Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 - A new beginning
(10-31-2019, 12:59 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Yeah I dunno. I'm also open to the idea of not re-signing him it is just...we have nothing at the position. It isn't that crazy to think he'll continue to improve the longer he plays. I'm not saying he's good but relative to what we have now...

Vigil is in his 4th year. Usually players don't blossom after their 4th year. That usually happens by Year 3 or 4. If Vigil was the first LB off the bench in a VRey role, that might be ok, but I'd bet he'd be a starter if he is re-signed.

The Bengals need to move on from Vigil and make Preston Brown the first LB off the bench, as neither are worthy of starting.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:45 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: SMH u lost all cred talking about resigning Nick Vigil.  good bye

Why?
Vigil is a decent 4-3 LB, he's not good in a 5-2 for sure. Too much responsibility.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 09:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: After seeing Mike Brown's quote yesterday about how the Bengals are not in the business of helping other teams get better, I think it all comes down to pure philosophical approach with this organization. It's their franchise and they want to operate it the way they want.

They believe, for better or worse, that the way to being a perennial contender is through draft and development. For the positions who don't have drafted players ready to start yet, the Bengals will bring in serviceable starters to fill that void until they get a drafted player ready to take over.

This puts a lot of emphasis and pressure on the Bengals to draft the right players and have a talented enough coaching staff to develop those players. But even then, the challenge becomes retaining those players once they hit FA or convincing them to stay prior to hitting FA.

Mike Brown puts a huge price on loyalty and overvalues his players, so that's why he typically keeps players around longer than they probably should be at times. This includes bringing underperforming players back to the team when many fans think they shouldn't be brought back (e.g. Maualuga, Hart, etc).

EDIT - Part of the reason of calling this mock "A new beginning" though was because it was about a change in approach/philosophy.

He might as well have said were not in the business of making our team better either.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 05:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Prepare to no longer see AJ Green and Tyler Eifert on this roster. The Bengals have a great opportunity with the amount of cap they should have and can free up that they could (keyword) go get a nice crop of upper-tier FAs like the Rams did a few years ago and kick off this rebuild properly.
Here's a way I would go about it...

Cap - $58.7 mill (+$10-12 mill in rollover = $70 mill)

Release:
Andy Dalton ($17.7 mill)
Cordy Glenn ($9.5 mill)
Preston Brown ($4 mill 2020, $5 mill 2021)
Randy Bullock ($1.6 mill)
-----------------------------
$102.8 mill in cap space

Re-sign:
Trey Hopkins – 3 years, $21 mill (Give more if needed to keep)
Andrew Billings – 3 years, $18 mill (Give more if needed to keep)
--------------------------
$89.8 mill remaining

FA:
Cory Littleton, LB LAR (3 years, $45 mill) – Rangy Pro Bowl LB who is entering his prime.
Shaq Thompson, LB CAR (3 years, $30 mill) – Another rangy LB who is entering his prime. Thompson and Littleton would be staples of this defense for (at least) the next few years.
Anthony Castonzo, LT IND (3 years, $45 mill) – They need a proven OT starter. I’d like Bulaga if Castonzo doesn’t hit FA but not for the same contract.
Amari Cooper, WR DAL (4 years, $72 mill) – The Bengals have shown willingness to spend on WR. Go get that elite WR to replace AJ Green since Ross isn’t reliable enough yet.
Greg Zuerlein, K LAR (3 years, $15 mill) – Finally the Bengals get a kicker with a big leg.
-----------------------------------------
$26.8 mill remaining

Plenty of cap to sign all the above and it would be the equivalent of what the Rams did when McVay came in.  Even if the Bengals only got a couple of these guys, it’d be a big improvement.

Draft:
1)Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama – A new franchise QB who is incredibly accurate, decisive, and can scramble to extend plays. Tagovailoa is arguably the safest QB in the draft.

2)Tristan Wirfs, OT Iowa – OT replacement for Bobby Hart, pushing Hart to the bench where he belongs.

3)Evan Weaver, LB Cal – Came to Cal as a DE but converted to LB and has been a monster all over the field since last season. With Littleton, Thompson, and Pratt all ahead of him, it would allow Weaver more time to refine his talents while contributing periodically in all facets of the defense.

4)Logan Stenberg, OG Kentucky –Stenberg is a great option at OG who can drive off the ball and provide good pass protection.

5)Quartney Davis, WR Texas A&M – This is a deep WR class, so taking a WR this late should be better than most years. Davis is a good route runner with quickness that will be great to pair with Tua and complement Cooper, Boyd, and Ross.

6)Josh Metellus, S Michigan – Safety depth. Good size, could play either spot.

7)Jace Whittaker, CB Arizona – CB depth. Dude seems to be blossoming into a ball hawk. Should have good speed too (sub-4.5).

This, I believe, would set up the offense for the next few years and allow the focus to be put on the DL and DBs in 2021 offseason.

I don't think they simply have to release Dalton and Glenn. There should be some trade value there. I think Dalton could possibly bring a 3rd rounder and Glenn a 4th-5th rounder.

Now with AJ, the question is, assuming they aren't going to work out a long term deal, the question is do you franchise tag him and then try to deal him? They can't just let him walk in my opinion without seeing what they can get for him. If someone offered a 2nd round pick for him I would jump all over it. A 2nd rounder would be better than the comp pick they would get.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 12:51 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I don't think they simply have to release Dalton and Glenn. There should be some trade value there. I think Dalton could possibly bring a 3rd rounder and Glenn a 4th-5th rounder.

Now with AJ, the question is, assuming they aren't going to work out a long term deal, the question is do you franchise tag him and then try to deal him? They can't just let him walk in my opinion without seeing what they can get for him. If someone offered a 2nd round pick for him I would jump all over it. A 2nd rounder would be better than the comp pick they would get.

I didn't want to factor in any hypothetical trades since the Bengals really only make trades when they get overcompensation for their players because they overvalue their worth. 

But yes, I agree, try to trade if you can, but consider releasing if unable.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 05:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Prepare to no longer see AJ Green and Tyler Eifert on this roster. The Bengals have a great opportunity with the amount of cap they should have and can free up that they could (keyword) go get a nice crop of upper-tier FAs like the Rams did a few years ago and kick off this rebuild properly.

Release:
Andy Dalton ($17.7 mill)
Cordy Glenn ($9.5 mill)
$102.8 mill in cap space

Re-sign:
$89.8 mill remaining

FA:
Cory Littleton, LB LAR (3 years, $45 mill) – Rangy Pro Bowl LB who is entering his prime.
Shaq Thompson, LB CAR (3 years, $30 mill) – Another rangy LB who is entering his prime. Thompson and Littleton would be staples of this defense for (at least) the next few years.
Anthony Castonzo, LT IND (3 years, $45 mill) – They need a proven OT starter. I’d like Bulaga if Castonzo doesn’t hit FA but not for the same contract.
Amari Cooper, WR DAL (4 years, $72 mill) – The Bengals have shown willingness to spend on WR. Go get that elite WR to replace AJ Green since Ross isn’t reliable enough yet.
Greg Zuerlein, K LAR (3 years, $15 mill) – Finally the Bengals get a kicker with a big leg.
$26.8 mill remaining

Plenty of cap to sign all the above and it would be the equivalent of what the Rams did when McVay came in.  Even if the Bengals only got a couple of these guys, it’d be a big improvement.

Draft:
1)Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama – A new franchise QB who is incredibly accurate, decisive, and can scramble to extend plays. Tagovailoa is arguably the safest QB in the draft.

2)Tristan Wirfs, OT Iowa – OT replacement for Bobby Hart, pushing Hart to the bench where he belongs.

3)Evan Weaver, LB Cal – Came to Cal as a DE but converted to LB and has been a monster all over the field since last season. With Littleton, Thompson, and Pratt all ahead of him, it would allow Weaver more time to refine his talents while contributing periodically in all facets of the defense.

4)Logan Stenberg, OG Kentucky –Stenberg is a great option at OG who can drive off the ball and provide good pass protection.

5)Quartney Davis, WR Texas A&M – This is a deep WR class, so taking a WR this late should be better than most years. Davis is a good route runner with quickness that will be great to pair with Tua and complement Cooper, Boyd, and Ross.

7)Jace Whittaker, CB Arizona – CB depth. Dude seems to be blossoming into a ball hawk. Should have good speed too (sub-4.5).

This, I believe, would set up the offense for the next few years and allow the focus to be put on the DL and DBs in 2021 offseason.

While I like the outside FA, I just don't see those dollar amounts being realistic, at least for us. Cooper will get over $20 mil a year if he hits the open market.  We would have to make him the highest paid WR in the league to land him.  We would probably have to offer Littleton a Mosely type deal to get him in stripes.  The deal you have for Costanzo would probably be around what it will take to get Bulaga based on what James and Brown got this past off-season.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2019, 02:08 PM)Whatever Wrote: While I like the outside FA, I just don't see those dollar amounts being realistic, at least for us. Cooper will get over $20 mil a year if he hits the open market.  We would have to make him the highest paid WR in the league to land him.  We would probably have to offer Littleton a Mosely type deal to get him in stripes.  The deal you have for Costanzo would probably be around what it will take to get Bulaga based on what James and Brown got this past off-season.

I tried to predict realistic numbers but you're right, it still could be too low.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I saw ur FA and just hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 08:36 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why?
Vigil is a decent 4-3 LB, he's not good in a 5-2 for sure. Too much responsibility.

Vigil is a back up linebacker at best regardless of scheme. And don’t give me a his tackle stat either. Amount of tackles or the most misleading stat line probably in football. Vigil is garbage and it pains me to see a bengals fan wanting to resign him
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 04:42 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I saw ur FA and just hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

Umm, you commented on this mock over a month ago. You didn't see it then?
Also, why the rude "hahahahaha"?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Release:
Andy Dalton ($17.7 mill)
Cordy Glenn ($9.5 mill)
$102.8 mill in cap space

Re-sign:
$89.8 mill remaining

FA:
$26.8 mill remaining

Draft:

Some holes here:
Try to trade Dalton and Glenn, also toss in Dre.
With that extra money, no need to sit on it, go get Chris Harris Jr/Jimmy Smith/Logan Ryan/Ronald Darby

Also you signed Castonzo and drafted Wirfs?  Did you forget about Jamal Wiliams?
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 04:26 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Some holes here:
Try to trade Dalton and Glenn, also toss in Dre.
With that extra money, no need to sit on it, go get Chris Harris Jr/Jimmy Smith/Logan Ryan/Ronald Darby

Also you signed Castonzo and drafted Wirfs?  Did you forget about Jamal Wiliams?

I didn't care to factor in any trades because I know the Bengals greatly overvalue their players. So I thought the easy thing to do would be just release them to free up the cap. But I agree, trade if possible.

As for Castonzo and Wirfs, I see Castonzo as LT and Wirfs as RT or OG. If Bengals got both, I'd do Castonzo at LT, Jonah Williams at LG, Wirfs at RT. Or flip Williams and Wirfs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Release:
Andy Dalton ($17.7 mill)
Cordy Glenn ($9.5 mill)
$102.8 mill in cap space

Re-sign:
$89.8 mill remaining

FA:
$26.8 mill remaining

Draft:

Agree with the players you release (except Bullock...doesn't save much, keep as insurance...draft competition, fine, but hang on to him for now), and the ones you retain.  However, I would not sign a FA LT when we have Jonah Williams in the fold.  Maybe a top G, but not a LT.  Ditto Amari Cooper because I believe in this draft class and there will be a ton of WR talent in the 2nd and 3rd round, even later.  I like the basis of Ross, Boyd, and Tate, but need more speed outside to play the Z (Green's spot).  

You probably did this post pre-Tua's injury, and that is understandable.  Unless OSU shows all kinds of decision under fire flaws that no one else has been able to do (although in all fairness, he hasn't played the best defenses just yet), Burrow will likely be the top QB taken.  

The only way I see them not taking Burrow is if Dalton snaps off a few late season wins with Ross and AJ returning, and then maybe they get Young?  Who knows.  

I like the rest of the draft that you laid out.  
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 09:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agree with the players you release (except Bullock...doesn't save much, keep as insurance...draft competition, fine, but hang on to him for now), and the ones you retain.  However, I would not sign a FA LT when we have Jonah Williams in the fold.  Maybe a top G, but not a LT.  Ditto Amari Cooper because I believe in this draft class and there will be a ton of WR talent in the 2nd and 3rd round, even later.  I like the basis of Ross, Boyd, and Tate, but need more speed outside to play the Z (Green's spot).  

You probably did this post pre-Tua's injury, and that is understandable.  Unless OSU shows all kinds of decision under fire flaws that no one else has been able to do (although in all fairness, he hasn't played the best defenses just yet), Burrow will likely be the top QB taken.  

The only way I see them not taking Burrow is if Dalton snaps off a few late season wins with Ross and AJ returning, and then maybe they get Young?  Who knows.  

I like the rest of the draft that you laid out.  

FA LT was to bring in a sure thing since we don't know how well and/or fast Williams will acclimate to LT. I'd be ok with a G or RT instead of a LT but I figured Bengals have the cap space so may as well go big.
I also see your point on Cooper but honestly the Bengals are probably going to extend AJ Green at this point so in that case Cooper doesn't make sense.

I really think they need to prioritize LB in FA this coming offseason. There should be some good ones. I think Littleton is the ideal candidate, as I don't see the Rams having the cap space to keep him due to all the money they've put toward Donald, Gurley, Cooks, Ramsey, and Goff.

As you guessed, this mock was done nearly two months ago, well before Tua's injury and also before Burrow really continued playing well enough to make me think he was actually in the running for top QB.

At this point, I want Burrow over Young but I also really do like Young. But the problem I see with going Young is this team desperately needs some good OTs and I don't see this draft class having good, NFL-ready options into the 3rd round or later. So therefore, if they take Young in Rd 1 and OT in Rd 2, that would mean no QB until Rd 3. Not sure the Bengals can wait that long.

IMO, take QB and OT this year, take DE early in 2021 draft, as Lawson will be a FA in 2021 and Dunlap will enter his final year that year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 05:12 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Wirfs is gonna be a top 10-15 pick.

Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . and Murray won’t go in the first round and Mahomes is a fourth round pick at best. Your draft projection card has been revoked. Remember?
Reply/Quote

Release:
Andy Dalton ($17.7 mill)
Cordy Glenn ($9.5 mill)
$102.8 mill in cap space

Re-sign:
$89.8 mill remaining

FA:
$26.8 mill remaining

Draft:

The thought was good but if MB signs a free agent, including his own, he will pay the bulk of the guaranteed money up front . There goes the cap space you plan on. Using the money to improve the team isn't his modus operandi. When he resigned Atkins and Dunlap he paid the bulk of the guaranteed  money upfront and ignored the other needs which would have helped the Bengals be more competitive in 2018. If you believe he will suddenly change you are going to be sadly mistaken.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 10:46 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The thought was good but if MB signs a free agent, including his own, he will pay the bulk of the guaranteed money up front . There goes the cap space you plan on. Using the money to improve the team isn't his modus operandi. When he resigned Atkins and Dunlap he paid the bulk of the guaranteed  money upfront and ignored the other needs which would have helped the Bengals be more competitive in 2018. If you believe he will suddenly change you are going to be sadly mistaken.

Thanks for input.
I actually agree with you, and I apologize if I made it seem like I thought the Bengals would actually go this route.
This was my attempt at trying to be the Front Office, as I think this is what's necessary to get the team back to being a contender again.
If Mike Brown and the FO are unwilling to change their approach to FA, then this mock is basically useless from a FA perspective.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 10:46 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The thought was good but if MB signs a free agent, including his own, he will pay the bulk of the guaranteed money up front . There goes the cap space you plan on. Using the money to improve the team isn't his modus operandi. When he resigned Atkins and Dunlap he paid the bulk of the guaranteed  money upfront and ignored the other needs which would have helped the Bengals be more competitive in 2018. If you believe he will suddenly change you are going to be sadly mistaken.

Guaranteed money and the salary cap hit are two different animals. Like a signing bonus, for example of $20 million on a four year deal. The $20 million is paid up front in a lump sum and the cap hit is $5 million each year for all four years of the contract.

Plus you can set up guaranteed roster bonuses to spread out the cap hit over the life of the contract. So your point is moot.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 10:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Thanks for input.
I actually agree with you, and I apologize if I made it seem like I thought the Bengals would actually go this route.
This was my attempt at trying to be the Front Office, as I think this is what's necessary to get the team back to being a contender again.
If Mike Brown and the FO are unwilling to change their approach to FA, then this mock is basically useless from a FA perspective.

I know it is the only hope a Bengal fan has but MB only cares that he and the rest of the Bengals owners make a certain amount of profit yearly. If he signs a few free agents and it puts more butts in the stands but it costs him money in the long run, guess what , he doesn't care about wins as much as he does about money. We just have to accept it. Any one who has watched other teams do what it takes to put the very best product on the field and knows what MB does shouldn't be too optimistic .
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 02:28 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I know it is the only hope a Bengal fan has but MB only cares that he and the rest of the Bengals owners make a certain amount of profit yearly. If he signs a few free agents and it puts more butts in the stands but it costs him money in the long run, guess what , he doesn't care about wins as much as he does about money. We just have to accept it. Any one who has watched other teams do what it takes to put the very best product on the field and knows what MB does shouldn't be too optimistic .

I get that, but this is the Mock Drafts section.
Plenty of people who post Mock Drafts in here don't only make ones that they think the Bengals will actually do.
Sometimes, this is our only source of optimism lol.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote