Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Reds What's missing ?
I'm ok with Votto for the most part except the part where he's hitting in the # 2 spot every game he's in..The guy can go 0 for 35 and is still hitting in the #2 spot AS IF it's written in stone he MUST hit in that spot. 
That contract is a done deal so no point in continuing to argue it.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 03:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm ok with Votto for the most part except the part where he's hitting in the # 2 spot every game he's in..The guy can go 0 for 35 and is still hitting in the #2 spot AS IF it's written in stone he MUST hit in that spot. 

I agree

Pride or not if he comes out hitting next season like my gramma he has drop down to like 7th.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 03:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm ok with Votto for the most part except the part where he's hitting in the # 2 spot every game he's in..The guy can go 0 for 35 and is still hitting in the #2 spot AS IF it's written in stone he MUST hit in that spot. 

I don’t think that people are arguing about the contract. Most of us are just discussing the output from the firs base position and if Votto stays at his current level or regresses even more, where’s the cutoff limit and is there a cutoff limit. First base is traditionally a very strong hitting position. The Reds need to pick up an extra 15 homers and 50 RBI over league average at SS, CF and C just to replace production that Votto isn’t producing.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 03:00 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I don’t think that people are arguing about the contract. Most of us are just discussing the output from the firs base position and if Votto stays at his current level or regresses even more, where’s the cutoff limit and is there a cutoff limit. First base is traditionally a very strong hitting position. The Reds need to pick up an extra 15 homers and 50 RBI over league average at SS, CF and C just to replace production that Votto isn’t producing.

Personally, I thought the Reds had learned their lesson of signing mega long term deals with Griffey. I still do not like the Votto deal. However, I'm sure it will happen again with someone else in the future.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
What's missing is this kind of run by their starters.

Stat thrown up in the Nats-Cubs game just a few minutes ago
Anibal Sanchez - 7-0 his last 15 starts
Joe Ross - 3-0 in August
Stephen Strasburg - 12-2 his last 17 starts
Patrick Corbin - 5-0 in his last 12 starts
Max Scherzer - 7-0 in his last 9 starts

Granted, their bullpen is terrible and there have been some missed starts in there but that is still an impressive run by the main starters. The MASN announcers said that it was mainly due to their increasingly high numbers of first pitch strikes. It helps keep the pitch count down. just think if they had a bullpen . . . not so easy to build one.

Washington last 11 games
9-2
+50 run differential
27 Home Runs
.409 with Runners In Scoring position
3.12 starters ERA
2 errors
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 09:45 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Personally, I thought the Reds had learned their lesson of signing mega long term deals with Griffey. I still do not like the Votto deal. However, I'm sure it will happen again with someone else in the future.

One of the big things that I thought was very stupid was that Votto was already under control for a couple of more years and they decided to extend Votto after the MVP year. His stock would never be higher and he was already under control. It was a very bad business decision on timing alone. Votto got hurt not too long after that. Think how much they would have saved by waiting. I’m also not a huge fan of letting guys get no trade contracts and especially for a long period of time.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 05:20 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: What's missing is this kind of run by their starters.

Stat thrown up in the Nats-Cubs game just a few minutes ago
Anibal Sanchez - 7-0 his last 15 starts
Joe Ross - 3-0 in August
Stephen Strasburg - 12-2 his last 17 starts
Patrick Corbin - 5-0 in his last 12 starts
Max Scherzer  - 7-0 in his last 9 starts

Granted, their bullpen is terrible and there have been some missed starts in there but that is still an impressive run by the main starters. The MASN announcers said that it was mainly due to their increasingly high numbers of first pitch strikes. It helps keep the pitch count down. just think if they had a bullpen . . . not so easy to build one.

Washington last 11 games
9-2
+50 run differential
27 Home Runs
.409 with Runners In Scoring position
3.12 starters ERA
2 errors

Another thing that I think has hurt this pitching staff is nibbling way to much 0-2 1-2. Mahle and Disco have been really bad others have been guilty at times to.

Get up 0-2 then throw 3 total junk pitches not even close to the zone.
Reply/Quote
The odd thing is the Reds scoring by inning. I know this has been mentioned throughout the year, but here are the current stats.

In the 1st inning, the Reds rank 1st in all of MLB in runs scored
In the 2nd inning we rank 7th in all of MLB.

So....and then the drop off occurs...….

3rd inning...we rank 26th
4th inning..we rank 28th
5th inning...we rank 21st
6th inning...we rank 20th
7th inning...we rank 21st
8th inning...we rank 30th
9th inning...we rank 17th
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 06:33 PM)Goalpost Wrote: The odd thing is the Reds scoring by inning.  I know this has been mentioned throughout the year, but here are the current stats.

In the 1st inning, the Reds rank 1st in all of MLB in runs scored  
In the 2nd inning we rank 7th in all of MLB.  

So....and then the drop off occurs...….

3rd inning...we rank 26th
4th inning..we rank 28th
5th inning...we rank 21st
6th inning...we rank 20th
7th inning...we rank 21st
8th inning...we rank 30th
9th inning...we rank 17th

Weird, strange that we're that good early and that bad late in games.
Reply/Quote