Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019 Draft Retrospective
As I was tracking cuts today, I had to go back and look at the 2019 draft…

Out of 10 draft selections, there are only 3 that remain with the team.  Jonah Williams, Drew Sample and Germain Pratt.  

A disappointing draft to say the least considering out of the 3 players remaining, 2 are average/rotational starters (Pratt & Sample) and the one (Jonah Williams) that has shown the most potential has only played 10 out of 32 games.

At least the 2020 and 2021 drafts are looking better right now!
Reply/Quote
To be fair, those are the first, second and third round picks.

If you are going to hit with any picks, those are the ones with the highest likelihood. I've always considering getting a 53 man roster player after the third round to pretty much be a bonus, especially a few years down the line.
Reply/Quote
I remember when that draft was complete a lot of people said we hit it out of the park other than Sample… Low and behold, anyone past rd 3 is a distant memory…. makes you wonder about these rookie Olineman that we are high on right now….
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 06:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: To be fair, those are the first, second and third round picks.

If you are going to hit with any picks, those are the ones with the highest likelihood. I've always considering getting a 53 man roster player after the third round to pretty much be a bonus, especially a few years down the line.

True and I still like all 3 of them even if Sample was picked too high. He is still solid counter to what some say.

Jonah and Pratt both could be top pros at their positions. Pratt has looked good this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 06:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: To be fair, those are the first, second and third round picks.

Agreed.  
I consider any pick past round 4 a genuine roll of the dice. But given our FO had 7 picks between rounds 4 - 7, with three in the 4th round, it would have been nice to come away with at least 1 average starter out them.
Reply/Quote
I was imperative in.ZTs 1st draft he landed
Gamechangers and playmakers.
Marvins last few drafts really came up
Short. A franchise simply cannot win when you
Miss conistantly on 1st RD picks.
Zacs 1st draft is really lacking difference makers.
Williams needs to stay healthy and cause those
DEs he faces to disapear.
Pratt does nothing that makes.you.go wow
This guy is a force. He is not a headache for opposing
Offenses.
Sample is 1980s TE trying to play in current era offense
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 06:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I was imperative in.ZTs 1st draft he landed
Offenses.
Sample is  1980s TE trying to play in  current era offense

When your first rounders are hurt every year it really hurts your team as a whole. We have seen this first hand.

Disagree on Pratt though, his effort has always stood out to me in a great way. I think this could be a good year for him as I 
was really disappointed in him last year. Logan Wilson could be our next great Linebacker though, his instincts you cannot 
teach. Golden seems to have the Linebackers playing much better this year and they are really young. Looking for ADG to 
make a monster leap this year and flash some of that raw talent he has. The 2020 Draft was better than the 2019 draft IMO.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 06:43 PM)DesertBengal Wrote: Agreed.  
I consider any pick past round 4 a genuine roll of the dice. But given our FO had 7 picks between rounds 4 - 7, with three in the 4th round, it would have been nice to come away with at least 1 average starter out them.

True, with one notable exception: fifth-rounder Evan McMoney Hammer Legs-a-tron McMeaty-foot McPherson.  He's a...

[Image: c528c8933103b5ba7f0255e1de5159a5.png]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:19 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: True, with one notable exception: fifth-rounder Evan McMoney Hammer Legs-a-tron McMeaty-foot McPherson.  He's a...

Believe he booted a 57 yarder against the Phins if I am not mistaken...
Reply/Quote
Yeah, it’s not looking like a good draft. If Williams develops into an all pro, that would save the draft a bit.

Everything really falls on these three picks. Sample should be solid, but can he be an elite blocker and develop into a playmaker? I agree that Pratt isn’t a game changer, but could be a solid linebacker for us.

None of the three remaining draft picks scream elite to me though. Best this draft can be is average or below average unless suddenly Sample becomes a dynamic playmaker and Williams turns into a shutdown tackle—still, then you’re looking at an above average draft? I’ll be happy to get 3 starters that are consistent—but playmakers move the needle more. We need role players too..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Believe he booted a 57 yarder against the Phins if I am not mistaken...

Someone in the FO gets cookies for drafting McPherson, probably the best pick of this last draft.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:19 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: True, with one notable exception: fifth-rounder Evan McMoney Hammer Legs-a-tron McMeaty-foot McPherson.  He's a...

Oh you mean Legs Benedict?

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:26 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Someone in the FO gets cookies for drafting McPherson, probably the best pick of this last draft.

And he was in everyone of my Mocks... ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Believe he booted a 57 yarder against the Phins if I am not mistaken...

Yes he did.  Smooth Jimmy Apollo doesn't ride with losers.  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 06:07 PM)DesertBengal Wrote: As I was tracking cuts today, I had to go back and look at the 2019 draft…

Out of 10 draft selections, there are only 3 that remain with the team.  Jonah Williams, Drew Sample and Germain Pratt.  

A disappointing draft to say the least considering out of the 3 players remaining, 2 are average/rotational starters (Pratt & Sample) and the one (Jonah Williams) that has shown the most potential has only played 10 out of 32 games.

At least the 2020 and 2021 drafts are looking better right now!

Honestly (and this isnt just me trying to be that hindsight guy) I hated that draft. You just get a feel some years when a draft will be good. Usually you have a few later round picks shining quickly. I think this years will be a vintage year. 

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:27 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Oh you mean Legs Benedict?

If there were any justice at all in this cruel world, that's exactly who I'd mean.  Sadly, a lame nickname seems his destiny.  
Reply/Quote
Short off season for the new coaching staff to start getting a look at the college kids.... that's what I hope to chalk it up to.

I've been impressed with our last two drafts time will tell however
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:43 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Short off season for the new coaching staff to start getting a look at the college kids.... that's what I hope to chalk it up to.

I've been impressed with our last two drafts time will tell however

Yeah, the last 2 Drafts have been significantly better IMO
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 06:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I was imperative in.ZTs 1st draft he landed
Offenses.
Sample is  1980s TE trying to play in  current era offense

That Sample is a real game changer. LOL

Tobin made the Burrow pick. Taylor's part of the job was to suck so bad that the team got the first pick and that's all I'll ever credit him for.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 10:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That Sample is a real game changer. LOL

Tobin made the Burrow pick. Taylor's part of the job was to suck so bad that the team got the first pick and that's all I'll ever credit him for.

Lets see if we make the Playoffs this year and win a Playoff game. If Taylor does this I will give him credit for it.
Reply/Quote