Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Salary Cap - Bengals Cap Space
Salary cap update for 2019:

The Bengals also have about 8.5m that can be rolled over, making their total projected cap to be 195.5-199.6m.

Right now, the Bengals look to have 138.6m allocated in total cap for 2019, counting dead money. 

That seems to leave them with about 57-61m in cap space next year, depending on the final numbers.
Reply/Quote

...and that's why Mike Brown doesn't give two shits about what the fans think.  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 08:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Salary cap update for 2019:

The Bengals also have about 8.5m that can be rolled over, making their total projected cap to be 195.5-199.6m.

Right now, the Bengals look to have 138.6m allocated in total cap for 2019, counting dead money. 

That seems to leave them with about 57-61m in cap space next year, depending on the final numbers.

Let me translate this to Mike Brown thought process.

$195M
minus $139M from current contracts
equals $56M
minus $20M for rookie pool - higher picks means bigger rookie pool - sorry fans
equals $36M
minus $8M for injury replacements - we had lots of injuries last year, so play it safe and comfortable
equals $28M
minus $12M rollover to extend AJ Green or someone else
equals $16M
minus $12M to resign own free agents
equals $4M
minus $4M to sign player cut by other teams we can get on 1 year prove it deals.
equals all used up and Bengals have no cap space to quality free agents from other teams.

There I just wrote Hopson's future article that will be released just before free agency period opens in 2019. I might be off by a million or two here and a million or two there, but overall that's how the Hopson article will read.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 08:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:
...and that's why Mike Brown doesn't give two shits about what the fans think.  Whatever

Exactly

And 60 million in actual cap space = 15 million by Mikey's math
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 08:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Salary cap update for 2019:

Wonder what voodoo will occur to make that money magically disappear with no team improvement.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 08:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly

And 60 million in actual cap space = 15 million by Mikey's math

Yeah, that 15m figure is funny, because Hobson has started the last 4-5 free agency periods in a row by saying that's all they had available. I don't know why he's so stuck on that damn number.  Nervous
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 08:51 PM)McC Wrote: Wonder what voodoo will occur to make that money magically disappear with no team improvement.

You gave me a wonderful idea. Anyone have connections in China to have 50,000 Mike Brown dolls manufactured along with 4 long needles for each doll?

The Mike Brown voodoo doll kit, complete with 4 excellently sharpened needles so you can let Mikey boy know just what you think of his latest incarnation of his father's team. Needles are reusable again and again so you are sure to be satisfied. Only $19.99 plus shipping and handling.

I can see the infomercial now.

Reply/Quote
I honestly have no idea what any of this means.
Reply/Quote
Exactly.  Welfare.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Quote:

Interesting. I don't like it though, because it presumably means Rodgers/Brees/Ryan/etc would be hurting their team less.

The only thing that keeps the Packers/Saints from dominating the NFL year-in-year-out is that their QBs are so greedy that they are crushing the rest of their roster a bit. If you take that away by giving a salary cap to QBs and making it separate from the rest of the roster, then it's really only going to help them. It's part of why the Patriots are always winning. Brady is making $15m/yr, Rodgers is making $33.5m/yr. That means there's an extra $18.5m/yr spent on the other 52 guys for the Patriots.

Teams with crap QBs, or even mediocre/above average QBs wouldn't be helped by this. Would just make even less parity between the haves and have-nots.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 09:03 PM)McC Wrote: Exactly.  Welfare.

According to Forbes, the Bengals brought in 359m in total revenue last year...around 70% of that came from NFL revenue sharing.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 09:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: According to Forbes, the Bengals brought in 359m in total revenue last year...around 70% of that came from NFL revenue sharing.

Despicable.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 09:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: According to Forbes, the Bengals brought in 359m in total revenue last year...around 70% of that came from NFL revenue sharing.

Mikey does nothing to build the brand, nothing ! He just sits and waits on his big fat NFL check and laughs at all of us.
Reply/Quote
Once we re-sign MJ and Dennard...our cap space will be largely ate up.
Reply/Quote
The real problem comes in when you look at profitability. IIRC you basically have to be the Dallas Cowboys to make real money. Most everyone else is in the 10-15 million per year profit club. Now add in that profit and loss looks at things like signing bonuses differently than the cap - that 60 million signing bonus on the 6 year deals may only be $10 million against the cap but it is 60 million off of P & L. Ever wonder why we backload instead of front load deals and are not so enthusiastic about signing bonuses?

Then there is the fact that the Bengals ownership has no other business interests. This is pretty unusual in the NFL, and I think the only other franchise like this is Green Bay. What it means is the club cannot be run at a loss and as a tax write off like a lot of others can be.

This does not excuse the many flaws of ownership, among which are that for people in a resource constrained environment they do not do a good job of prioriotizing where the money needs to go to increase the profitability of the product - create a better product and revenue can go up. But perhaps it sheds a little light on the sometimes strange behavior of ownership.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 10:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: The real problem comes in when you look at profitability. IIRC you basically have to be the Dallas Cowboys to make real money. Most everyone else is in the 10-15 million per year profit club. Now add in that profit and loss looks at things like signing bonuses differently than the cap - that 60 million signing bonus on the 6 year deals may only be $10 million against the cap but it is 60 million off of P & L. Ever wonder why we backload instead of front load deals and are not so enthusiastic about signing bonuses?

Then there is the fact that the Bengals ownership has no other business interests. This is pretty unusual in the NFL, and I think the only other franchise like this is Green Bay. What it means is the club cannot be run at a loss and as a tax write off like a lot of others can be.

This does not excuse the many flaws of ownership, among which are that for people in a resource constrained environment they do not do a good job of prioriotizing where the money needs to go to increase the profitability of the product - create a better product and revenue can go up. But perhaps it sheds a little light on the sometimes strange behavior of ownership.

We have to have one of the plainest stadiums in the NFL.

The Cowboys stadium is about 1000 times more entertainment value. Plus, they host a lot of other events there. We're bland.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 10:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have to have one of the plainest stadiums in the NFL.

The Cowboys stadium is about 1000 times more entertainment value. Plus, they host a lot of other events there. We're bland.

Can't imagine whose idea that was.

Reply/Quote

Coaches and front office people need paid too. Not to mention what gets split amongst the entire Brown Family which is more than just Mike and Katie.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 10:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: The real problem comes in when you look at profitability. IIRC you basically have to be the Dallas Cowboys to make real money. Most everyone else is in the 10-15 million per year profit club. Now add in that profit and loss looks at things like signing bonuses differently than the cap - that 60 million signing bonus on the 6 year deals may only be $10 million against the cap but it is 60 million off of P & L. Ever wonder why we backload instead of front load deals and are not so enthusiastic about signing bonuses?

Over the past decade, the Chiefs would actually be a very similar comparison to the Bengals in terms of team value, yearly revenue, operating profits...and also with their playoff results.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 10:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Over the past decade, the Chiefs would actually be a very similar comparison to the Bengals in terms of team value, yearly revenue, operating profits...and also with their playoff results.  Ninja

The Hunt family are billionaires and run the Chiefs as a hobby. Their fortunes are in (among other industries) energy. 
Reply/Quote