Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Reds Season Thread
Can the Reds at least trade Votto he deserves better than this.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 11:15 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Can the Reds at least trade Votto he deserves better than this.

Votto I'm pretty sure has a no trade clause so he has to want to go, to go. So here's where it gets a little tricky. Votto is 34 years old and getting into the tail end of his career so he's not to high on any other teams radar.

I don't pretend to know all about MLB contracts but I'd guess another team isn't going to be willing to pay Votto what the Reds are so the Reds would have to pick up the slack in $$.

I hope Votto gets out for his sake ! Goes somewhere and gets a chance for success because he has basically none here in the fairly small amount of time he has left.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Price fired

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/baseball/reds/cincinnati-reds-fire-bryan-price

I don't really like this as it feels like the ultimate case of scapegoating. He doesn't really control the fact that his star hitter is batting .258, and his other 7 regular starts are batting .238, .234, .175, .274, .277, .059 (granted, Blandino is only playing because Suarez is injured) and .172...

That said, it'll be interesting to see if a new manager will actually put Amir Garrett in the starting rotation, where he belongs, and may actually ***** call up Nick Senzel. I guess they're going to wait for the Super 2 deadline, but that may not be until June, if not later.

I think the mismanagement of the bullpen (signing and then designating Gallardo, calling up Rainey, playing him in tight situation, sending him back down, which required the Reds to make a roster spot for Floro by designating Hernandez. Then, because he was going to get claimed (I mean, have you seen that curveball?) they decided to get in front of the problem and just traded him for peanuts. Don't get me wrong, I understand Hernandez has a super low ceiling and has major control problems, but I just know that he's gonna go to LA, learn to throw strikes and become a really good reliever and we're just gonna be bummed about it.

It's been a saga with Price. He obviously felt like he had no time, which led to him making rash decisions. And he ended up being right, cuz he's gone now.

We'll see if a slew of interim managers can do anything with the remainder of this season.
Reply/Quote
I don't think firing Price really changes anything, but I don't see how you don't fire him. You have to give the optics of doing something.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 10:04 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Price fired

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/baseball/reds/cincinnati-reds-fire-bryan-price

A mercy killing.  I agree with you that Price had very little to work with.  Perhaps they should look at replacing the GM?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 10:08 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think firing Price really changes anything, but I don't see how you don't fire him.  You have to give the optics of doing something.

Agreed,

Short term I doubt it changes anything ? But this team badly need a new direction, some life and energy. They've just been out there going thru the motions with their tails tucked between their legs.

Hopefully this will breath some new life into it ?
Reply/Quote
3-16 Cry

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 11:15 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Can the Reds at least trade Votto he deserves better than this.

I'm not a fan of trading your best players just for them to have a chance at winning a championship. Votto seems to want to be in Cincinnati so there is no "He deserves a better .. whatever.." 
There's only one team I want to see win and its the one team Joey Votto happens to play on. Trade him to another team that may or may not win ? I've never thought in terms of players going elsewhere for their sake . I think in terms of our team's sake and nothing more.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 10:31 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agreed,

Short term I doubt it changes anything ? But this team badly need a new direction, some life and energy. They've just been out there going thru the motions with their tails tucked between their legs.

Hopefully this will breath some new life into it ?

It's not going to ,but nice sentiment . Unfortunately teams don't win on sentiment. They win on talent and a few lucky breaks here and there. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I was talking to a guy who is a well-respected pitching instructor and know a bit about the Reds organization. He told me there is no single pitching philosophy throughout their minor league teams. Which means as you move from team to team you may be coached differently. If it’s true, that’s a disaster. The most important aspect of pitching is consistency of your motion, and that takes a long time to become second nature.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 10:08 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think firing Price really changes anything, but I don't see how you don't fire him. You have to give the optics of doing something.

Agree. There needs to be corresponding moves like a change to the rotation or bring up a top prospect. Some sort of trade, hopefully to bring in a legit #1 starter, would be nice, but probably too soon for that.
Reply/Quote
3-18. I didn’t think that was possible.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 06:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: 3-18. I didn’t think that was possible.

I held no Illusions that this team was gonna be fighting for the pennant, but I really never dreamed they would be this bad.

They're not just bad they're historically awful !
Reply/Quote
This lineup needs an enema.
Reply/Quote
This team is sleep walking through the season.
Reply/Quote
So it only took until April 25th for the Reds to win back to back. I believe this is a four game series, so they haven't locked in their first series win yet.

Reply/Quote
I don't care who takes his place, but Duvall needs to be permanently benched.

That guy is trash.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2018, 08:04 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't care who takes his place, but Duvall needs to be permanently benched.

That guy is trash.

Yea. Why they didn't move him last year is confusing to me. You have his potential replacement with Winker in the system. And the guy is not apart of our core group that will win next
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2018, 08:48 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So it only took until April 25th for the Reds to win back to back.  I believe this is a four game series, so they haven't locked in their first series win yet.

Thom said the Reds won the 1 game series with the Cubs earlier this month. That is no joke. But, it is laughable.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 01:51 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Thom said the Reds won the 1 game series with the Cubs earlier this month. That is no joke. But, it is laughable.

Not only won it, but swept it! Hilarious

Reply/Quote