Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Draft: Tight Ends
I thought a separate thread for Tight Ends is necessary as I now see TE as a need maybe day two in 2019 draft. I need some help on the top TE coming out.

According to PFT, Michigan Zach Gentry has declared for draft. Please list others that interest you in this thread...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://www.footballcouchscout.com/big-board

Far right column, or, hit POS and it will separate by position
Reply/Quote
The class is fairly decent if everyone declares. Fant is probably the top one. Jace Sternberger is a sleeper type pick. He declared yesterday.
Reply/Quote
I think we wait until early day 3 and I know some will freak out about that, but to me Uzomah can get us by for another year. The needs on day 1 and 2 I think are LB/Oline/CB, especially if Dennard leaves but honestly even if he doesn't we need to get depth and possibly plan to move on from Dre.
Reply/Quote
I like Kaden Smith from Stanford as a mid-round pick.
I like other TEs more, but I would rather the Bengals go OL, LB, or DL in the first 2-3 rounds and wait on a TE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 11:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I thought a separate thread for Tight Ends is necessary as I now see TE as a need maybe day two in 2019 draft.  I need some help on the top TE coming out.  

According to PFT, Michigan Zach Gentry has declared for draft.  Please list others that interest you in this thread...

I would love to get this kid! I have seen him a few times this year. For a guy that big, he runs and moves pretty good. Most guys that big, look like Frankenstein trying to run. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 08:32 AM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.footballcouchscout.com/big-board

Far right column, or, hit POS and it will separate by position

Thanks for the site. I saw a lot of names that would be great for early day 3 or late day 2. At the moment there is 1 guy that I want around that time , Taylor Rapp, S Washington. He will absolutely knock the snot out of you and can cover. Do we need a safety, probably not, but I can dream.
Reply/Quote
I really like the other tight end out of Iowa. TJ Hockenson. I have no idea where he will go though.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:11 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I would love to get this kid! I have seen him a few times this year. For a guy that big, he runs and moves pretty good. Most guys that big, look like Frankenstein trying to run. 

Gentry is a big guy that can block sort of like Uzi.  I think my realistic favorite is Irv Smith.  Seems complete but may need to grab him round two.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Noah fant is the top guy but hockenson is coming out a year early. If he came out next year he'd go round. 1. He's coming out this year so he'll go late 2-early 3. Absolute steal.
Reply/Quote
Been working on a mock for awhile and Hockenson is the guy. Route running, hands, catch radius, and a tremendous blocker. All about him.

Also think Tommy Sweeney from BC would be more then serviceable, but not as dynamic.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 12:58 AM)The Stars In Stripes Wrote: Been working on a mock for awhile and Hockenson is the guy. Route running, hands, catch radius, and a tremendous blocker. All about him.

Also think Tommy Sweeney from BC would be more then serviceable, but not as dynamic.

What round is Hockenson projected?  3-4?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 03:35 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: What round is Hockenson projected?  3-4?

Could be more 2-3 as Jpoore predicted.
While Hockenson only has one good year of production compared to Fant's two, Hockenson actually outperformed Fant in 2018.
Fant - 518 yards, 7 TDs
Hockenson - 760 yards, 6 TDs
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 10:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Could be more 2-3 as Jpoore predicted.
While Hockenson only has one good year of production compared to Fant's two, Hockenson actually outperformed Fant in 2018.
Fant - 518 yards, 7 TDs
Hockenson - 760 yards, 6 TDs

I have seen some people sneak him into the bottom of the 1st.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 10:38 AM)Au165 Wrote: I have seen some people sneak him into the bottom of the 1st.

[Image: he7TFmQ.png]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 10:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: [Image: he7TFmQ.png]

I thought it was interesting that the two top TE's could be from....Iowa. Then I remembered they actually make their TE's line up inline and block as well as run routes so it makes sense. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 10:41 AM)Au165 Wrote: I thought it was interesting that the two top TE's could be from....Iowa. Then I remembered they actually make their TE's line up inline and block as well as run routes so it makes sense. 

Isn't it crazy that George Kittle went in the 5th round in 2017?
He didn't have 500+ yards in a season in college like Fant and Hockenson, but he did have ideal size and ran a 4.52 at nearly 250 lbs. That 40 time alone would make me do a double-take and make sure to run him through drills at his Pro Day.
It's a rather safe bet to get a TE from either Stanford or Iowa (at least nowadays).
And given Dalton's and Driskell's tendencies to throw high and struggles throwing accurately downfield, they need big guys with leaping ability that can make contested catches.
A guy like Hockenson or Kaden Smith would fit in well with this team IMO. Fant would too, but I'd prefer the Bengals address OL or LB in Rd 1.

Also, Albert Okwuegbunam from Missouri could actually be the first TE off the board. He has crazy size (6'5", 255 lbs), has had back-to-back 400+ yard 6+ TD seasons at Mizzou, and he's believed to not have tapped his potential yet like how OJ Howard was.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 10:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Isn't it crazy that George Kittle went in the 5th round in 2017?
He didn't have 500+ yards in a season in college like Fant and Hockenson, but he did have ideal size and ran a 4.52 at nearly 250 lbs. That 40 time alone would make me do a double-take and make sure to run him through drills at his Pro Day.
It's a rather safe bet to get a TE from either Stanford or Iowa (at least nowadays).
And given Dalton's and Driskell's tendencies to throw high and struggles throwing accurately downfield, they need big guys with leaping ability that can make contested catches.
A guy like Hockenson or Kaden Smith would fit in well with this team IMO. Fant would too, but I'd prefer the Bengals address OL or LB in Rd 1.

Also, Albert Okwuegbunam from Missouri could actually be the first TE off the board. He has crazy size (6'5", 255 lbs), has had back-to-back 400+ yard 6+ TD seasons at Mizzou, and he's believed to not have tapped his potential yet like how OJ Howard was.

But I don't know that Okwegbunam has been asked to do much if any inline blocking which is what we had to overcome with Uzomah. Howard played in a scheme in Alabama where they asked him to do a lot of work in the run game. Tough to tell what a new coach may value in terms of a TE who is more like an Engram (Big WR) or a guy like Kittle who can come in and block and catch. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 11:01 AM)Au165 Wrote: But I don't know that Okwegbunam has been asked to do much if any inline blocking which is what we had to overcome with Uzomah. Howard played in a scheme in Alabama where they asked him to do a lot of work in the run game. Tough to tell what a new coach may value in terms of a TE who is more like an Engram (Big WR) or a guy like Kittle who can come in and block and catch. 

Very true. As you said, depends on the new regime. But whether it's the Bengals or not, Okwuegbunam could still be the top TE taken because he's believed to have elite potential like people were projecting Howard. And from what I read, Okwuegbunam seems like a pretty well-rounded TE and he just needs more usage in the passing game to become truly dominant.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Very true. As you said, depends on the new regime. But whether it's the Bengals or not, Okwuegbunam could still be the top TE taken because he's believed to have elite potential like people were projecting Howard. And from what I read, Okwuegbunam seems like a pretty well-rounded TE and he just needs more usage in the passing game to become truly dominant.

I read a report from a scout who said he was severely overrated. Basically half his touchdowns came from one specific play where he'd charge the back of his line and act like he was blocking then come out the other side uncovered running free. That guy called him more of a 3rd or 4th round project. 

I think he will be polarizing, one team could take him in the 1st and everyone be shocked or he could fall hard like a Billings where media like him more than teams. 
Reply/Quote