Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Draft 1st rd revisit
Somebody likely made this point ready somewhere, but I don't recall seeing it....and this board pretty dang slow these days so....

Recall how we all had Devin Bush targeted for our pick...only to have the Stealers trade up just before our pick and take him?

Well, Bush ended up being a turd who regresses every year. So they merely saved us from ourselves. But not only that, if we had taken him we likely would not have drafted Germaine Pratt in the third Rd. A player who only keeps getting better and IMHO has turned into clutch and stud LB...that Pit will have to face for another 3 years.

Just a satisfying tidbit for my fellow Stealer haters...
Reply/Quote
18 future Pro-Bowlers selected after the Bengals picked Jonah Williams.

Bengals made a solid pick at the time and yes I do remember Bush being a target for many.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2023, 09:51 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: Somebody likely made this point ready somewhere, but I don't recall seeing it....and this board pretty dang slow these days so....

Recall how we all had Devin Bush targeted for our pick...only to have the Stealers trade up just before our pick and take him?

Well, Bush ended up being a turd who regresses every year. So they merely saved us from ourselves.  But not only that,   if we had taken him we likely would not have drafted Germaine Pratt in the third Rd.  A player who only keeps getting better and IMHO has turned into clutch and stud LB...that Pit will have to face for another 3 years.

I remember getting blasted repeatedly in the draft forum for having a 2nd round grade on Bush.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2023, 10:24 PM)QueenCity Wrote: 18 future Pro-Bowlers selected after the Bengals picked Jonah Williams.

Bengals made a solid pick at the time and yes I do remember Bush being a target for many.

Did not love Jonah pick for LT, hoping he finds success at RT and resigns for stability's sake.
Reply/Quote
Isn't funny how the times change?

Imagine taking a linebacker with a top 15 pick these days. It'd be such a wasted pick. There were FOUR taken in the top 15 in 2019.

Bengals took a premium position and got arguably the best player at that position in the draft that year at that time. If ANY of you had or still have a problem with that pick then man, not sure what to tell you...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2023, 10:24 PM)QueenCity Wrote: 18 future Pro-Bowlers selected after the Bengals picked Jonah Williams.

Actually 19 future pro-bowlers ... But there are several we wouldn't have realistically considered at the time due to position/fit issues (K Matt Gay, P Jake Bailey, RBs Jacobs, Sanders, Pollard); and others I wouldn't take over Jonah today even with the benefit of hindsight (WRs Hardman, Johnson, McLaurin, Renfrow, TE Knox).  And WRs Samuel, Brown and Metcalf were never considered first round guys, nor was Maxx Crosby.  That's 14/19.  And Lindstrom and Jenkins were interior OL, which we never take early.  So it's not as bad as it sounds -- we arguably got the best OT in a weak OT class.

I really wanted a DT that year, but probably would've gone Wilkins over PB'ers Lawrence and Simmons, lol ...

Sample was the pick that really hurt us that year -- could've had Brown or Metcalf but traded back to take an an unknown "blocking" TE.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 12:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bengals took a premium position and got arguably the best player at that position in the draft that year at that time. 

Agree 100%.  Absolutely no problem with the Williams pick, even in hindsight.
Reply/Quote
Bengals needed a LT, and they took arguably the best (or at least safest) LT prospect in that draft.
Jonah was a technician, and was pretty much pro-ready from a talent standpoint.

I liked the pick at the time, and think it wasn't a reach even still. Jonah just hasn't gotten to a Pro Bowl level, but what LT has from that draft?
Tytus Howard and Jawaan Taylor have been playing well recently, but both have been playing RT up to this point. Elgton Jenkins has been playing all over the OL and played well, but his best seasons were playing LG.

I think though the Bengals probably could have done better if not having to factor in need at all.
Yea, the Bengals had Cordy Glenn, but it was pretty known he wasn't in their future plans and was just there as a stopgap given his age at that point.

Had the Bengals gone another position, I wanted Devin White, TJ Hockenson, or Ed Oliver. All of them went in the Top 10.
Looking in retrospective though, had the Bengals had either had a better plan for LT going into that draft, Brian Burns or Jeffery Simmons would have been great as heirs to Dunlap/Atkins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2023, 09:51 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: Somebody likely made this point ready somewhere, but I don't recall seeing it....and this board pretty dang slow these days so....

Well, Bush ended up being a turd who regresses every year. So they merely saved us from ourselves.  But not only that,   if we had taken him we likely would not have drafted Germaine Pratt in the third Rd.  A player who only keeps getting better and IMHO has turned into clutch and stud LB...that Pit will have to face for another 3 years.

Yes sir. I had Devin White followed By Germaine as my top 2 Linebackers in that Draft. Thought Bush was way overrated.

(07-05-2023, 11:42 AM)Whatever Wrote: I remember getting blasted repeatedly in the draft forum for having a 2nd round grade on Bush.  

Same.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 02:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals needed a LT, and they took arguably the best (or at least safest) LT prospect in that draft.
Jonah was a technician, and was pretty much pro-ready from a talent standpoint.

I liked the pick at the time, and think it wasn't a reach even still. Jonah just hasn't gotten to a Pro Bowl level, but what LT has from that draft?
Tytus Howard and Jawaan Taylor have been playing well recently, but both have been playing RT up to this point. Elgton Jenkins has been playing all over the OL and played well, but his best seasons were playing LG.

I think though the Bengals probably could have done better if not having to factor in need at all.
Yea, the Bengals had Cordy Glenn, but it was pretty known he wasn't in their future plans and was just there as a stopgap given his age at that point.

Had the Bengals gone another position, I wanted Devin White, TJ Hockenson, or Ed Oliver. All of them went in the Top 10.
Looking in retrospective though, had the Bengals had either had a better plan for LT going into that draft, Brian Burns or Jeffery Simmons would have been great as heirs to Dunlap/Atkins.

Yea that entire OL draft was bad... Christian Wilkins went just a couple picks after Jonah I would probably take him over Lawrence and Burns. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Loved the Williams pick when it happened and still not mad at it. I remember hoping Josh Allen (UK) would fall, but that was wishful thinking.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The Steelers trading up, ahead of the Bengals to draft a 215lb linebacker was hilarious, the Bengals were never going to take him! They don’t use first round picks on linebackers. The Steelers juiced him to 245lbs and wonder why he is always hurt.
Reply/Quote
We shoula drafted Johnny Football..we'd all be snorting cocaine to forget about it..  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It was tge Sample selection that hurt the most. Williams made perfect sense
Reply/Quote
It turns out it was a lackluster draft, but it yielded 2 starters... So it was pretty standard. The 2020 and 2021 draft spoiled our perception.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Sample and Finley were picks I think most of us knew were bad at the time.
Reply/Quote
Brian Burns at 11 was the pick.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Brian Burns at 11 was the pick.

I think the Giants and Raiders really threw us for a loop with their first round picks that year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Sample and Finley were picks I think most of us knew were bad at the time.

Yes and they were headscratchers at the time and still to this day for a team that has drafted pretty damn good otherwise lately.

Still have to like Finley for beating those stealers and Sample is still on the team, but they were what they were, reaches at the very least.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Brian Burns at 11 was the pick.

I get hindsight is 20/20, but we had Carlos Dunlap, Sam Hubbard, and Carl Lawson at DE; yet, we had nothing at OT.  Jonah Williams was the highest-rated OT in the draft, So why was Burns the pick?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote