Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Draft Grade Bengals
(04-27-2019, 07:53 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I give them a solid B. I really like the top 5 selections. Some are going to argue that Sample was selected to high and I would agree that he went maybe a little early but I also think NFL evaluators (that are paid to evaluate) had way more value on him then the talking heads.

1) A - Jonah Williams - You really could not get anymore of a solid pick. Will contribute immediately.

2) C - I am giving it a C simply because he went slightly early. As far as a player I really like the selection and I believe he is going to contribute immediately as well.

3) B - I think Pratt immediately improves our LB group. I will not be shocked to see him starting at WLB on day 1.

4) B - Finley I personally think is an outstanding selection and while he may be a back up right now I would not be shocked to see that change in the next couple of seasons. There are many that do not value backup players until that backup player is needed then they gripe about how they wish that player was better. Finley is a pro ready QB who I feel could be a franchise guy.

5) B - Wren I believe is going to be a good prospect for this team. I think he will contribute in the rotation immediately and if he comes close to his ability then he will be a stud.

I also think Jordan Brown could end up being an extremely solid player in the next couple of seasons.

Was it a draft of star power? Nope but it was a draft that helps build the foundation of this team going forward. IMO

I think draft was solid as well, almost lunch pail draft due to no skill guys early. I don't count a TE as a skill player, I am old school and like TE's who can block and catch the ball equally well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:53 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I give them a solid B. I really like the top 5 selections. Some are going to argue that Sample was selected to high and I would agree that he went maybe a little early but I also think NFL evaluators (that are paid to evaluate) had way more value on him then the talking heads.

1) A - Jonah Williams - You really could not get anymore of a solid pick. Will contribute immediately.

2) C - I am giving it a C simply because he went slightly early. As far as a player I really like the selection and I believe he is going to contribute immediately as well.

3) B - I think Pratt immediately improves our LB group. I will not be shocked to see him starting at WLB on day 1.

4) B - Finley I personally think is an outstanding selection and while he may be a back up right now I would not be shocked to see that change in the next couple of seasons. There are many that do not value backup players until that backup player is needed then they gripe about how they wish that player was better. Finley is a pro ready QB who I feel could be a franchise guy.

5) B - Wren I believe is going to be a good prospect for this team. I think he will contribute in the rotation immediately and if he comes close to his ability then he will be a stud.

I also think Jordan Brown could end up being an extremely solid player in the next couple of seasons.

Was it a draft of star power? Nope but it was a draft that helps build the foundation of this team going forward. IMO

It's weird. You tend to disagree with me a lot, but I'd probably grade the draft almost identical to how you've done it.

I might give Pratt and Finley B+'s for the spots they were drafted in. I really think Pratt's coverage ability could be good for us.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 08:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's weird. You tend to disagree with me a lot, but I'd probably grade the draft almost identical to how you've done it.

I might give Pratt and Finley B+'s for the spots they were drafted in. I really think Pratt's coverage ability could be good for us.

A lot of experts loved the Findley pick, had him at round 2 grade. Many think he will be a starting NFL QB ready within a year.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think I change my grade to B+. Upon further readings, from top down a solid job. I still think backer needs to be addressed further maybe next year. But maybe Davis does something, he is a leader.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 07:09 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think I change my grade to B+.  Upon further readings, from top down a solid job.  I still think backer needs to be addressed further maybe next year.  But maybe Davis does something, he is a leader.

Yeah, I gave it a B- so I was probably too tough as well. I like the Sample pick, I have thought for years we needed a better in line blocking TE to compliment Eifert. Since the LB we wanted slid to us in the 3rd round (no LB taken between our Sample pick and our 3rd round pick) in essence if we took Pratt in round 2 and Sample round 3, it all worked out.

We know Pratt was there in round 2, we don't know Sample would have been there in round 3. We do not likely Sample makes it to round 4 as many suggested, he was rated best blocking TE in the draft by PFF.

Based on my instant poll score and analogy, I switched my grade to a B+

Reply/Quote
People like to link the Steelers draft to the bengals draft.
There was no way in hell the Bengals were going to draft Bush.
Williams was the best Tackle in the draft, the Bengals had the 28th rated OL, according to PFF, games are won in the trenches, not with midget linebackers, no matter how fast they run.
62 points when playing a NFL caliber offense. Nuff said.

Compare the predraft ranking of Kittle to Sample almost identical. Casey was giddy when talking about Sample.

Micheal Jordan, by name alone this grades an A+. One analyst rated him as the 5th best guard, but gave the Bengals a D+ grade for the pick.

T. Williams led the SEC in rushing, was projected as a 2nd or 3rd, PFF.

In two years Finley will lead this team deep into the playoffs, several mocks had him going late first.

This was one of the best drafts in Bengals history!

Every pick was high character and intelligent.

They did not draft a wr, which tells me they think highly of Ross,

Last to first, mark it.
Reply/Quote
A

They did a great job at getting what was available that could help the team. Of course I wanted one of the Devin's, but after listening to our DC talk about the LB class it became clear they were leaning away from undersized LB's, which is fine by me because they have rarely worked out for us in this division anyway. Good move by the coaches to see that. They know this is the AFCN and we need to run and stop the run. Very smart, imo.

Drew Sample caught most of the footballs that were thrown to him. I know it seems a little far fetched to think this guy has hands and can use them to catch a football, but its true. I have a feeling if Washington passed him the ball more, he would have more stats. He made a very, very sweet and tricky catch in the Senior Bowl that goes to show, that his hands have the ability to catch a pigskin. But what I like the best is that he's a guy who's not going to give up on his blocks. Mixon is going to be able to run on his side and probably not have nearly as much disruption in the backfield as he's used to when he's trying to get around the edge. Love it. Free Mixon, he's a beast. Not too mention, there were people who considered Sample a reach and wanted Mack Wilson, who slipped into the 5th round. This goes to show that us fans really dont know very much.

This wasnt the most loaded class for our positions of most need. All things considered I think we did the best we could do with what was available and added some players who will help us.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:53 AM)Nickslycat Wrote: People like to link the Steelers draft to the bengals draft.
There was no way in hell the Bengals were going to draft Bush.
Williams was the best Tackle in the draft, the Bengals had the 28th rated OL, according to PFF, games are won in the trenches, not with midget linebackers, no matter how fast they run.
62 points when playing a NFL caliber offense.  Nuff said.

Compare the predraft ranking of Kittle to Sample almost identical.  Casey was giddy when talking about Sample.

Micheal Jordan, by name alone this grades an A+.  One analyst rated him as the 5th best guard, but gave the Bengals a D+ grade for the pick.

T. Williams led the SEC in rushing, was projected as a 2nd or 3rd, PFF.

In two years Finley will lead this team deep into the playoffs, several mocks had him going late first.

This was one of the best drafts in Bengals history!

Every pick was high character and intelligent.

They did not draft a wr, which tells me they think highly of Ross,

Last to first, mark it.

Add in cap management, a LB in a 4-3 high end is 8 to 10 million a year, a LT is 12-15 million. So one thing MB is great with is salary cap management, he spends the money, but never put himself in cap hell.

I agree once Williams fell out of top 7 or 8, Bengals had a no brainer in drafting the best OL and OT in this draft class.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:08 AM)bengaloo Wrote: A

They did a great job at getting what was available that could help the team. Of course I wanted one of the Devin's, but after listening to our DC talk about the LB class it became clear they were leaning away from undersized LB's, which is fine by me because they have rarely worked out for us in this division anyway. Good move by the coaches to see that. They know this is the AFCN and we need to run and stop the run. Very smart, imo.

Drew Sample caught most of the footballs that were thrown to him. I know it seems a little far fetched to think this guy has hands and can use them to catch a football, but its true. I have a feeling if Washington passed him the ball more, he would have more stats. He made a very, very sweet and tricky catch in the Senior Bowl that goes to show, that his hands have the ability to catch a pigskin. But what I like the best is that he's a guy who's not going to give up on his blocks. Mixon is going to be able to run on his side and probably not have nearly as much disruption in the backfield as he's used to when he's trying to get around the edge. Love it. Free Mixon, he's a beast. Not too mention, there were people who considered Sample a reach and wanted Mack Wilson, who slipped into the 5th round. This goes to show that us fans really dont know very much.

This wasnt the most loaded class for our positions of most need. All things considered I think we did the best we could do with what was available and added some players who will help us.

I loved they addressed the trenches heavily including put a high value on a blocking TE that can also catch the football. We have never had a TE who can block really well paired with Eifert. It gives our offense a lot more plays to run knowing the TE can run block and also chip DE or stay in and block for maximum protection so we can air it out.

Reply/Quote