Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 NFL triplets rankings: Saints, Chargers, Browns top the list
2019 NFL triplets rankings: Saints, Chargers, Browns top the list

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035106/article/2019-nfl-triplets-rankings-saints-chargers-browns-top-the-list

RANK

BALTIMORE RAVENS (50.5 pts)

Quarterback: Lamar Jackson -- Rank: T-24th (One game: 22nd | 2019 prod.: 25th)
Running back: Mark Ingram -- Rank: 17th
Pass catcher: Marquise Brown -- Rank: 27th

Of all the trios on this list, Baltimore's offensive core is the one I'm most excited to see take the field in September. Lamar Jackson proved in Year 1 he's one of the league's most electrifying playmakers, and the team's commitment to running an offensive system designed around his unique skill set is refreshing. Even at 29, Ingram is a quality back who will add experience and production (fifth-most yards from scrimmage among RBs since 2015) to Baltimore's backfield. And I can't wait to watch "Hollywood" Brown sprint by defenders on the M&T Stadium turf. But will Jackson be able to hit him in stride? Hard to say, considering Jackson attempted just 13 passes of 20-plus air yards last season (ranking 39th among QBs), per Next Gen Stats. So as much as I appreciate and am intrigued by the Ravens' Army-like offensive approach, the potential run-run-run-run philosophy could ding Jackson's (and Brown's) overall production. I'll have no problem issuing a mea culpa in January if the Ravens have a top-10 unit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RANK

CINCINNATI BENGALS (79.5 pts)

Quarterback: Andy Dalton -- Rank: T-24th (One game: 27th | 2019 prod.: 20th)
Running back: Joe Mixon -- Rank: 8th
Pass catcher: A.J. Green -- Rank: 7th

Dalton has been an average-to-slightly-above-average quarterback for much of his career ... when the scope is limited to just the regular season. But the wheels fall off in January, when the Bengals' franchise passer becomes the worst version of himself. His 0-4 record and 57.8 passer rating in the postseason dropped him to 27th in the one-game ranking and sabotaged an otherwise-formidable unit. Mixon has proven he's a top-notch back, displaying great power, vision and breakaway ability (ranked third in runs of 10-plus yards, per PFF) in his second season. While he did catch 43 balls in 2018 (on 55 targets), it would behoove new coach Zac Taylor to feature Mixon even more in the passing game -- and not just on screens. (I'm sure he'll read and consider my savvy advice.) When healthy, Green is still an upper-echelon WR1. The seven-time Pro Bowler was off to a tremendous start last year, catching 45 balls for 687 yards and six scores through eight games before a toe injury limited him to just one brief appearance in Week 13 and, soon thereafter, a spot on IR. Durability, not a drop-off in ability, is the main concern for the soon-to-be 31-year-old superstar.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RANK

PITTSBURGH STEELERS (106.5 pts)

Quarterback: Ben Roethlisberger -- Rank: 10th (One game: 9th | 2019 prod.: 12th)
Running back: James Conner -- Rank: 12th
Pass catcher: JuJu Smith-Schuster -- Rank: 15th

The Steelers' Killer Bs ( Big Ben, Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown) were the most dominating QB-RB-WR trio of the decade, with all three ranking consistently at the top -- or near the top -- of their respective position groups. Now, only Roethlisberger remains in the Steel City. The QB eclipsed 5,000 passing yards for the first time in his career and threw the ball more (675 attempts) last season than ever before. But more didn't mean better for the veteran signal-caller. In fact, the Steelers went 5-1-1 in games in which Big Ben had fewer than 45 attempts and 4-5 when he had 45 or more. Big Ben is still a great player, but the Steelers are at their best when they're balanced, which is where Conner comes in. Although not as dynamic or multi-faceted as Bell (who sat out the entire season rather than sign his franchise tender), the third-year back out of Pitt more than held his own as the Steelers' fill-in RB1, totaling 1,470 scrimmage yards and 13 touchdowns while earning his first Pro Bowl selection. Conner had five 100-yard rushing efforts but struggled as the season wore on, failing to reach the 70-yard mark in any of his final five games. He will need to be fresh down the stretch for this Steelers offense to be successful. Conner's draft classmate, JuJu Smith-Schuster, will have even bigger shoes to fill. After a strong rookie campaign, Smith-Schuster exploded in 2018, catching 111 passes for 1,426 yards and seven scores. But much of his success stemmed from defenses keying on Brown, often sliding a safety to the veteran's side of the field to provide support over the top. It's damning that Smith-Schuster recorded his lowest yards per target (3.7) in the one game A.B. didn't play last season -- a Week 17 clash at home against the 32nd-ranked Bengals pass defense. If Smith-Schuster shows he can still produce without an elite talent playing opposite him, he'll move up the list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RANK

CLEVELAND BROWNS (125.5 pts)

Quarterback: Baker Mayfield -- Rank: 9th (One game: 10th | 2019 prod.: 7th)
Running back: Nick Chubb -- Rank: 10th
Pass catcher: Odell Beckham Jr. -- Rank: 4th

I know some folks will scoff at Mayfield's top-10 ranking (or the Browns at No. 3), but the former Heisman Trophy winner was that impressive as a rookie. Add in Odell Beckham Jr. (we'll get to him in a bit), a full dose of Nick Chubb and another year in the same offensive system, and I don't think it's hyperbole to expect fireworks every time Mayfield lines up under center. I initially had Chubb in the mid-teens, and then at the behest of NFL.com editor and noted Browns fan Tom Blair, I re-watched some tape from last year and dove a bit deeper into the data. I'm not sure how Kareem Hunt will work into the rotation when he returns from his eight-game suspension, or how long Duke Johnson will remain with the team, but Chubb proved as a rookie he's a game-changing back. He finished Year 1 ranked fourth among RBs in yards after contact (858) and ninth in runs over 10 yards despite finishing 21st in snaps (198), according to PFF. As for Beckham, the table is set for a career-defining season. He has a strong-armed and accurate quarterback throwing him the ball, skilled pass-catchers lining up all around him (including his close friend, Jarvis Landry) and his college position coach serving in the same role in Cleveland. We should expect the best from the 26-year-old generational talent. If not now, when?
When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I have always liked Mayfield and I think he will be a good NFL QB. But I wouldn't have him at #9 already.

And I would rank Shuster higher than #15.

Of course I would have Dalton ranked higher, but based on recent history I can see how he would not be much higher.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 04:56 PM)Vambo Wrote:  As for Beckham, the table is set for a career-defining season. He has a strong-armed and accurate quarterback throwing him the ball, skilled pass-catchers lining up all around him (including his close friend, Jarvis Landry) and his college position coach serving in the same role in Cleveland. We should expect the best from the 26-year-old generational talent. If not now, when?

Twenty six year old generational talent WRs are not traded. He has personal issues that may surface again in Cleveland. On the surface the Browns look like the team to beat in the division. There are red flags for sure . I know we aren't in Kansas but "show me" before being a braggart.
Reply/Quote