Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Draft Grade Bengals
2009 was the draft that has defined the Bengals' draft philosophy for a decade (in my opinion). We took Rey Maualuga and Michael Johnson, two big-name players that fell for one reason or another. It paid off, both became starters and produced at a high level quickly. In the following drafts, we would take the likes of Dunlap, Brandon Ghee, Dontay Moch, Robert Sands, Devon Still, Brandon Thompson, Marvin Jones, Shawn Willians, Shaun Porter, Will Clarke, AJ McCarron, Paul Dawson, Josh Shaw... the list goes on. All these guys were some of the bigger names, often from big schools, who slipped down the board on the day. Many of us at the time were stoked to see these names drop to the Bengals. As you can see some paid off, more less so.

For the first time in a while this draft feels like a slight change in mindset. While I think Tobin still holds the reigns, the fingerprints of Taylor are evident. The Sample pick is something the FO would not have done during the last decade of Lewis. The Finley and two RB picks late also feel like a new approach. It's slightly less pure BPA and a bit more of a focus on improving an area of the team.

I never like snap grades, but, we all do it anyway. I don't think this can be higher than a B- just because I think LB is such a weakness and needed a premier talent to fill Burficts shoes. I am not suggesting that the Williams pick was bad, I really like it, nor do I think giving up picks to move and ensure one of the Devin's was secured would have been right either. It's unfortunate that this class was particularly poor for top end LB quality.

Overall this feels like a B-. It was one of the deepest defensive drafts in a while and we went totally and different route, gearing up to rejuvinate the offence and pound the rock. I don't hate that tactic, Taylor was brought in as an offensive mind, that said, I personally would have preferred to see FO ship more of the back-end picks and make more 3rd round defensive moves.

Reply/Quote
I'm going to go with either a B, B-, C, or C+ because that's what I read on some football websites and they are always right.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:59 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I'm going to go with either a B, B-, C, or C+ because that's what I read on some football websites and they are always right.

LOL
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:55 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: For the first time in a while this draft feels like a slight change in mindset. While I think Tobin still holds the reigns, the fingerprints of Taylor are evident. 

And we needed a change in mindset. Some of the fans need it too. They are upset when they don't recognize the name player, but good drafts often uncover unexpected values.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: And we needed a change in mindset. Some of the fans need it too. They are upset when they don't recognize the name player, but good drafts often uncover unexpected values.

I agree, we saw a different mindset

Also, they went away from the glamour positions of WR and CB, RB not until very late and a mid round QB. It felt more like early goal was fix the trenches on offense first and then fill LB need and add a DT trench guy

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I am going to say, I think it was a very solid draft. I like the idea of getting guys that are going to do their job to the best of their ability. I get fans want the shiney new toy. The Bengals are laying a foundation with this draft and did a great job of it.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: And we needed a change in mindset. Some of the fans need it too. They are upset when they don't recognize the name player, but good drafts often uncover unexpected values.

I agree. The Sample pick encapsulates that. 

We are all guilty of looking at mocks ad nauseum to bridge the gap. The result is an artificial valuation on some of these guys. Most people writing these mocks are armchair fans no different to us. 

Tight ends are always rated by "draft experts" for their receiving skills. Yet, what is the one thing that can kill a TEs career quicker than anything else...inability to block (Chase Coffman anyone?!)

Initially, I thought the Sample pick was underwhelming, but when PFF have someone as by far and away the best in a category, I listen. Highest rated blocker according to their metrics, and clearly not a terrible athlete. I think he could end up being a very savvy pick.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:11 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: I agree. The Sample pick encapsulates that. 

We are all guilty of looking at mocks ad nauseum to bridge the gap. The result is an artificial valuation on some of these guys. Most people writing these mocks are armchair fans no different to us. 

Tight ends are always rated by "draft experts" for their receiving skills. Yet, what is the one thing that can kill a TEs career quicker than anything else...inability to block (Chase Coffman anyone?!)

Initially, I thought the Sample pick was underwhelming, but when PFF have someone as by far and away the best in a category, I listen. Highest rated blocker according to their metrics, and clearly not a terrible athlete. I think he could end up being a very savvy pick.

Great post, Sample could be a great pro cause he can block.

Fant on the other hand might not cause he hasn't shown this ability yet.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I give them a B-.

I loved the first pick.

I hope I grow to love the 2nd pick TE, but I do like it

I like the LB in the 3rd

I was not a Findley fan so even though value, I see him as a career back up

I like and not love the OG or DL

The rest was kind of meh to me

I hope I am dead wrong and it is an A

What is your grade?

Frankly, I cannot give this draft a grade, even a grade only based on value.

The first pick was solid for obvious reasons. If the team had planned on drafting a OT with the 1st pick I do kind of wonder why they gave Hart a 3 year deal. Or maybe after working with Hart in person the last couple of weeks they see they needed to make a move.

The second pick doesn't make any sense at all unless the team feels Sample really does have excellent receiver talent that his college team ignored. On the surface it looks like another Mike Brown special of using a high pick on a project. In his best season (2018) he had a whopping 252 yards receiving. But that is more than our 2017 #9 overall pick (also from Washington) has had his whole NFL career. LOL

Third round pick appears to be good value at LB and I expect he'll probably start soon enough or, at the very least, see quite a bit of playing time on a weak LB unit.

Finley was a good pick. I thought he looked good in the senior bowl, better than Lock IMO. If you listen to any of the rumors, NE was hoping to take Finley. If the season goes south and there's a 3-4 INT blowout loss there will be calls give Finley a shot.  Ninja

Wren is depth at DT. Billings is heading into the final year of his rookie deal.

Jordan is guard depth.

No opinion on the rest of them.

There's nothing in this draft that says Super Bowl bound. Hopefully these guys, plus an existing team that stays healthy will translate into a playoff run.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:11 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Initially, I thought the Sample pick was underwhelming, but when PFF have someone as by far and away the best in a category, I listen. Highest rated blocker according to their metrics, and clearly not a terrible athlete. I think he could end up being a very savvy pick.

Also, all I have heard is that he does catch the ball very well, but was under-utilized at Washington. He may very well blossom into a great all around TE if the ball is thrown his way more. Remember Uzomah came out of Auburn as a blocking TE and has developed into a nice pass catcher.
Reply/Quote
I give them a B, it isn't a sexy draft but we filled some needs.
Reply/Quote
He's Walter Football's grades for the draft, they are a little behind and do not have our 7th round graded as of this posting.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:11 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: I agree. The Sample pick encapsulates that. 

You nailed it. I said it another thread, shiny toys fade. We added to our offense a new dimension not possible for Uzomah or Eifert, a great in line blocking TE who can change an offense.

I also was like who is Sample when announced, then did homework and felt a lot better.

Reply/Quote
I'm not into grading the draft or even getting too worked up for good or bad until I see them in camp/pre-season and can actually see what we've got.

Looking at the positions and scouting reports though, I think they did fine. They took multiple swings at filling the most glaring holes on both sides of the ball (OL/LB), grabbed a much needed TE that can block (where he was picked is potentially another matter), the DT is the most intriguing pick to me as from reading scouting reports he sounds like a bigger Geno-type guy ("elite explosion and power numbers in the weight room") which I'm 100% fine with. If the QB ends up being an upgrade over Driskel as a backup then that's good too. Plus, they drafted MICHAEL F'N JORDAN! So they've got a basketball HOF'er too...who needs Kyler Murray with his potential baseball side job? We drafted the G.O.A.T on the hardwood dammit! (Obviously I'm joking here).

All this knee-jerk draft reaction stuff got old to me years ago. The Kipers and formerly Mayocks of the world sit there and lambaste teams over picks with no earthly clue if they're actually right or not. I remember ESPN absolutely BLASTING the Bengals over taking Levi Jones. How'd that one work out Mel? You pompous jackass! Just as I remember Mayock going on and on about how Blaine Gabbert was the next great NFL QB (LOL). Truth is you never know until the games start to be played. I remember up until the game against the Oilers his rookie year all I thought about Corey Dillon was 'oh, the crack dealing kid'. Look how he turned out. Sometimes you get all excited for a guy and he falls flat on his face, sometimes you think a pick is idiotic and they turn out wonderful, and sometimes you're actually right in your initial impressions and things work out as you thought they would on draft day. Thing is, no one knows for sure until they start to play, not even Bill Belichick (no matter what ESPN wants you to believe).
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:28 PM)Ravage Wrote: I'm not into grading the draft or even getting too worked up for good or bad until I see them in camp/pre-season and can actually see what we've got.

Looking at the positions and scouting reports though, I think they did fine. They took multiple swings at filling the most glaring holes on both sides of the ball (OL/LB), grabbed a much needed TE that can block (where he was picked is potentially another matter), the DT is the most intriguing pick to me as from reading scouting reports he sounds like a bigger Geno-type guy ("elite explosion and power numbers in the weight room") which I'm 100% fine with. If the QB ends up being an upgrade over Driskel as a backup then that's good too. Plus, they drafted MICHAEL F'N JORDAN! So they've got a basketball HOF'er too...who needs Kyler Murray with his potential baseball side job? We drafted the G.O.A.T on the hardwood dammit! (Obviously I'm joking here).

All this knee-jerk draft reaction stuff got old to me years ago. The Kipers and formerly Mayocks of the world sit there and lambaste teams over picks with no earthly clue if they're actually right or not. I remember ESPN absolutely BLASTING the Bengals over taking Levi Jones. How'd that one work out Mel? You pompous jackass! Just as I remember Mayock going on and on about how Blaine Gabbert was the next great NFL QB (LOL). Truth is you never know until the games start to be played. I remember up until the game against the Oilers his rookie year all I thought about Corey Dillon was 'oh, the crack dealing kid'. Look how he turned out. Sometimes you get all excited for a guy and he falls flat on his face, sometimes you think a pick is idiotic and they turn out wonderful, and sometimes you're actually right in your initial impressions and things work out as you thought they would on draft day. Thing is, no one knows for sure until they start to play, not even Bill Belichick (no matter what ESPN wants you to believe).

Yep, Bengals can now market Michael Jordan is playing in BB charity games. Should sell out every time

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:24 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: He's Walter Football's grades for the draft, they are a little behind and do not have our 7th round graded as of this posting.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php

They gave the Williams pick a C+ so I don't know what I think about their grades.  To get arguably the best OT in the draft and give it a C+ for a team that has struggled greatly on the o-line seems a bit off to me.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:35 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: They gave the Williams pick a C+ so I don't know what I think about their grades.  To get arguably the best tackle in the draft and give it a C+ for a team that has struggled greatly on the o-line seems a bit off to me.

I have not looked at one site's grades overall, I did some during from CBS, they did not like our draft.

Did they love our 2015 draft? If so, they really messed up, as did the Bengals in the end.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have not looked at one site's grades overall, I did some during from CBS, they did not like or draft.

Did they love our 2015 draft? If so, they really messed up, as did the Bengals in the end.

I look at them just out of curiosity, just to see what they say.  That's why I shrugged off Walter Football with their C+ pick for Williams.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I give them a solid B. I really like the top 5 selections. Some are going to argue that Sample was selected to high and I would agree that he went maybe a little early but I also think NFL evaluators (that are paid to evaluate) had way more value on him then the talking heads.

1) A - Jonah Williams - You really could not get anymore of a solid pick. Will contribute immediately.

2) C - I am giving it a C simply because he went slightly early. As far as a player I really like the selection and I believe he is going to contribute immediately as well.

3) B - I think Pratt immediately improves our LB group. I will not be shocked to see him starting at WLB on day 1.

4) B - Finley I personally think is an outstanding selection and while he may be a back up right now I would not be shocked to see that change in the next couple of seasons. There are many that do not value backup players until that backup player is needed then they gripe about how they wish that player was better. Finley is a pro ready QB who I feel could be a franchise guy.

5) B - Wren I believe is going to be a good prospect for this team. I think he will contribute in the rotation immediately and if he comes close to his ability then he will be a stud.

I also think Jordan Brown could end up being an extremely solid player in the next couple of seasons.

Was it a draft of star power? Nope but it was a draft that helps build the foundation of this team going forward. IMO
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Did they love our 2015 draft? If so, they really messed up, as did the Bengals in the end.

Oh and here is what CBS said about 2015:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2015-nfl-draft-grades-jags-dolphins-ravens-cardinals-score-highest/

B+

"The Bengals did a really nice job again in the draft. The two tackles they took were Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher. They are good players, but they won't help this year. They landed solid football players the rest of the way."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote