Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019 team and the 2 SB teams......
(07-16-2019, 05:23 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Andy is a top qb,but not a leader.Got to have a leader to win it all and he simply cannot lead anyone.That is not in his DNA.

This just is not true.

Not every good leader wins a Super Bowl.  They have to have the talent.

In college Dalton led TCU to a perfect 13-0 record including a Rose Bowl win over #4 Wisconsin.  They finished #2 in the nation behind Auburn.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 10:29 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Dalton is a great QB. But not playoff or elite status like Brees, Rodgers, Brady, etc. If he wins a playoff game. Then he can get over that hump.

I actually think Dalton is an above average QB and a good leader. He's definitely not as physically talented as the top guys in the league, but he works hard to maximize his talent. His leadership abilities are good.

I wouldn't say he elevates his play in big games too.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 04:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: they did address it... if you weren't watching.

Standing pat after you lose your 1st rounder to injury then your starting LG suddenly retires isn't necessarily addressing it.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Realistically, I don't see a Super Bowl this year. Big reason being the offensive line. We are close to putting a good line out there, but we need these guards to develop this year. And, we need our future LT to develop and get healthy. Our linebackers need to develop too. All our rookies. I just don't see it this year. Next year if we don't lose too many players to free agency we can probably make a run. I do think we'll be entertaining to watch this year, but I really have concerns about the offensive line. Depth-wise, we are screwed if we have a tackle get hurt. We have an abundance of skill players. The hard part is keeping those guys around long enough to get the offensive line fixed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I will say this, Bill Belichek finds a way with lesser players. As bengals fans we are so conditioned into thinking the roster has to be perfect for us to win. Realistically, that has been the case. If Zach turned out to be an amazing coach, maybe that would change the way we evaluate our team. I guess we will wait and see. The year the pats were getting crushed by KC, then came back the next week and smoked us, they had a terrible offensive line. Somehow they made it work, and I think they ended up winning another Super Bowl. Coaching has a huge impact. So it will be interesting to see how good this coaching staff will be. From a roster standpoint, I don't feel confident in calling this a Championship caliber team purely based on the fact that we have zero depth on our offensive line.
Reply/Quote
Belicheck also has a HOF QB. When Brady is hurt, the Patriots don't win SB's.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 12:46 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Realistically, I don't see a Super Bowl this year. Big reason being the offensive line. We are close to putting a good line out there, but we need these guards to develop this year. And, we need our future LT to develop and get healthy. Our linebackers need to develop too. All our rookies. I just don't see it this year. Next year if we don't lose too many players to free agency we can probably make a run. I do think we'll be entertaining to watch this year, but I really have concerns about the offensive line. Depth-wise, we are screwed if we have a tackle get hurt. We have an abundance of skill players. The hard part is keeping those guys around long enough to get the offensive line fixed.

How are we close to putting a Good line out there?

Hart and Glenn were bad tackles last year. Price was Terrible at Center. Miller was in and out of Buffalo's starting lineup due to poor play through his career. And we don't know who the starter will be at the other Guard spot.

We essentially have no starter that I'd look at and call even above average on the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 01:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Belicheck also has a HOF QB. When Brady is hurt, the Patriots don't win SB's.

Talent wise Tom Brady is pretty average. He doesnt have a big arm like Luck, Rivers etc. He doesnt escape pressure like Wilson Mahomes Rodgers etc.

But he is perfect within Bill Belicheck and Josh McDaniels system. Brady is very smart, gets the ball out very quickly, and his coaches help him with great play designs that get people open.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 01:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Talent wise Tom Brady is pretty average. He doesnt have a big arm like Luck, Rivers etc. He doesnt escape pressure like Wilson Mahomes Rodgers etc.

But he is perfect within Bill Belicheck and Josh McDaniels system. Brady is very smart, gets the ball out very quickly, and his coaches help him with great play designs that get people open.

I agree with this.   I felt the same way about Montana.  They are both really smart, mentally tough and extremely competitive.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 09:52 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Standing pat after you lose your 1st rounder to injury then your starting LG suddenly retires isn't necessarily addressing it.

They didn't stand pat.  The signed John Jerry.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 01:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How are we close to putting a Good line out there?

Hart and Glenn were bad tackles last year. Price was Terrible at Center. Miller was in and out of Buffalo's starting lineup due to poor play through his career. And we don't know who the starter will be at the other Guard spot.

We essentially have no starter that I'd look at and call even above average on the offensive line.

I would feel pretty good about our tackles if Jonah wasn't hurt. Next year I'm assuming he won't be hurt. We need to develop our guards a little bit too, and that will just take some coaching and game experience. Next year I'm sure I'll feel better about our guards going into the year--plus, next year we have another draft. I think next year we'll be looking a lot better along the offensive line when you add it all up. This year, we obviously have no depth and a lot of inexperience at guard. Therefore, I don't expect a playoff run this year. I do expect a competitive team, though (based on the skill players we have to work with).

I didn't mean to open up a can of worms by talking about the Patriots. I was just trying to emphasize the impact a really good coach and coaching staff can have, to overcome deficiencies in talent. I am excited to see what Zac has to offer. He could be a really good coach. He could be an average coach. All of this is yet to be determined. It is exciting because we'll be finding out a lot about this coaching staff this year. How well do they make up for deficiencies in talent on the roster? How well do they gameplan and call plays? How successful will they be? They are supposed to be changing the culture and bringing more excitement. I'm wondering if we'll be able to see a light at the end of the tunnel, or if it looks like all this talent is going to be wasted and more mediocrity is to come. I'm trying not to be attached to either outcome. 
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 10:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I actually think Dalton is an above average QB and a good leader. He's definitely not as physically talented as the top guys in the league, but he works hard to maximize his talent. His leadership abilities are good.

I wouldn't say he elevates his play in big games too.

I would agree with this....the last few years, he's been hit and miss in big games....the problem is, when it's a playoff game, he's been miss.  I'm one of the few that thought the Chargers p/o game was a decent game for him, besides the fluke fumble.  Everyone throws an INT or two in the postseason, it's how you bounce back, and how the team rallies.  We rallied by letting Danny Woodside look like Jim Brown, Gio fumbles in the redzone, and AJ drops a TD pass that he would NEVER drop 99.9% of the time.  A comedy of errors, if you will......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We have the pass rushers, QB, WR, secondary, TE, and RB to win it all. When healthy I think all those units are top 10 units. With that being said the LB core and offensive line are both bottom 5 units there improvement or lack of will determine where this team ends up.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 03:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They didn't stand pat.  The signed John Jerry.

Yea you're right, I totally forgot about the 33 year old guy who didn't play at all last year, but was once alongside Bobby Hart in probably one of the worst offensive lines in Giants history. Thanks Fred for putting my mind at ease.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote