Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 pick 2020 draft
The Bengals badly need to hit a 5 run homerun with their 1st round pick. They've been striking out for way to long !

2015 Cedric Ogbuehi #21 = bust no longer with team

2016 William Jackson III #24 = had a great 2nd season but has fizzled quite a bit. Let's hope he recovers. Missed entire rookie season injured.

2017 John Ross #9 = hate to say it but has bust written all over him. Serious injury history

2018 Billy Price #21 = has contributed little up to now, let's hope he doesn't fizzle out. Has had some injury issues.

2019 Jonah Williams #11 = hasn't taken a snap yet, injury bug again.

So as far as production on the field from the last five first round draft picks on a scale of 1-10 the Bengals have a rating of like 1.275 and that's because of one good year from Jackson III.

For a team that relies so heavily on the draft you just can't whiff like this on 1st round picks. This is why they just can't roll the dice on Tua they can't ! I don't care how cleared he is by medical staff it's just to big a risk for a team in this position.

The Bengals desperately need to kill this draft ! They're in no position to gamble.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Having a top 2 pick would go a long way to ensuring we get a difference maker. I don’t think you can go wrong with Burrow or Young.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 10:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Bengals badly need to hit a 5 run homerun with their 1st round pick. They've been striking out for way to long !

2015 Cedric Ogbuehi #21 = bust no longer with team

2016 William Jackson III #24 = had a great 2nd season but has fizzled quite a bit. Let's hope he recovers. Missed entire rookie season injured.

2017 John Ross #9 = hate to say it but has bust written all over him. Serious injury history

2018 Billy Price #21 = has contributed little up to now, let's hope he doesn't fizzle out. Has had some injury issues.

2019 Jonah Williams #11 = hasn't taken a snap yet, injury bug again.

So as far as production on the field from the last five first round draft picks on a scale of 1-10 the Bengals have a rating of like 1.275 and that's because of one good year from Jackson III.

For a team that relies so heavily on the draft you just can't whiff like this on 1st round picks. This is why they just can't roll the dice on Tua they can't ! I don't care how cleared he is by medical staff it's just to big a risk for a team in this position.

The Bengals desperately need to kill this draft ! They're in no position to gamble.

Toss in the Day 2 picks and it gets real concerning:
2015 - Jake Fisher (no longer with team), Tyler Kroft (no longer with team), Paul Dawson (no longer with team)
2016 - Boyd (developed into good WR2 in Year 3), Vigil (meh, could be good as 3rd LB but not better than that)
2017 - Joe Mixon (underutilized but very good), Jordan Willis (no longer with team)
2018 - Bates (good last year but declined this year), Sam Hubbard (steady solid DE like MJ was for years), Malik Jefferson (no longer with team)
2019 - Drew Sample (lolwut), Germaine Pratt (seems to be improving but hasn't been consistently good yet)

Out of those 12, you got 3-4 "good" ones in Boyd, Mixon, Hubbard, and maybe Bates (we'll see if he returns to 2018 form).
Then you have some meh-level contributors in Vigil and Kroft but Kroft left as soon as he hit FA. Pratt so far is a meh-level but he's trending upward.
Dawson, Fisher, Willis, Jefferson never really contributed anything of worth and Sample hasn't really done anything yet either.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 03:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Toss in the Day 2 picks and it gets real concerning:
2015 - Jake Fisher (no longer with team), Tyler Kroft (no longer with team), Paul Dawson (no longer with team)
2016 - Boyd (developed into good WR2 in Year 3), Vigil (meh, could be good as 3rd LB but not better than that)
2017 - Joe Mixon (underutilized but very good), Jordan Willis (no longer with team)
2018 - Bates (good last year but declined this year), Sam Hubbard (steady solid DE like MJ was for years), Malik Jefferson (no longer with team)
2019 - Drew Sample (lolwut), Germaine Pratt (seems to be improving but hasn't been consistently good yet)

Out of those 12, you got 3-4 "good" ones in Boyd, Mixon, Hubbard, and maybe Bates (we'll see if he returns to 2018 form).
Then you have some meh-level contributors in Vigil and Kroft but Kroft left as soon as he hit FA. Pratt so far is a meh-level but he's trending upward.
Dawson, Fisher, Willis, Jefferson never really contributed anything of worth and Sample hasn't really done anything yet either.

Yep, it's like a 25% hit rate. Again for a team that relies so heavily on the draft you just can't miss that much in the top rounds of the draft.

We drastically need a draft for the record books. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning Burrow. Our offense has been bad for several seasons now. We don't have to play him right from the jump.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 04:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, it's like a 25% hit rate. Again for a team that relies so heavily on the draft you just can't miss that much in the top rounds of the draft.

We drastically need a draft for the record books. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning Burrow. Our offense has been bad for several seasons now. We don't have to play him right from the jump.

I forget the exact stat but the Average "hit" rate for first rounders is over 56% and the Bengals are significantly less  through out the draft process.  Some of it is due to small and incompetent scouting department and some if not most is due to decision making process involving Mike Brown.  Marvin Lewis improved this but I was not able to wean his influences from general results over the last 3 decades or there about.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote