Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Quarterbacks Wonderlic
I doubt the Bengals take one of the early QBs but this is interesting...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/wonderlic-test-scores-nfl-draft-lamar-jackson-baker-mayfield-josh-allen-rosen-2018/ybb46fv3x1ex1r4hj3l4j9gtb

Josh Allen: 37
Josh Rosen: 29
Sam Darnold: 28
Baker Mayfield: 25
Lamar Jackson: 13

Quote:In a column for Sports Illustrated, Edward Krupat, PhD, wrote, that the Wonderlic is "an outdated way of thinking about intelligence when it comes to predicting performance on the football field."

MORE: Optimum Scouting's latest 2018 NFL Mock Draft

An artcile on Medium did some research on quarterback scores and discovered, "There seems to be a sort of smartness threshold, where the best NFL quarterbacks need to be at least this smart to see success. But once a QB passes that threshold (around a score of 25), their additional smartness has little to no effect on success on the field."

Even Middlekauff, who released the 2018 scores, says, "everything matters when it comes to quarterbacks." This is part of why he released some of the scores.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
what the heck was Jackson doing? Saving 1-3% isn’t worth be illprepared plus his mom isn’t even returning calls from teams. She is supposed to be his manager.

This dude is from boynton and none of this surprises me in the slightest.
Reply/Quote
13 for Jackson is abysmal. Not a nail in his success coffin by any stretch but it certainly raises a red flag when talking the QB position.

Reply/Quote
It doesn't really say much of anything about how good or bad of a player they will be. Some absolute duds have had great scores, and some HOFers have bombed it completely.

http://wonderlictestsample.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Well you know what they say...the best QBs are always the ones who do the best on the Wonderlic.
Also, another fun fact: having a good Wonderlic doesn't make you more accurate throwing a football, Josh Allen.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 04:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It doesn't really say much of anything about how good or bad of a player they will be. Some absolute duds have had great scores, and some HOFers have bombed it completely.

http://wonderlictestsample.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

I only saw 3 QB’s with scores lower than Jackson. Vince Young, Jeff George and Neil O’Donell. Doesn’t really support any argument that this doesn’t reflect poorly on his chances of being a franchise caliber QB.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 04:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well you know what they say...the best QBs are always the ones who do the best on the Wonderlic.
Also, another fun fact: having a good Wonderlic doesn't make you more accurate throwing a football, Josh Allen.

Notable QBs that scored 20 or less on the Wonderlic

Deshawn Watson
Teddy Bridgewater
Michael Vick
Daunte Culpepper
Dan Marino
Randal Cunningham
Terry Bradshaw

(all of these scored from 13-20)  A ton of other QBs on the list in that range, I just chose guys that seemed noteworthy from their play.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 04:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Notable QBs that scored 20 or less on the Wonderlic

Deshawn Watson
Teddy Bridgewater
Michael Vick
Daunte Culpepper
Dan Marino
Randal Cunningham
Terry Bradshaw

(all of these scored from 13-20)  A ton of other QBs on the list in that range, I just chose guys that seemed noteworthy from their play.

I know. Thus the joke Wink
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 04:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I only saw 3 QB’s with scores lower than Jackson. Vince Young, Jeff George and Neil O’Donell. Doesn’t really support any argument that this doesn’t reflect poorly on his chances of being a franchise caliber QB.

Well, what the article in the OP suggests, is that a fair score for a competent QB is around 25.  I found a list that shows plenty of QBs that scored 20 or below, and still made good money in the NFL.  See my other post for the short list of truly noteworthy QBs that scored poorly.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I believe the Wonderlic works but as fans we don't get to see the actual test for these guys.

Have to ask why they have a low score. Is it because they got alot of wrong answers or is it because they couldn't process the information fast enough and timed out. The former wouldn't be as bad because they come to quick decisions even if they are wrong...the latter is bad.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 04:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I only saw 3 QB’s with scores lower than Jackson. Vince Young, Jeff George and Neil O’Donell. Doesn’t really support any argument that this doesn’t reflect poorly on his chances of being a franchise caliber QB.

Didn't akili smith score like a 3 or 5?
Reply/Quote
I feel bad for Jackson if he wasn’t prepped on how to take it, whether he could afford it or not. Half of the questions are simple as can be, but are staggered around in order. If you have someone that isn’t as good in math, simply tell them to answer the easy ones first then go back and answer what takes more time
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 05:04 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Didn't akili smith score like a 3 or 5?

I believe that Akili Smith scored a 9 on his first attempt and he took it several times and his score was raised to 37.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 07:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I believe that Akili Smith scored a 9 on his first attempt and he took it several times and his score was raised to 37.

Taking it several times sort of defeats the purpose of the test.  It's to show your cognitive abilities, as you are naturally.  If you practice, that's not your natural state.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 03:14 PM)Synric Wrote: I doubt the Bengals take one of the early QBs but this is interesting...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/wonderlic-test-scores-nfl-draft-lamar-jackson-baker-mayfield-josh-allen-rosen-2018/ybb46fv3x1ex1r4hj3l4j9gtb

Josh Allen: 37
Josh Rosen: 29
Sam Darnold: 28
Baker Mayfield: 25
Lamar Jackson: 13

Josh Allen.  He will be the best of these guys.  Might not be right away but it will happen.  He has the arm, the wheels, the will to succeed and, lo and behold, a giant brain too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 04:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well you know what they say...the best QBs are always the ones who do the best on the Wonderlic.

Actually, it kinda does.  It means he has the intelligence to process coaching and improve.  And he has already improved.  Footwork is crucial to high accuracy and he looks better at it every time he throws--Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Day. 

18/30 is 60%.  17/30 is 56.6%.  One more completion makes you a 60% passer.  One.

He will make enough holy shit throws that his team will gladly live with one or two misses a game.  Bank on it.

BTW, Dan Marino--59.4%.  John Elway--56.9%.   Terry Bradshaw--51.9%.  Roger Staubach--57%.  Those scatter armed QB's did okay.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2018, 08:54 PM)McC Wrote: Actually, it kinda does.  It means he has the intelligence to process coaching and improve.  And he has already improved.  Footwork is crucial to high accuracy and he looks better at it every time he throws--Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Day. 

18/30 is 60%.  17/30 is 56.6%.  One more completion makes you a 60% passer.  One.

He will make enough holy shit throws that his team will gladly live with one or two misses a game.  Bank on it.

BTW, Dan Marino--59.4%.  John Elway--56.9%.   Terry Bradshaw--51.9%.  Roger Staubach--57%.  Those scatter armed QB's did okay.

Interesting, because Marino and Bradshaw both scored quite poorly on the wonderlic.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2018, 09:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Interesting, because Marino and Bradshaw both scored quite poorly on the wonderlic.

I like Marino.  But I never thought of him as Einstein-ish.  And Bradshaw--'nuff said.

If you take Bradshaw off the dynasty team, would his name ever get mentioned? Their D was good enough that he could miss a lot of throws but hit couple big ones and still win.

Marino, his greatness would have been the same no matter who he played for.

Reply/Quote
I remember when it was said that Bradshaw had the brains of a fence post which was probably true. I can't think of anything he's ever said or done since leaving football that would qualify as even remotely intelligent... of course Pissburg fans think he's a genius.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2018, 08:54 PM)McC Wrote: Actually, it kinda does.  It means he has the intelligence to process coaching and improve.  And he has already improved.  Footwork is crucial to high accuracy and he looks better at it every time he throws--Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Day. 

You're referring to QBs that haven't played in the NFL since at least 1999. The game has changed a lot since then in favor of offense. I feel that at least Marino and Elway would be above 60% completion percentage in today's NFL.

And maybe Allen does make enough "holy sh*t" throws that a team will live with his lower completion percentage. That's fine, but I hope it's not the Bengals. I don't like passers like that. Too frustrating.

Here's an article I just found that provides some backing for my claim that I don't trust Josh Allen to become a good NFL QB...
Quote:My research of highly drafted quarterbacks since 1996 found that two college statistics adequately predict future NFL performance: games started and completion percentage. In fact, where a quarterback is selected in the draft has virtually no bearing on his NFL success. Games started and completion percentage are far better than the scouts at determining how good a player will be.

Over the past 12 years (article written in 2008), teams have repeatedly drafted players who haven't shown the ability to consistently complete passes at the college level, and these players have consistently failed. For some reason, scouts expected players such as Kyle Boller (48 percent), Jim Druckenmiller (54 percent) and Ryan Leaf (54 percent) to suddenly figure out how to complete passes once they hit the NFL. Having a high completion percentage (60 percent or higher) is no guarantee of success, especially if it was done in a small number of games in a fluky system (Tim Couch being a strong example), but it is a prerequisite for it.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3350135
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote