Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Re-Draft Challenge (Bengals)

Every Year there is a post regarding a 20/20 hindsight re-draft.  The rules are simple:  If you could re-do the Bengals draft with the knowledge of the 2018 draft outcome, what changes, if any, would you make.  Please do not add any trades.  Keep picks at their natural slot.  Good luck!  The Winner of the re-draft will be judged by Forum Members and receive an awesome photo of my cat Joker and praises.  

21) Price, OC: The man-child would remain my pick because of intangibles and leadership

46) Bates, FS: Center fielder is what the Bengals needed to help corners over the top

77) Harrison Phillips, DT: A beast with good hands, next to all-pro Atkins

100) Brown, OT: A mammoth of a man that would help in the running game

112) Shaquem Griffen, OLB: Speed at SAM backer

151) Cruikshank, CB/safety: Good for zone coverage

158) Settle, DT: Bengals version of Vince Wilfork

170) Darius Williams, CB: Keep the speedster kick returner

249) Ferguson, QB: Josh Allen lite.  I liked this QB better.  

252) Taylor, OG: Move this big man to interior line.

253) Tate, WR: I was thinking Lazard here but Tate appears to have more potential
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:26 PM)psychdoctor Wrote:

Every Year there is a post regarding a 20/20 hindsight re-draft.  The rules are simple:  If you could re-do the Bengals draft with the knowledge of the 2018 draft outcome, what changes, if any, would you make.  Please do not add any trades.  Keep picks at their natural slot.  Good luck!  The Winner of the re-draft will be judged by Forum Members and receive an awesome photo of my cat Joker and praises.  

21) Price, OC: The man-child would remain my pick because of intangibles and leadership

46) Bates, FS: Center fielder is what the Bengals needed to help corners over the top

77) Harrison Phillips, DT: A beast with good hands, next to all-pro Atkins

100) Brown, OT: A mammoth of a man that would help in the running game

112) Shaquem Griffen, OLB: Speed at SAM backer

151) Cruikshank, CB/safety: Good for zone coverage

158) Settle, DT: Bengals version of Vince Wilfork

170) Darius Williams, CB: Keep the speedster kick returner

249) Ferguson, QB: Josh Allen lite.  I liked this QB better.  

252) Taylor, OG: Move this big man to interior line.

253) Tate, WR: I was thinking Lazard here but Tate appears to have more potential

21) Price
54) Justin Reid, FS Stanford - I liked Reid more than Bates.
77) Mark Andrews, TE Oklahoma - Prep for when Eifert, Kroft, and/or Uzomah leave in FA next year.
78) Jefferson
112) Maurice Hurst, DT Michigan - I would have taken the gamble on Hurst here.
151) Tyrell Crosby, OT/OG Oregon - Road grader on the right side to challenge Fisher/Westerman
158) Duke Ejiofor, DE Wake Forest - Wouldn't have thought Ejiofor would have fallen this far. Good strong-side DE depth.
170) Phillips
249) Woodside
252) Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
253) Eddy Pineiro, K Florida
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think Mo Hurst would be an interesting but risky choice. I really like that kicker. I almost picked that defensive end as well
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 05:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 21) Price
54) Justin Reid, FS Stanford - I liked Reid more than Bates.
77) Mark Andrews, TE Oklahoma - Prep for when Eifert, Kroft, and/or Uzomah leave in FA next year.
78) Jefferson
112) Maurice Hurst, DT Michigan - I would have taken the gamble on Hurst here.
151) Tyrell Crosby, OT/OG Oregon - Road grader on the right side to challenge Fisher/Westerman
158) Duke Ejiofor, DE Wake Forest - Wouldn't have thought Ejiofor would have fallen this far. Good strong-side DE depth.
170) Phillips
249) Woodside
252) Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
253) Eddy Pineiro, K Florida

I'm with you on a TE and am trying to convince myself that none of this year's crop were even equal to what we currently have - at least in the eyes of our draft team. Makes next years off-season interesting. And I guess it was too soon after last year's kicker fiasco to think about that again. There are moves to be made yet before September. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
21) JAMES DANIELS

53) MASON RUDOLPH

77) MALIK JEFFERSON

78) RONNIE HARRISON

112) WILL RICHARDSON

151) TIM SETTLE

158) ANDREW BROWN

170 DARIUS PHILLIPS

249) ALLEN LAZARD

252) PHILLIP LINSAY

253) TONY ADAMS
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
21) Billy Price, OC
46) Justin Reid FS
77) Harrison Phillips DT
78) Orlando Brown OT
112) Shaquem Griffen, OLB

151) Devontae Harris CB
158) Andrew Brown DT 
170) Jack Cichy  ILB
249) Logan Woodside QB
252) Rod Taylor OG
253) Audin Tate WR
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 09:00 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I'm with you on a TE and am trying to convince myself that none of this year's crop were even equal to what we currently have - at least in the eyes of our draft team. Makes next years off-season interesting. And I guess it was too soon after last year's kicker fiasco to think about that again. There are moves to be made yet before September. 

Mark Andrews and Dallas Goedert would have been nice choices but I think Kroft is starting to come around and Uzi is decent.  Remember, the Bengals drafted a 6th rounder TE last year but I do not know if he is still on team.  I do think if Eifert gets hurt again this year, they should draft a TE fairly high next year.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Let me start by saying I think we had to take Billy Price at 21 after Ragnow went off the board (unless they liked Daniels more but they didn't) but for the sake of making this interesting I will start out with a different pick which will actually make these whole draft probably look worse since it would mean we didn't come away with a top Center.

21 - Isaiah Wynn - Maybe this guy could end up at Center for the Bengals and if he couldn't play that position I would have no problem playing him Day 1 at Right Guard and if not for who I plan on selecting later then I would even say potentially at Right Tackle. The guy is versatile and was one of my favorite lineman in the draft. The only other guy besides Price or Wynn that I would have been fine with is Rashaan Evans at Linebacker at Tobin even said they had him ranked 2nd behind Smith on the BBP this week....but the third ranked guy was Jefferson for them so I would say getting a guy similarly ranked 57 spots later is certainly considered good value.

54 - Justin Reid - I would have honestly stayed at 46 and just taken Connor Williams because he was my BPA at that point but since I took Wynn in this scenario and the Bengals really did trade down then I will stick with pick 54. With all that said I go with Reid over Bates because I think he is a slightly better player. Had Mike Brown not met with Eric Reid and that went badly (reported by Lap) then I think it would have been Reid over Bates. I like both guys though and this is all for fun.

77 - Orlando Brown - I mocked this selection non-stop and saw the Marv connection as one thing but really thought we needed to upgrade Right Tackle. Terrible combine but at the end of the day his play at Oklahoma should say something and he was a really really good player. I think the guy will start right away for the Ravens and we will look back and regret taking Hubbard (even though it was good value) instead of shoring up the line. The scariest part about the RT situation to me is that Lapham constantly talks about Bobby Hart like he will all of a sudden be a great Right Tackle in the league because he is young. So is Ogbuehi and they both suck.

78 - Malik Jefferson - I could have taken Rashaan Evans in the 1st round in this re-do but I really like the upside of Jefferson and him being pick #78 instead of pick #21 was good value. I hope they allow him a chance to play and develop instead of burying him on the bench in his first year behind players that are less talented.

112 - Josh Sweat - I don't dislike the Mark Walton selection here but I think Josh Sweat is a really dynamic pass rusher. I know the knees were a concern but give me his pass rushing ability over Hubbard's all around game and let me add Orlando Brown as a Starter instead of a 3rd string RB.

151 - Andrew Brown - Just moving this guy up a spot because who I would take next, I love his potential and think playing at his natural position as a 3 technique in a 4-3 instead of playing End in a 3-4 is going to make a huge difference. Similar to Lawson was last year, I could see this guy as the steal of the draft based on where he was drafted (Jefferson is a close second and my favorite overall pick).

158 - Jamarco Jones - At this point with no Center drafted then I am giving opportunities to Wynn and Westerman to earn that starting spot and going ahead and drafted another Offensive Lineman that I think will play early in his Career. Jones played mostly Left Tackle at Ohio State but I think he could play a variety of spots and he was PFF's number 3 overall Offensive Tackle. The value is too good to pass up and I like him even as a backup Left Tackle over Ogbuehi at the least in his first season if they don't find a spot elsewhere to compete right away.

170 - Luke Falk - I am very intrigued with Phillips as a returner and his potential as a Corner with his ball skills but I couldn't have passed up on a guy that would be my #2 QB from day one this late.

249 - Ryan Izzo - Tight End prospect late as a gamble

252- Holton Hill - Went undrafted but one of the most talented CB's in the draft...low risk/high reward

253 - Auden Tate - Keep it the same, the guy has potential but may need developed, no risk at this point.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Does anyone think that Justin Reid dropped in the draft because of his brother or do you think it was because of his skill set?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 05:33 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Does anyone think that Justin Reid dropped in the draft because of his brother or do you think it was because of his skill set?

I think because of his brother and that isn’t right at but at the end of the day that is just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 07:13 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I think because of his brother and that isn’t right at  but Arnold the end of the day that is just my opinion.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 09:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Lmao...literally why I hate typing from my phone (damn autocorrect) even though I don't know how that one even happens...
Reply/Quote
Well as the Draft unfolded, I would've gone with.
1 G/C Isiah Wynn
2 S Bates III <-- I can live with this since he's a ball hawker.
3 C Martinas Rankin (should be an excellent C in the NFL).
3 OT Orlando Brown (I really like Malik Jefferson, but out of these two, I think Brown helps now instead of later).
4 LB Shaquem Griffith (mocked fav)
5 CB DaVontae Harris (another mocked fav)
5 Edge Ogbonnia Okoronkwo middle of DL is solid as is, we need pressure
5 CB Darius Phillips (another mocked fav).
7 QB Logan Woodside (another mocked fav)
7 DT Du'Vanta Lumpkin, boom or bust player, teach him hand technique and let him mature on the bench for a year.
7 WR Auden Tate (another mocked fav)

There were still many other UDFA's I would've like to have had the rights to.
Reply/Quote
21. Rashaan Evans, LB Alabama
54. Justin Reed, S Stanford
77. Martinas Rankins, C Miss St.
78. Orlando Brown, T Oklahoma
112. Maurice Hurst, DT Michigan
151. Troy Fumagali, TE Wisconsin
158. Jamarco Jones, OT OSU
170. Darius Phillips, CB Western Michigan
249. Quinten Meeks, CB Stanford
252. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
253. Simmie Cobbs, WR Indiana
Reply/Quote
I'm hearing that if Mo Hurst Plays football again that he could die.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
The only center you guys would have drafted in a redraft was Martinas Rankins? A guy who never played the position? Oh boy.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 11:10 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The only center you guys would have drafted in a redraft was Martinas Rankins?  A guy who never played the position?  Oh boy.

I read the Rankins status really dropped after combine.  I don't know why.   
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 10:11 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I'm hearing that if Mo Hurst Plays football again that he could die.

Source? I find it odd if so given he was cleared back in late March.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/22872429/draft-prospect-maurice-hurst-cleared-play
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 12:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Source? I find it odd if so given he was cleared back in late March.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/22872429/draft-prospect-maurice-hurst-cleared-play

It was an un-named source who is an AFC scout (wanted to remain anonymous).  There are conflicts in view here.  The Michigan doctors who cleared Mo Hurst and the Medical doctors with  NFL do not agree on the risk to his health.   But from this source they said Mo could die.  The reason most teams took Mo off their board is they want him not to play football.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 11:10 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The only center you guys would have drafted in a redraft was Martinas Rankins?  A guy who never played the position?  Oh boy.

What team do you coach or who are you hired by? I haven't heard of you working out all of the players that teams he tried out for saying his best position would be C. How did he look at his pro day? Oh wait....... my bad. Computer coach to the rescue.  Yawn
Reply/Quote