Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Draft: Linebackers, Offensive OT/Guard & DB
I know it is way too early to post team needs (as of first regular season game vs. Colts), but if anyone has some data on Offensive Line prospects, particular RT and RG; Linebackers, and safeties, please post here.

I think Redmond and/or Westerman will do fine but I still think the team is thin at guard. The Bengals may need two OT next season if Fisher doesn't show anything (I have moved on from OG).

Vigil is showing what I thought he would early in the season but the Bengals are very thin at backer. As well at the safety position.

The reason for this somewhat early post for team needs is because I think some members including myself would like to keep tabs on prospects this year.

thanks.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Safety isn't a need Williams, Fedj, and Bates all look to be good out there.
LB- we probably need two to be honest A Sam LB and a true three down Backer. I don't see Vontaz and Brown in our near futures.
OT- Easy need
RG- pushing towards need but still wait and see
CB or NB- could be a major need depending on what dennard does in free agency
3T-Would be nice for Geno to actually get a break and it should be a deep draft at that position.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Well, you see I have another thread going on the OT's with the site I follow. You can search them all by position. I've pasted their big board.

https://www.footballcouchscout.com/big-board

This site does nothing but scout them by assorted games throughout the year. After a few years of following them, I think they are darn good for a free site. The other site I follow is Walter. Draftek I've kind of cooled on as well as CBS Sports.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 01:56 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Safety isn't a need Williams, Fedj, and  Bates all look to be good out there.
LB- we probably need two to be honest A Sam LB and a true three down Backer. I don't see Vontaz and Brown in our near futures.
OT- Easy need
RG- pushing towards need but still wait and see
CB or NB- could be a major need depending on what dennard does in free agency
3T-Would be nice for Geno to actually get a break and it should be a deep draft at that position.

Williams may get suspended if he keeps getting personal fouls. I still think they need another safety.  
I agree that Mike backer is a need and isn't Vigil playing SAM?  Or is that Evans?  Dennard has been looking great so I hope they sign him.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 01:57 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Well, you see I have another thread going on the OT's with the site I follow.  You can search them all by position.  I've pasted their big board.

https://www.footballcouchscout.com/big-board

This site does nothing but scout them by assorted games throughout the year.  After a few years of following them, I think they are darn good for a free site.  The other site I follow is Walter.  Draftek I've kind of cooled on as well as CBS Sports.

I appreciate this post very much.  Have you watched any of these guys?  I think Gary will be special but not a need at this point.   Little is an interesting prospect .  Is Edwards from Wisconsin any good?    I haven't watched him but I know Wisconsin tends to produce good O-line talent.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Here's a few. I haven't seen every game for these players this year, so this will also be pre-season rankings/thoughts.

Offensive tackle:
Trey Adams. Liked what I saw from him last year and thought he would be the 1st OT taken this year, but tore his ACL and had another possible season ending injury this year. Probably will not come out next year, but if he does I wouldn't mind taking a shot with him in the later rounds.

Jonah Williams. Smart player who does well in the passing and rushing attack. Probably a better fit at RT. Want to see more consistency from him. Definitely has a chance to be the first OT taken.

Greg Little. I haven't seen any tape of him this year, but I've seen hype go his way. Can't really go by much, though, as I haven't watched him.

Dalton Risner. Very underrated tackle and has always been productive for Kansas State. Rarely gets beaten, if ever, and has some of the best blocking technique I've seen so far.

Linebackers:
Devin White. Extremely intelligent and leader of the defense. He's fast and can explode to the ball. Very reactionary and can read what he needs to do, and quickly do it.

TJ Edwards. Possibly the best coverage linebacker in college right now. He's fast, reads the quarterback's eyes well, and can run routes with the opponent.

Devin Bush. Fast, instinctual linebacker who has a ton of potential to be a 1st round pick. He's fast, plays hard, and can blitz extremely well. However, he sometimes has games where he isn't as big a factor. Want more consistency.

Safety:
Lukas Denis. A ball hawk in the secondary. While he isn't going to be a hard hitter, he's going to make a play on the ball. He reacts quickly and tracks the ball well.

Deionte Thompson. Haven't watched Alabama this year, but have heard hype about him.

Jaquan Johnson. Overall a good safety. Nice pass coverage and can also make hits. Very solid player throughout his career and has a chance to separate himself as the #1 safety
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 04:45 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Here's a few. I haven't seen every game for these players this year, so this will also be pre-season rankings/thoughts.

Offensive tackle:
Trey Adams. Liked what I saw from him last year and thought he would be the 1st OT taken this year, but tore his ACL and had another possible season ending injury this year. Probably will not come out next year, but if he does I wouldn't mind taking a shot with him in the later rounds.

Jonah Williams. Smart player who does well in the passing and rushing attack. Probably a better fit at RT. Want to see more consistency from him. Definitely has a chance to be the first OT taken.

Greg Little. I haven't seen any tape of him this year, but I've seen hype go his way. Can't really go by much, though, as I haven't watched him.

Dalton Risner. Very underrated tackle and has always been productive for Kansas State. Rarely gets beaten, if ever, and has some of the best blocking technique I've seen so far.

Linebackers:
Devin White. Extremely intelligent and leader of the defense. He's fast and can explode to the ball. Very reactionary and can read what he needs to do, and quickly do it.

TJ Edwards. Possibly the best coverage linebacker in college right now. He's fast, reads the quarterback's eyes well, and can run routes with the opponent.

Devin Bush. Fast, instinctual linebacker who has a ton of potential to be a 1st round pick. He's fast, plays hard, and can blitz extremely well. However, he sometimes has games where he isn't as big a factor. Want more consistency.

Safety:
Lukas Denis. A ball hawk in the secondary. While he isn't going to be a hard hitter, he's going to make a play on the ball. He reacts quickly and tracks the ball well.

Deionte Thompson. Haven't watched Alabama this year, but have heard hype about him.

Jaquan Johnson. Overall a good safety. Nice pass coverage and can also make hits. Very solid player throughout his career and has a chance to separate himself as the #1 safety
Thanks Wolf.  Great as always.  Give me Risner, White, and Denis.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 04:48 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Thanks Wolf.  Great as always.  Give me Risner, White, and Denis.  

I'm a huge fan of those 3.

Although I really want Risner. While he hasn't gone against strong competition consistently, what he does play in and play out shows how sound his technique is. Doesn't take any plays off.

Will probably garner a lot more buzz after the Senior Bowl

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 02:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote:   Is Edwards from Wisconsin any good?    I haven't watched him but I know Wisconsin tends to produce good O-line talent.  

It's early, but it looks like a banner year for Wisconsin o-lineman.  They have 4 lineman in the top 75.  Would be a good story line if they met up with Clemson and their vaunted ridiculous d-line
Reply/Quote
Better chance of them facing Ohio State’s ridiculous D line. That’ll be a great matchup if they meet.

Also I believe this D line class should be crazy good/deep. I know it’s not our biggest need but I’d still like to grab one semi early, should be able to get a really good value pick.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 04:45 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Here's a few. I haven't seen every game for these players this year, so this will also be pre-season rankings/thoughts.

Offensive tackle:

Linebackers:

Safety:

Interesting about Edwards- I heard he was slow and not that Athletic but had insane football IQ which makes him awesome.

Two questions What are your thoughts on Kevin Givens from Penn State? Do know what the  deal with Jamal Peters from Mississippi State. Seams like what everything you want in a Corner from Size to Athletic ability  but I find it curious why his numbers are not better and why he wouldn't want to test the draft earlier?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2018, 02:01 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Interesting about Edwards- I heard he was slow and not that Athletic but had insane football IQ which makes him awesome.

Two questions What are your thoughts on Kevin Givens from Penn State? Do know what the  deal with Jamal Peters from Mississippi State. Seams like what everything you want in a Corner from Size to Athletic ability  but I find it curious why his numbers are not better and why he wouldn't want to test the draft earlier?

Edwards is very smart and has a knack of knowing where to be in pass coverage. He's definitely not super athletic by any means, but he's sound and creates tough windows for quarterbacks to throw to. Edwards is solid in the run game, not amazing but not terrible.

I like Kevin Givens and hope for a big year outta him. I watch Penn State every week since, well, I'm a PSU fan (I already feel the judgment). His playing style is similar to that of Atkins and Donald, due to his size. He doesn't have HUGE stats, but he could put together a very good year and get noise his way.

Peters is a good press coverage cornerback. He plays the receiver rather than try to read the quarterback. Would like him to turn his head more and make plays on the ball. He's a very solid player, I have a 2nd round grade on him

Reply/Quote
Watching Edwards, #79 from Wisconsin at RT. He looks solid. But I would like to see more mean streak in his play. He seems to take off on some plays. He seems cerebral out there. With that said, I really like the interior line men of Auburn on offense.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
After 3 weeks, here's what I see as the major needs:

1. O-line. It's still an issue, but its a little better than last year. We still need a good option at RT and RG.
2. LB. SAM? No, that's a wasted position in the NFL these days with all of the 3 WR sets. I don't care if we draft a big S and move him to LB, either way we need a COVERAGE LB that can cover RBs and TEs.

I'm also starting to think CB is a need as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 01:17 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: After 3 weeks, here's what I see as the major needs:

1.  O-line.  It's still an issue, but its a little better than last year.  We still need a good option at RT and RG.
2.  LB.  SAM?  No, that's a wasted position in the NFL these days with all of the 3 WR sets.  I don't care if we draft a big S and move him to LB, either way we need a COVERAGE LB that can cover RBs and TEs.

I'm also starting to think CB is a need as well.

It is amazing that the Bengals have no answer for Tight Ends coverage.  Seems like a problem each year.  I thought Bates would cover TE but he seems to play center field.  Williams is big enough to play that hybrid backer/safety position but he is inconsistent as hell.  I could see the Bengals drafting a OT early next year followed by a safety or backer.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
The DT class is rather deep and they have backed it up so far. If we were to go off the board and find a bpa, this might be where to go. Billings hasn't really been the answer yet. O-line class, not all players, but some, have underwhelmed so far.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2018, 06:23 AM)Goalpost Wrote: The DT class is rather deep and they have backed it up so far.  If we were to go off the board and find a bpa, this might be where to go.  Billings hasn't really been the answer yet.  O-line class, not all players, but some, have underwhelmed so far.

I would be okay with this
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Hopefully in this draft we can find an answer at right tackle and also get some speed at linebacker. The free agent class for lineman is rough, so it'll have to be a solution through drafting. I'd like a tackle and guard both selected through the first four rounds, with a LB and possibly a corner or TE with the other selection.
Reply/Quote
TE is more of a need than S IMO. Maybe need a CB if Dennard leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 10:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: TE is more of a need than S IMO. Maybe need a CB if Dennard leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unfortunately after the Eifert injury, TE has now become a need.  I hope they keep Dennard because #27 is inconsistent as hell.  They still need RT and RG.  Redmond is okay, have yet to see Westerman.  Speed at Mike backer is necessary I think.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote