Poll: Would you trade down to pick up extra picks this year or next?
Absolutely
Nope, you're an idiot
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Trade Down scenarios
In last year's draft, two teams traded up to try and get the QB they wanted in the earlyish part of the first round.

The Bills traded their first-round (No. 10) pick to the Chiefs for a first-round (No. 27) pick, a third-round (No. 91) pick and a 2018 first-round pick.

The Browns traded their first-round (No. 12) pick to the Texans for their first-round (No. 25) and a 2018 first-round pick.

I figure the Bengals will be in a spot like this in the upcoming draft and someone may try and come up to get a Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield. The question is, would you take either of these trades if they were offered to us?
Reply/Quote
I voted "absolutely", because "well, maybe" wasn't an option.

The reason that I say, "well, maybe", is I think it is conditional on weather a player that the Bengals would truly like to have is available when they pick. If the one, or ones that they have their eye on are gone, sure why not?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 10:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I voted "absolutely", because "well, maybe" wasn't an option.

The reason that I say, "well, maybe", is I think it is conditional on weather a player that the Bengals would truly like to have is available when they pick.  If the one, or ones that they have their eye on are gone, sure why not?

You're right, I probably should've added that in there. In this scenario I'm assuming that the top targets are off the board.
Reply/Quote
Generally speaking, trading down is almost always preferable when you have a top 10 pick.

Wouldn't want to draft a player in the top 10 and then never play them ever, after all...That would be a nightmare...
Reply/Quote
I look at it this way:

1) If a new coach comes in and wants to roll with Dalton, trade down if possible.
2) if a new coach comes in and wants to draft Dalton's replacement, stay put. One of the big 3 (Rosen, Mayfield, Allen) will fall to us.

The QB situation determines what we do, basically.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 10:14 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I look at it this way:

1) If a new coach comes in and wants to roll with Dalton, trade down if possible.
2) if a new coach comes in and wants to draft Dalton's replacement, stay put.  One of the big 3 (Rosen, Mayfield, Allen) will fall to us.

The HC situation determines what we do, basically.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't want to trade down too far. If we can move down a few spots and get an extra pick that would be fine.
Reply/Quote
What do you think we can get for Dalton?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 10:31 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: In last year's draft, two teams traded up to try and get the QB they wanted in the earlyish part of the first round.

The Bills traded their first-round (No. 10) pick to the Chiefs for a first-round (No. 27) pick, a third-round (No. 91) pick and a 2018 first-round pick.

The Browns traded their first-round (No. 12) pick to the Texans for their first-round (No. 25) and a 2018 first-round pick.

I figure the Bengals will be in a spot like this in the upcoming draft and someone may try and come up to get a Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield. The question is, would you take either of these trades if they were offered to us?

No.  I think I'd probably rather just take the guy they're trying to trade up to get.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think it depends on a lot of factors. I’d trade down if the top Oline guy is gone or we don’t need a QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 11:37 AM)Interceptor Wrote: What do you think we can get for Dalton?

1st RD Pick at the least.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 06:03 PM)Takedown Wrote: 1st RD Pick at the least.

See that's the rub isn't it?

If you think he's a franchise QB capable of winning a championship he's worth a at least a 1st round pick. If you think he's not then we'll he's worth a 6th rounder kinda like Matt Schaub.

It's funny when people say how bad he is then turn around and say trade him for a first round pick lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 06:25 PM)Synric Wrote: See that's the rub isn't it?

If you think he's a franchise QB capable of winning a championship he's worth a at least a 1st round pick. If you think he's not then we'll he's worth a 6th rounder kinda like Matt Schaub.

It's funny when people say how bad he is then turn around and say trade him for a first round pick lol.
Tell that to Oakland who gave up a 1st and 2nd round pick for a declining Carson Palmer. Maybe Cleveland would trade similar for Andy.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:25 PM)Takedown Wrote: Tell that to Oakland who gave up a 1st and 2nd round pick for a declining Carson Palmer. Maybe Cleveland would trade similar for Andy.

Have to disagree about Carson Palmer declining. He went on to have a few really great seasons with Arizona but injuries have ruined the end of his career. Even then the Bengals wanted Carson to stay he just didn't want too...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Have to disagree about Carson Palmer declining. He went on to have a few really great seasons with Arizona but injuries have ruined the end of his career. Even then the Bengals wanted Carson to stay he just didn't want too...

He had the talent around him to succeed. It was the coaching that held the team back. Predictable play, especially on 3rd downs. And when Rudi Jonson was here, you never see a play where he was supposed to go outside the tackles. Very poor gameplanning by the coaching staff. Kitna was doing well in the 1st half, throwing dinks and dunks, taking what the defense gave him. 

And then you can guess what happened in the 2nd half.... 

They kept going for the low-percentage long-ball (without any play-action, mind you) instead of controlling the clock. A shitload of 3-and-outs. They stopped going with what was working for them. 

And it's been this way ever since.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 10:31 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: In last year's draft, two teams traded up to try and get the QB they wanted in the earlyish part of the first round.

Considering that Cleveland passed on Watson and are now winless with one game left in the season I'd have to say that Cleveland made the wrong decision.

The Bengals stayed pat last year and turned down trade offers and got 1 touch complete with a fumble from its prized #9 pick. Clearly a mistaken pick and trading down would have made more sense.

Whatever the Bengals do they need to draft more wisely than last year's desperation pick.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Have to disagree about Carson Palmer declining. He went on to have a few really great seasons with Arizona but injuries have ruined the end of his career. Even then the Bengals wanted Carson to stay he just didn't want too...

Same could be said with Andy too. In the right system, Andy can be a great QB. Thus meaning both are/were worth at least a 1st RD pick. Teams seen Palmer's potential and teams aren't going to forget Dalton's. Wasn't that long ago when Andy was having a close to MVP like season. Some on here were discussing it pre-injury and then everyone jumped on the AJM train once this team started rolling downhill after the playoff loss to the Steelers. You're right on your perspective of Palmer pre-trade, but you can't say the same about Andy? I personally don't think Andy will bring a championship to Cincinnati, but somewhere else he may be able to with the right coach and supporting cast. He could do that here, but I think his time is about up. He's a lot quieter than Carson, I don't see him threatening to retire if we don't trade him. He'll just live out his remaining contract until he can look elsewhere.

Look at it this way... Cleveland was going to give up a 2nd and a 3rd RD Pick for our backup QB. You don't think that at least Cleveland would give up AT LEAST a 1st for a Pro-Bowl QB?
Reply/Quote