Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Reds Season Thread
At the time, I posted on the Reds board to retain Cueto for the long haul and dump Bailey. People said we'll see how it results. Well, now we know. Bailey had arm trouble soon after the contract was signed if I recall. The Reds got hosed. And still are being hosed on other contracts like Mez.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 01:36 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: At the time, I posted on the Reds board to retain Cueto for the long haul and dump Bailey. People said we'll see how it results. Well, now we know. Bailey had arm trouble soon after the contract was signed if I recall. The Reds got hosed. And still are being hosed on other contracts like Mez.

Do you mean when they signed Bailey or when they traded Cueto?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 01:54 AM)grampahol Wrote: 8-1 loss, 2 total hits for the Reds.
I'm officially over Bailey.. I really can't wait till his contract expires. After this season they'll still owe him 48 MILLION bucks.. 2 more years left.. I could be worth at least $50,000 a year and pitch as good..and I probably couldn't reach home plate with my arm anymore.
You know..Reds fans could all chip in to pay off his contract, but I just don't envision 48 people chipping in a million bucks each..or 48 million people chipping in a buck each..  worst contract ever.. 

Bailey is an Aircraft Carrier Anchor attached to this 12 foot john boat of a franchise !

I the four+ seasons since the no hitter years of 12/13 he's gave us exactly 18 wins including 1 so far this season. His WAR hovers around -0.1 and each win has cost the Reds about 3.3 million dollars. He's slated to make 21 million this season. And 23 and 25 million over the next two.

At best he's a number 4 or 5 pitcher and he's making bank for throwing two no hitters in fairly short order. He's single handedly set this franchise back years !
Reply/Quote
Better off just forgetting Bailey, eat the 48M and just offer to send him to Billings or nothing..  Geeeez.. 

On the bright side Garret said BOO and the Cubs freaked out.. Lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 05:50 PM)grampahol Wrote: Better off just forgetting Bailey, eat the 48M and just offer to send him to Billings or nothing..  Geeeez.. 

On the bright side Garret said BOO and the Cubs freaked out.. Lol

Yup !

There;s no sense in continuing the Bailey experiment. This team has to start making moves and quit waiting to see what happens. 
Reply/Quote
Well, at least one player is living the impossible dream with the Reds. Scooter is getting to club grand slams for the team he grew up rooting for. What would be absolute icing would be if the entire team caught fire and went on to win it all with Scooter knocking them out in game 7 in the bottom of the 9th. Hell, the entire city would be obligated to build a statue of him on Fountain Square. LOL Every citizen of the city would have to chip in to pay him a gazillion bucks a season.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Dare I mention we won 5-4 today? Suarez hit a GS.. 

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 06:31 PM)grampahol Wrote: Dare I mention we won 5-4 today? Suarez hit a GS.. 

Suarez is one of the few bright spots on this team. I hope they hang on to him in the sellout that's coming.
Reply/Quote
Another 5 for 5 for Scooter and Hughes gets out of a bases loaded no outs ninth..  Yeah, I know they're gonna lose more than they win, but games like this still make the game fun.. 

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 12:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Suarez is one of the few bright spots on this team. I hope they hang on to him in the sellout that's coming.

I dunno.. Not sure what the point of a sell off is at this point. They really only need starting pitching now. Sell off the guys hitting well and you're right back where you started.. 

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2018, 10:37 AM)grampahol Wrote: I dunno.. Not sure what the point of a sell off is at this point. They really only need starting pitching now. Sell off the guys hitting well and you're right back where you started.. 

Agreed. The only sell off should be guys on their last year of their contract/team control.
Reply/Quote
The only possibility is to trade a few players at the deadline. I hope some team wants Homer Bailey.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Alright.

If Homer makes another start for this team, I will completely lose faith in this team for the duration of their current administration.

You just CANNOT send his ass back out there again. He is complete and utter trash.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 08:59 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Alright.

If Homer makes another start for this team, I will completely lose faith in this team for the duration of their current administration.

You just CANNOT send his ass back out there again. He is complete and utter trash.

I heard em talking couple nights ago after a game that the rumor mill has it Descalfani is going to be joining the team soon like end of this week and they're going to send Ramano down to AAA and put Bailey in bullpen ?

They better, Bailey just doesn't have it as a starter anymore !
Reply/Quote
The Reds might have overpaid a bit for Bailey when they gave him that big contract, but at the time he was good for 200 innings and an ERA in the mid three's. Those type of pitchers are are pretty valuable. But he has completely lost whatever he had.

I bash a lot of people for exaggeration, but Homer Bailey is probably the worst starting pitcher in the majors. He currently leads the national league in runs allowed and home runs allowed. Over the last 4 years he is 9-20 with a 6.49 ERA. He has not had an ERA under 6 since 2015. This is not just a slump. He is finished.
Reply/Quote
https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/is-homer-bailey-headed-to-reds-bullpen/c-278865030
Reply/Quote
OK,  I'm officially hoping Jose Siri pans out as a great player for the club .. Our birthdays both fall on July twenty two-th..  Other than that I kind of doubt he'll overcome his thumb injury just because I hope he does ..  July 22nd ..a date that will live in infamy .. 

Reply/Quote
Wtf does Garrett have to do to get the starting rotation? Pitch badly? Romano has a 10.72 era over his last 5 starts and they are still talking about putting Bailey back in the rotation when he comes back from DL. Not to mention, Harvey has been just as bad here as he was in NY. Meanwhile, Garrett sitting on a 2.34 era and 40 strikeouts in 34 innings.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 04:42 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Wtf does Garrett have to do to get the starting rotation? Pitch badly? Romano has a 10.72 era over his last 5 starts and they are still talking about putting Bailey back in the rotation when he comes back from DL. Not to mention, Harvey has been just as bad here as he was in NY. Meanwhile, Garrett sitting on a 2.34 era and 40 strikeouts in 34 innings.

Garrett sucked last year when he was a starter.  Maybe he just doesn't have the stuff to go more than a couple of innings at a time.

Harvey has not been near as bad here (4.44 ERA) as he was in NY (7.00 ERA), but no other starter except Mahle has an ERA under 5.60.  So you think they would try ANYONE who had any sort of a chance of being a decent starter.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 05:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Garrett sucked last year when he was a starter.  Maybe he just doesn't have the stuff to go more than a couple of innings at a time.

Harvey has not been near as bad here (4.44 ERA) as he was in NY (7.00 ERA), but no other starter except Mahle has an ERA under 5.60.  So you think they would try ANYONE who had any sort of a chance of being a decent starter.

Both the team and Garrett point to his struggles last year being related to his hip injury and altered mechanics after “recovering”. I’m taking their word for it, that both issues are gone this year, so having a bad season (after the first month when he was dominant) shouldn’t be a reason for him not starting this year.
Reply/Quote