying you wouldn’t touch him then you haven’t watched him. Most underrated tackle in the class. Won’t be a hall of famer, but will be a very solid starter wherever he ends up

(04-21-2018, 12:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Early on, Jones looked shaky this year.  As the season wore on, he settled down and played quite well.  As long as he hasn't reached his "physical ceiling", he could develop into a solid pro, as he seemed to still be learning the position this year.

Edit:  Due to his horrible combine performance he, like Orlando Brown, will probably find themselves still available at the end of day 2 or beginning of day 3.

Jones just seems for a lack of a better word Awkward. He looked like he had good feet on tape but stuggled with balance. Jones also had no power to his game he would pull an Ogbuehi alot and caught defenders instead of using his length. 

Tackles I would take over him. Christian, Richardson, Okafor, Noteboom, Rankins, Brown, Parker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 04:02 PM)Synric Wrote: Jones just seems for a lack of a better word Awkward. He looked like he had good feet on tape but stuggled with balance. Jones also had no power to his game he would pull an Ogbuehi alot and caught defenders instead of using his length. 

Tackles I would take over him. Christian, Richardson, Okafor, Noteboom, Rankins, Brown, Parker.

You mean Okorafor i imagine.

Geron Christian and Noteboom are also growing on me. Maybe i just like the name Noteboom. Boom, take note. Mellow
Reply/Quote

I agree horrible draft.

Josh Jackson should not even be there. If he is then I am not mad at this pick.

He should have went center in 2nd then Jones in the 3rd.

From there I see zero value at any of his picks. He obviously has no clue what the Bengal need or who the talented draft picks are.

I would be pissed if we drafted that b.s. draft this year.
Reply/Quote
In this scenario, TJ Johnson is our starting center. I can't imagine not taking a center with any of our 11 picks.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote