Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Reds Season Thread
I called an 0-6 start when I saw the schedule.  Come on boys, don't let me down. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Two straight innings where we had runners in scoring position (bases loaded and 2b+3b) and get zero runs.

This team is anti-clutch.
Reply/Quote
Holy Shit, Reds Win! 1-0

(how'd they manage to get one?)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 08:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Holy Shit, Reds Win! 1-0

(how'd they manage to get one?)

If you’re not going to win a lot, then at least make em count.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Reds got their first win yesterday against the Cubs. Maybe the season will turn.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Reds 73 wins this season over/under ?

I'll say over - 75
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 06:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Reds 73 wins this season over/under ?

I'll say over - 75

I’m going with 159.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Not much has changed. Every time I turn on Fox Ohio the Reds are losing. Since I'm not going to sit there and watch them lose, I change the channel. Right now Pittsburg beating them 12 to 2 or something like that. Why in the heck would I watch that. I haven't watched the Reds much in about 4 or 5 years when they were good. They have just been awful for years now, and this season starting about the same. This is NOT the Pirates team of the last few years, they cut payroll and are rebuilding. That they are are so far sweeping the Reds is a bad sign. I still stand by my earlier post that Price so far has been maybe the worst manager in the Reds 3 centuries of baseball. Price may be one of the few managers that could take the Washington Nationals and guide them to last place with his strange manager moves. I still say his rotation in the outfield is amazingly stupid considering Reds with Duvall, Schebler, Hamilton should be playing them on an every day basis. You want Hamilton leading off for his 50 or more stolen bases. You want Duvall and Schebler with Votto for their Tony Perez like 70 RBI's each these batters will give you. Gennett is a Joe Morgan type perfect to be in the 2 spot. Home runs are not bad at 2 as Morgan showed, but Gennett is no Babe Ruth. He will not be with the leaders in home runs ever. What he does is give you hits, some power, some base stealing, good defense. He is a Morgan, Phillips type. When in doubt, do as Sparky Anderson. As with Bench, Perez, Foster, you go with Votto, Duvall, Schebler for 210 or more RBI's from those 3. Hamilton and Gennett make good fast table setters before them, it's not rocket science. Suarez makes a good 6th to add some power for 6 hole. SS and C bringing up the rear which is OK, those positions demand defense first as many good teams in baseball have proven.

I like Castallini and for what he has done to GABP, he is the greatest owner ever. What he has done with Reds Hall Of Fame he is greatest owner ever. He was doing pretty good winning games with Walt and Dusty. The moves by the GM the last few years and by Price are just horrible and no wonder team stinks. They seem to have one basic plan. If a player is doing good, bench him, send him to the minors or trade him. I'll point to Reds paying Phillips salary all last season to play for Braves not Reds as just stupid. Would you pay a worker to work for another company ? Castallini is a nice guy, a great guy to take that generic,bland,vanilla park and turn it into one of the best parks in baseball. He may be nice to a fault though as he hangs on to both a GM and a Manager that are taking advantage of his kindness. They both need flushed down the toilet of his heart, the sooner the better at this awful point.

I would love to see Reds bring in ex Red David Ross. Catchers often make good managers and why not. The Joe Torre guys have years of knowing pitching and hitting and defense plus going to the mound. This gives them solid experience for management as many catchers have proven. Ross on the miracle of Cubs winning a World Series would bring some knowledge of Madden Baseball, probably the best manager in the game today for what he did taking awful Rays and Cubs and making them these losers into great teams. As Sparky did with awful Reds and Tigers. If not Ross, maybe Larkin. Price has to go and the GM now also. Castallini deserves better, Reds fans deserve better.

If Reds lose this series to Pirates, it's not good. I can see Washington beating their brains in, but not Pittsburg in rebuilding mode. Many teams will clobber Pittsburg before this season over, so Reds are really bad. I'm not going to waste my time watching them in last place and hearing what the old Cowboy is going to eat after the game. That is NOT the Reds baseball I grew up with. If this team clinches last place again in April, what is the point in this team. I refuse to watch the Reds coming out floundering in last place as last 3 or 4 years. They are part of my TV package, but just about anything on TV is better. Every time I turn Reds on, they are losing. I never turn them on and they are winning. They have ran out of Pete Rose events. No, this team better start winning, you can only get by so long on ancient history. I didn't like the Reds in last with the Ken Griffey Jr smoke stack numbers thing. I do not like the Reds in last hearing how great Votto is. Last place teams stink. If the Reds could just climb to 3rd place, I could watch them, not the last place slugs they have went back into. Pitching is just awful again. That is suppose to be what Price majors in. Price stunk at Seattle and he stinks here. Reds are just wasting years and time in not firing him. I have seen new managers turn teams around over night, why not at least try. Here is where Castallini, a great guy, is nice to a fault. I think a Dan Ross could come in here and bring what this sorry team is lacking. I'm not going to watch them in last place, and I haven't the last few years. They are just awful. I can't even imagine going 70 miles there and 70 miles back to see these bums in person. At least at home, I can just change the channel. I can see the new fans or people that don't care if they win going. I can see people in Cincy or Covington going, not up here in Springfield area, they lose too much.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Price has proven himself alright. He could make the 77 Reds into a dead last place club. I don't think I'd go to a Reds game if I lived in the stadium behind home plate. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 02:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: Price has proven himself alright. He could make the 77 Reds into a dead last place club. I don't think I'd go to a Reds game if I lived in the stadium behind home plate. 

The fact that Garrett isn’t in the starting rotation is proof enough that Price doesn’t have a clue. He was our best pitcher coming out of spring training last season until the Reds started jerking him around and then the injury. He was the best pitcher in spring training this year again, showing last year wasn’t a fluke and he’s been the most impressive pitcher, starter or reliever, through the first week+ of the season.
Reply/Quote
And at the end of the 1st it's 2-0 Pirates lol
Reply/Quote
4-0 after two innings, this season is just comical thus far !
Reply/Quote
Bryan Price win % as manager - .426

Bruce Coslet win % as head coach - .376

Price has something to aim for.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see both Price and Dick Williams relieved of their duties. Price should be gone yesterday due to his shit handling of the pitching, which was supposed to be his strong-suit. He's moved the needle very little for the young staff, and his handling of Garrett IMO is unacceptable. That dude should be starting.

Little Dicky is the bigger problem IMO. I think having a son of a major ownership stakeholder running the team vs an actual baseball person is a joke and a scam on the fans of this team. That guy isn't in there b/c this team is trying to win. He's in there because daddy wants him to slash payroll and make money. That's at the heart of every move he's made so far. They can have as many bobblehead days and new bars at the stadium as they want, but that place is about to be empty very soon.

Rebuilds are sometimes needed for teams like the Reds, but this one has been going on for almost 4 years and they only continue to get worse. Changes are needed soon if the powers that be really intend to do anything other than slash payroll, cry poor and count their money.
Reply/Quote
So 2-11 now? Nice job all around by ownership and management.

Reply/Quote
Worst start to a season since 1955 Sick

http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=380412117

Bright side is, I guess there’s nowhere to go but up?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 04:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Worst start to a season since 1955 Sick

http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=380412117

Bright side is, I guess there’s nowhere to go but up?

I hope they crash and burn all season.  It would make it tough not to can Little Dicky if that happened.  I imagine it's going to be a tall order to get a GM fired when he was hired based on his relation to ownership vs his baseball knowledge.  
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 04:49 PM)samhain Wrote: I hope they crash and burn all season.  It would make it tough not to can Little Dicky if that happened.  I imagine it's going to be a tall order to get a GM fired when he was hired based on his relation to ownership vs his baseball knowledge.  

Gee sounds familiar....
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Well , at least we pretty much know that the Bengals are no longer  worse than the Reds and no October games will be cancelled because they conflict with the Reds schedule. And  Mike Brown is no longer the worst team owner in all of professional sports. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 10:00 PM)grampahol Wrote: Well , at least we pretty much know that the Bengals are no longer  worse than the Reds and no October games will be cancelled because they conflict with the Reds schedule. And  Mike Brown is no longer the worst team owner in all of professional sports. 

One at bat away from 2-12.

Reply/Quote