Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Reds Season Thread
(09-24-2018, 12:17 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Where did you find that at? Of all the games I watched he play, he batted leadoff in about half of them. I swear I thought it was more, but you're probably right 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/31042/billy-hamilton

At the bottom:
Batting #1 122 AB, 19 R, 25 H, 9 RBI, 9 BB, 33 SO, .205/.258/.328/.586
Batting #9 361 AB, 51 R, 88 H, 20 RB, 34 BB, 92 SO, .244/.307/.321/.628

Then he had 7 AB spread out through batting #5, #6 and #8 (probably as a pinch hitter or defensive/injury replacement)

He is truly a shit hitter.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 02:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/31042/billy-hamilton

At the bottom:

Then he had 7 AB spread out through batting #5, #6 and #8 (probably as a pinch hitter or defensive/injury replacement)

I'm very concerned with his SB's this year...his bread and butter. He's been a lousy hitter since he's been in the bigs. Wish he would of had more time in the minors to work on his hitting
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:08 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I'm very concerned with his SB's this year...his bread and butter. He's been a lousy hitter since he's been in the bigs. Wish he would of had more time in the minors to work on his hitting

Right now there are 149 players in the NL with at least 250 plate appearances.  Hamilton ranks 

126th in batting average
131st in on base percentage
146th in slugging percentage
144th in OPS (slg + ob)

The most frustrating thing about Hamilton is that back in 2016 he looked like he was developing into a solid offensive player. He hit .260 with 58 steals in just 411 at bats.  His OBS was 50 points higher in 2016 than this year, and if he was stealing bases at the same rate he would have over 70 this year instead of just 32.

His defense is amazing. It saves us a lot of runs. I loved to keep him if he could hit .260 and steal 70 bases. But his defense does not justify starting a guy who is 144 of 149 in OPS and only stealing 32 bases.
Reply/Quote
The Reds are so unbelievably bad. It's really hard to watch this honestly. I hope there's some major house cleaning going on very soon. They must of stranded 10 runners with bases loaded twice....with no runs to a worse baseball team. I would hate to see the attendance numbers next year.
Reply/Quote
Has this season met it's merciful end yet?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 02:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/31042/billy-hamilton

At the bottom:

There are so many things BH could do to get on base and he does none of them and I just don't get it.

He is 2nd on the team with 128 strikeouts, he's dang near a slugger's strike out rate. He only has 44 walks ! If he would quit being such a free swinger and calm down and take some pitches his OBP would go way up.

He's a poor bunter, why doesn't he work hard at bunting ? Again he could raise his OBP way up if he was even an average bunter.

Why doesn't he try stopping the switch hitting and just bat left where he's better ? And it's faster to 1st base.

Why does he keep swinging out of his shoes ? Why doesn't he try being a slap hitter/punch n judy as they used to call it ?

I just don't get it ? I'm on the fence about him as his defense is other worldly. Damn if he could only get on base more !
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 10:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There are so many things BH could do to get on base and he does none of them and I just don't get it.

He is 2nd on the team with 128 strikeouts, he's dang near a slugger's strike out rate. He only has 44 walks ! If he would quit being such a free swinger and calm down and take some pitches his OBP would go way up.

He's a poor bunter, why doesn't he work hard at bunting ? Again he could raise his OBP way up if he was even an average bunter.

Why doesn't he try stopping the switch hitting and just bat left where he's better ? And it's faster to 1st base.

Why does he keep swinging out of his shoes ? Why doesn't he try being a slap hitter/punch n judy as they used to call it ?

I just don't get it ? I'm on the fence about him as his defense is other worldly. Damn if he could only get on base more !

His "eye" for the ball is clearly terrible. That's the only explanation to most of these answers IMO. The switch hitting thing was asked by the FO if I remember correctly, which doesn't make a lick of sense still. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 09:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Has this season met it's merciful end yet?

They have mentally checked out for sure. Most are beat down from playing to much, but these boys are ready for the off-season. And I am honestly having a hard time seeing how it gets any better next year. Dark days.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 11:25 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: His "eye" for the ball is clearly terrible. That's the only explanation to most of these answers IMO. The switch hitting thing was asked by the FO if I remember correctly, which doesn't make a lick of sense still. 

Seriously, have they had his vision checked ? Glasses or contacts may help even if it's only a little.

(09-26-2018, 11:29 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They have mentally checked out for sure. Most are beat down from playing to much, but these boys are ready for the off-season. And I am honestly having a hard time seeing how it gets any better next year. Dark days.

I know I keep  Bang Head about this but they have to go get a 20 game winner and 15 game winner with ERA's in the 2.5 - 3.5 area if we're to have any chance next season.

It makes zero sense to keep the position player lineup in tact and keep running Bailey and four other #4 and #5 starters out there.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 11:50 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Seriously, have they had his vision checked ? Glasses or contacts may help even if it's only a little.

I know I keep  Bang Head about this but they have to go get a 20 game winner and 15 game winner with ERA's in the 2.5 - 3.5 area if we're to have any chance next season.

It makes zero sense to keep the position player lineup in tact and keep running Bailey and four other #4 and #5 starters out there.

They don't have anywhere near the payroll to afford that tho. That's why this "rebuild" has stalled so badly. We have to develop starting pitching with options available. They simply cannot pay length and term to a Clayton Kershaw type pitcher... Well maybe one, but we still have that with Homer. 
Reply/Quote
I guess it's never too late to mementally check out on the Reds for the season decade. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Well, one more game for the Reds in 2018. I will miss watching them on Fox Sports Ohio. Hopeful for a much better 2019. Lets see what happens in the off season.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Another rebuilding year in the can. Silver linings, Price is gone, team talking about cutting Bailey and eating his salary, team committed to increasing payroll next season in pursuit of a #1 starter.
Reply/Quote
Thank God it's over. Another long last place season not worth watching. I get every Reds game on TV for free extra as part of my TV package, but I never watch them the last few years. The Reds are as bad as the Bengals were in 1990's and early 2000's before Marvin Lewis came in. That period between Paul Brown dying and Marvin Lewis. So the Reds need to hire a manager with power in making player moves. Reds need somebody that knows what he is doing, because Reds are clueless. I don't care what Reds announcers or fans or owners say. Riggleman did nothing to earn the job. This team is going nowhere without changes. This team needs an enema.

The Reds need to be hiring a new Manger ASAP. Get him in here so he can be part of choosing Free Agents. Putting a real team together in the off season. Some high priced Reds may have to go so they can afford the starting pitching, relief pitching, defense, lead off hitters, RBI hitters, base stealers needed to get out of being around last place the last 4 or 5 seasons.

The Cubs and Astros were just awful and they got out of last. It can be done. It starts with hiring a manager that knows what the heck he is doing and giving him power. The Cubs and Astros made huge changes to get where they are. Reds are in dire need of Huge Changes. Most of Reds payroll goes to Votto and Bailey and Reds remain in last place every year. A good manger probably starts right there on getting team out of last place.

It's over, another awful season not worth watching. Give us a team worth watching. People need fired from the top down. Maybe it's time for Castallini to sell the team. Nothing on Reds is working. They have put money into the ball park, statues, hall of fame, but it's time to put money into a winning team. The Reds sux. For a lot of years now the Reds are at rock bottom. The Reds are not that good one minor league players coming up either. The need to hire a good Manager ASAP to change the entire concept of Reds Baseball, because it just ain't working.

I'll add that Reds for years have that Toyota or Honda truck they talk about in every Reds broadcast. That if a batter hits bulls eye, some fan wins it. They haven't given away one truck in all the years they've did that. It is more of the TV stupid of Reds TV. That is more of the hillbilly corn that goes into this team. If they were smart they would have it in a way a truck gets given away a couple times each year to promote Reds and Toyota advertising. Just more of the hillbilly nonsense that goes into last place Reds.

The good news is Bengals are back. Bengals and NFL are a million times better than awful Reds. Reds need a new Manager to blow the whole thing up and start over. Hey, the Bengals fired a lot of people and they finished around .500 ball, but felt they could do better. The Reds haven't been near . 500 ball since Dusty Baker.

I'll add a negative on Reds Caravan to promote Reds. They send out Marty, Jim Day, Castallini, Reds players. I've gone to this a few times. I went this year at Dayton Air Force Museum. I've said hello to Marty, Hal McCoy or Jim Day at these and they just act so smug to fans. How can they be smug ? This team Sux. They were so smug and boring at Air Force Museum, I had to walk away. Instead I went on Air Force One of President Kennedy assassination Dallas, 1963 and hit Old Hickory Ribs near by so Reds Caravan wouldn't be such a wasted day. I'll tell you who had best personality at these and Reds camera day and things with kids over the decades was Barry Larkin. He was always great with the kids and fans and really enjoys baseball and isn't as smug and big headed. Maybe go ahead and make Barry manager and give him power to change whole concept of this last place franchise.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think we pick 7th in the draft. Not that this player is going to provide immediate help. As bad as we were, it's hard to believe 6 teams were worse. Such is the have's and have nots of baseball.
Reply/Quote
Thank goodness it's over.
Reply/Quote