Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019 team and the 2 SB teams......
not saying this is a team ready for the 2020
SB.
but does this current roster along with coaches
have anything in common on the surface and beyond
with those Gregg/ Wyche led teams?
Im talking talent wise and culture wise.
discuss.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2019, 11:21 AM)impactplaya Wrote: not saying this is a team ready for the 2020
SB.
discuss.

I think we had better overall talent in the  Wyche team and the player chemistry was there. There was still some drama but got the job done.
Reply/Quote
LOL

Ummmmm

If making an All-Star team from all three rosters('81, '88, '19) I'd definitely take AJ and probably Geno and then cut the rest from '19, so, NO, there isn't anything in common with those teams other than Mike Brown and playing in Cincinnati.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
If this staff can discipline and motivate like the Wyche, the sky is the limit. But, come to think of it, football has changed drastically since then. Then we had hard nosed coaches and players. Now we have coaches who have to be careful they dont hurt players feelings and players are "Primetime" instead of grit. Big difference so not really sure they are comparable?

An NFL team can quickly become a plague when the players run the show, and it does happen (playoff loss 2015). All we can hope for is a coach that doesnt tolerate BS and hold all accountable. Also need assistant coaches that can bring out the best of talent in their players. Do we have the staff? Well, time will tell because basically, this team is a mystery. Can these guys make it work? I think they can, but that's just speculation just as much as the fan who thinks the team is trash I guess.

As far as talent goes, we have talent. Yet, its aging talent. It's a guess what we are going to get production and injury wise. We have young talent in several areas as well which could pan out (with a lot of hopes on Mixon continuing badassness). Jury was in on Ross but he filed an appeal so its a wait and see. Our current players don't hold a torch when compared to Wyche era players when it comes to toughness. Heck, player stubs a toe hes out 6 weeks. That didn't happen back then. Player gets a headache, he's out for concussion protocol. That didn't happen back then either (ok, bad example because I do care about player health).

AAAAAAAAAaaanyway, to actually answer the question in the OP, I think 2020 will show Bengal fans what they needed for awhile, despite the record and that will be fight and a new game-plan we are not used to. Playing 4 qtrs because the game isnt over till its over. I think we will see a desire to win and a coach that takes responsibility for a loss instead of blaming it on the players. Hopefully getting back to the culture that helped us win in the playoffs will come with this team. But here's the million dollar question. If all this is to happen, doesnt Mike Brown have to give power to the HC? That will be the big difference here. Give ZT what it takes to win NOW, or keep planning for a future you haven't obtained in your tenure as owner. He seems to be the trump card in all of this. I try to hope with the ZT hiring he has turned a corner. Yet, we will see.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Did our last 2 Super Bowl teams have bad offensive lines and LBs?
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2019, 06:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Did our last 2 Super Bowl teams have bad offensive lines and LBs?

If they suited up today they'd suck.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2019, 06:29 PM)jason Wrote: If they suited up today they'd suck.

Or would they? Hmm

Reply/Quote
This team isn't doing anything until it addresses its offensive line. It will plague us again until they fix it.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 12:42 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This team isn't doing anything until it addresses its offensive line. It will plague us again until they fix it.

Your probably right. But I'm interested in seeing what the new coaching staff does to help them play better.

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 01:30 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your probably right. But I'm interested in seeing what the new coaching staff does to help them play better.

I don't think coaching can help a guy like Hart get better. Frank Pollack is a pretty good coach and couldn't get the guy to play better. We keep throwing Hart out there were going to see the same results.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 06:40 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don't think coaching can help a guy like Hart get better. Frank Pollack is a pretty good coach and couldn't get the guy to play better. We keep throwing Hart out there were going to see the same results.

Interesting. Didn’t quite view it that way. BUT! Let’s see what they can do. He’s ours for awhile. First few games will tell us all.

Reply/Quote
Only if Dalton can have an Anderson or Boomeresque type season and the defense returns.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2019, 11:21 AM)impactplaya Wrote: not saying this is a team ready for the 2020
SB.
discuss.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but those teams had superb OLs and MVP QBs. They also had stud FBs who ran for more than 1,000 and the RBs were good receivers.

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2019, 06:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Or would they? Hmm

They probably would cuz they'd be way too old  LMAO
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 01:08 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but those teams had superb OLs and MVP QBs.

That is easy to say with hindsight, but the '81 Bengals were going into the season with a starting QB who had thrown over twice as many ints (13) as tds (6) the year before and finished 24th in passer rating.  In fact over the previous three seasons Anderson had lost twice as many games as he won (13-26) and despite missing 9 starts over that span he was the 5th most sacked QB in the league.  Fans would have laughed in the face of anyone who referred to Anderson as an "MVP" QB.  He had been in the league 9 years and never won a playoff game. 

The '88 Bengals also had a QB coming off a losing season (3-9) where he had thrown more ints than tds and finished 18th in passer rating (with just 28 teams in the league).  Boomer had a losing career record as a starter (23-26) and had never made the playoffs.  Again, no one would have called him an "MVP QB".
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That is easy to say with hindsight, but the '81 Bengals were going into the season with a starting QB who had thrown over twice as many ints (13) as tds (6) the year before and finished 24th in passer rating.  In fact over the previous three seasons Anderson had lost twice as many games as he won (13-26) and despite missing 9 starts over that span he was the 5th most sacked QB in the league.  Fans would have laughed in the face of anyone who referred to Anderson as an "MVP" QB.  He had been in the league 9 years and never won a playoff game. 

The '88 Bengals also had a QB coming off a losing season (3-9) where he had thrown more ints than tds and finished 18th in passer rating (with just 28 teams in the league).  Boomer had a losing career record as a starter (23-26) and had never made the playoffs.  Again, no one would have called him an "MVP QB".

Well, then maybe Dalton will become an MVP QB this year!

Reply/Quote
Dalton is a great QB. But not playoff or elite status like Brees, Rodgers, Brady, etc. If he wins a playoff game. Then he can get over that hump.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 10:29 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Dalton is a great QB. But not playoff or elite status like Brees, Rodgers, Brady, etc. If he wins a playoff game. Then he can get over that hump.

I'd call him above average...and that's with him surrounded with a HOF WR in AJ Green and generally good #2 WR's and TE's and RB's.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 12:42 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This team isn't doing anything until it addresses its offensive line. It will plague us again until they fix it.

they did address it... if you weren't watching.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 01:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd call him above average...and that's with him surrounded with a HOF WR in AJ Green and generally good #2 WR's and TE's and RB's.

I personally will not be happy unless this franchise wins a superbowl and soon,I have watched this show for 50 years,I want a superbowl win and a ring.Nothing else matters,A playoff win is a start,and I do not feel as if we have a team here good enough to win it all,close for sure,but need a better offensive line and a better QB,I like Dalton,but he is not a superbowl qb.They are extremely hard to find.Andy is a top qb,but not a leader.Got to have a leader to win it all and he simply cannot lead anyone.That is not in his DNA.And that is a HUGE problem.All natural born leaders are the ones that win,like a Tom Brady.Hard to find.When our mighty Bengals win it all,then I will be happy and proud for them,until then,they are just another team WANTING to win,but maybe,just maybe ZT can pull it off sooner than later. :andy: ThumbsUp Glad Marvin has moved on,he was terrible to the media and had lost his way here.
Reply/Quote