Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 - A new beginning
Prepare to no longer see AJ Green and Tyler Eifert on this roster. The Bengals have a great opportunity with the amount of cap they should have and can free up that they could (keyword) go get a nice crop of upper-tier FAs like the Rams did a few years ago and kick off this rebuild properly.
Here's a way I would go about it...

Cap - $58.7 mill (+$10-12 mill in rollover = $70 mill)

Release:
Andy Dalton ($17.7 mill)
Cordy Glenn ($9.5 mill)
Preston Brown ($4 mill 2020, $5 mill 2021)
Randy Bullock ($1.6 mill)
-----------------------------
$102.8 mill in cap space

Re-sign:
Trey Hopkins – 3 years, $21 mill (Give more if needed to keep)
Andrew Billings – 3 years, $18 mill (Give more if needed to keep)
--------------------------
$89.8 mill remaining

FA:
Cory Littleton, LB LAR (3 years, $45 mill) – Rangy Pro Bowl LB who is entering his prime.
Shaq Thompson, LB CAR (3 years, $30 mill) – Another rangy LB who is entering his prime. Thompson and Littleton would be staples of this defense for (at least) the next few years.
Anthony Castonzo, LT IND (3 years, $45 mill) – They need a proven OT starter. I’d like Bulaga if Castonzo doesn’t hit FA but not for the same contract.
Amari Cooper, WR DAL (4 years, $72 mill) – The Bengals have shown willingness to spend on WR. Go get that elite WR to replace AJ Green since Ross isn’t reliable enough yet.
Greg Zuerlein, K LAR (3 years, $15 mill) – Finally the Bengals get a kicker with a big leg.
-----------------------------------------
$26.8 mill remaining

Plenty of cap to sign all the above and it would be the equivalent of what the Rams did when McVay came in.  Even if the Bengals only got a couple of these guys, it’d be a big improvement.

Draft:
1)Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama – A new franchise QB who is incredibly accurate, decisive, and can scramble to extend plays. Tagovailoa is arguably the safest QB in the draft.

2)Tristan Wirfs, OT Iowa – OT replacement for Bobby Hart, pushing Hart to the bench where he belongs.

3)Evan Weaver, LB Cal – Came to Cal as a DE but converted to LB and has been a monster all over the field since last season. With Littleton, Thompson, and Pratt all ahead of him, it would allow Weaver more time to refine his talents while contributing periodically in all facets of the defense.

4)Logan Stenberg, OG Kentucky –Stenberg is a great option at OG who can drive off the ball and provide good pass protection.

5)Quartney Davis, WR Texas A&M – This is a deep WR class, so taking a WR this late should be better than most years. Davis is a good route runner with quickness that will be great to pair with Tua and complement Cooper, Boyd, and Ross.

6)Josh Metellus, S Michigan – Safety depth. Good size, could play either spot.

7)Jace Whittaker, CB Arizona – CB depth. Dude seems to be blossoming into a ball hawk. Should have good speed too (sub-4.5).

This, I believe, would set up the offense for the next few years and allow the focus to be put on the DL and DBs in 2021 offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 05:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Prepare to no longer see AJ Green and Tyler Eifert on this roster. The Bengals have a great opportunity with the amount of cap they should have and can free up that they could (keyword) go get a nice crop of upper-tier FAs like the Rams did a few years ago and kick off this rebuild properly.
Here's a way I would go about it...

Cap - $58.7 mill (+$10-12 mill in rollover = $70 mill)

Release:
Andy Dalton ($17.7 mill)
Cordy Glenn ($9.5 mill)
Preston Brown ($4 mill 2020, $5 mill 2021)
Randy Bullock ($1.6 mill)
-----------------------------
$102.8 mill in cap space

Re-sign:
Trey Hopkins – 3 years, $21 mill (Give more if needed to keep)
Andrew Billings – 3 years, $18 mill (Give more if needed to keep)
--------------------------
$89.8 mill remaining

FA:
Cory Littleton, LB LAR (3 years, $45 mill) – Rangy Pro Bowl LB who is entering his prime.
Shaq Thompson, LB CAR (3 years, $30 mill) – Another rangy LB who is entering his prime. Thompson and Littleton would be staples of this defense for (at least) the next few years.
Anthony Castonzo, LT IND (3 years, $45 mill) – They need a proven OT starter. I’d like Bulaga if Castonzo doesn’t hit FA but not for the same contract.
Amari Cooper, WR DAL (4 years, $72 mill) – The Bengals have shown willingness to spend on WR. Go get that elite WR to replace AJ Green since Ross isn’t reliable enough yet.
Greg Zuerlein, K LAR (3 years, $15 mill) – Finally the Bengals get a kicker with a big leg.
-----------------------------------------
$26.8 mill remaining

Plenty of cap to sign all the above and it would be the equivalent of what the Rams did when McVay came in.  Even if the Bengals only got a couple of these guys, it’d be a big improvement.

Draft:
1)Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama – A new franchise QB who is incredibly accurate, decisive, and can scramble to extend plays. Tagovailoa is arguably the safest QB in the draft.

2)Tristan Wirfs, OT Iowa – OT replacement for Bobby Hart, pushing Hart to the bench where he belongs.

3)Evan Weaver, LB Cal – Came to Cal as a DE but converted to LB and has been a monster all over the field since last season. With Littleton, Thompson, and Pratt all ahead of him, it would allow Weaver more time to refine his talents while contributing periodically in all facets of the defense.

4)Logan Stenberg, OG Kentucky –Stenberg is a great option at OG who can drive off the ball and provide good pass protection.

5)Quartney Davis, WR Texas A&M – This is a deep WR class, so taking a WR this late should be better than most years. Davis is a good route runner with quickness that will be great to pair with Tua and complement Cooper, Boyd, and Ross.

6)Josh Metellus, S Michigan – Safety depth. Good size, could play either spot.

7)Jace Whittaker, CB Arizona – CB depth. Dude seems to be blossoming into a ball hawk. Should have good speed too (sub-4.5).

This, I believe, would set up the offense for the next few years and allow the focus to be put on the DL and DBs in 2021 offseason.

I love this!  Littleton is my fav

Give me Burrow or death but not both... Nervous

Take a long look at Austin Jackson OT USC.  He is amazing.  Reminds me of Big Willie.  I love the kicker.  Stenberg....Not sure about Weaver.  I will have to research backers..
You are hired!
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
To be honest I don't see all of those guys hitting free agents but if this would happen it be awesome.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Just to be nitpicking i would go ahead and cut Hart and sign/draft a TE. other than that absolutely perfect
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:25 AM)showstoppa Wrote: Just to be nitpicking i would go ahead and cut Hart and sign/draft a TE. other than that absolutely perfect

I ran out of draft picks, as the Bengals aren't expected to get any comp picks. I also don't want them trading back to accumulate more picks, at least not on Day 1 or Day 2. But I agree, another TE will be needed since I expect Eifert to not be on the team next year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Wirfs is gonna be a top 10-15 pick.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 05:12 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Wirfs is gonna be a top 10-15 pick.

Could be, but I'm seeing him projected in the 2nd round on multiple sites right now.
You know I never do just one mock, especially not this early.
Will constantly adjust as I see projections change.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 05:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Could be, but I'm seeing him projected in the 2nd round on multiple sites right now.
You know I never do just one mock, especially not this early.
Will constantly adjust as I see projections change.

Gotcha. Yeah all I’ve seen is top 10. He’s going too 10 on draft networks which I hold in the highest regard. We’ll see but I could see a team like giants or jags grabbing him high early
Reply/Quote
Some good ideas and I like the draft. My only complaint is it seems like we're overpaying Andrew Billings, who will probably get around 3.5 million a year for three years. Trey could probably be had for 6 million a year but that is less of a gap.

With the unspent money (~$30 mil) I'd spend $10 mill to re-sign:

Nick Vigil (I know we don't love him but he's been solid and could still contribute with upgrades all around him)
Brandon Wilson (he just had that Kick Return for a TD)
Josh Tupou

These players we can re-sign for roughly what they've been paid already (no real cap hit):

Andre Smith (he can play all the spots so he has utility as a backup even at his age)
Tony McRae
Darquez Dennard (was injured most of this year on his "prove it" contract so probably will sign another 1 year deal with the same terms)

Edit: We probably would have enough left over to resign Eifert for $5 million (keeping $7 million for mid-season injuries and $8 million for rookie signings). 

Reply/Quote
I don't see the Bengals going out and spending in FA like you listed. That is a pipe dream. Getting any one of those FA would be outside of the norm for the Bengals. It would be nice but not something expected. Even if the team did this, if the coaches are not swapped out as well all of that talent will go to waste.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 04:45 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: I don't see the Bengals going out and spending in FA like you listed. That is a pipe dream. Getting any one of those FA would be outside of the norm for the Bengals. It would be nice but not something expected. Even if the team did this, if the coaches are not swapped out as well all of that talent will go to waste.

I don't see the Bengals doing that either, but if they don't, it will be at least a 3-year rebuild.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 09:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't see the Bengals doing that either, but if they don't, it will be at least a 3-year rebuild.

Good stuff. It's frustrating to look at legitimate ways they can "take chances" and improve and then wonder if they're too stupid or afraid to try it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 01:19 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Good stuff. It's frustrating to look at legitimate ways they can "take chances" and improve and then wonder if they're too stupid or afraid to try it. 

After seeing Mike Brown's quote yesterday about how the Bengals are not in the business of helping other teams get better, I think it all comes down to pure philosophical approach with this organization. It's their franchise and they want to operate it the way they want.

They believe, for better or worse, that the way to being a perennial contender is through draft and development. For the positions who don't have drafted players ready to start yet, the Bengals will bring in serviceable starters to fill that void until they get a drafted player ready to take over.

This puts a lot of emphasis and pressure on the Bengals to draft the right players and have a talented enough coaching staff to develop those players. But even then, the challenge becomes retaining those players once they hit FA or convincing them to stay prior to hitting FA.

Mike Brown puts a huge price on loyalty and overvalues his players, so that's why he typically keeps players around longer than they probably should be at times. This includes bringing underperforming players back to the team when many fans think they shouldn't be brought back (e.g. Maualuga, Hart, etc).

EDIT - Part of the reason of calling this mock "A new beginning" though was because it was about a change in approach/philosophy.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 09:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: After seeing Mike Brown's quote yesterday about how the Bengals are not in the business of helping other teams get better, I think it all comes down to pure philosophical approach with this organization. It's their franchise and they want to operate it the way they want.

They believe, for better or worse, that the way to being a perennial contender is through draft and development. For the positions who don't have drafted players ready to start yet, the Bengals will bring in serviceable starters to fill that void until they get a drafted player ready to take over.

This puts a lot of emphasis and pressure on the Bengals to draft the right players and have a talented enough coaching staff to develop those players. But even then, the challenge becomes retaining those players once they hit FA or convincing them to stay prior to hitting FA.

Mike Brown puts a huge price on loyalty and overvalues his players, so that's why he typically keeps players around longer than they probably should be at times. This includes bringing underperforming players back to the team when many fans think they shouldn't be brought back (e.g. Maualuga, Hart, etc).

EDIT - Part of the reason of calling this mock "A new beginning" though was because it was about a change in approach/philosophy.

Yup. So i can see i'm getting ready to say F this team and their stupid, archaic, losing ways. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 09:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: After seeing Mike Brown's quote yesterday about how the Bengals are not in the business of helping other teams get better, I think it all comes down to pure philosophical approach with this organization. It's their franchise and they want to operate it the way they want.

As a side note...it looks like the "too stupid" part was correct in my earlier post. Mike Brown isn't in the business of helping other teams get better...

What that dummy apparently doesn't realize is that while he's "helping" another team get better with older players, he's helping himself MORE by getting the pics that they can use to get good, young players earlier in the draft. 

What a freaking moron. 

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 09:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't see the Bengals doing that either, but if they don't, it will be at least a 3-year rebuild.

Knowing they ain't going to do crap is frustrating. Makes a rebuild longer than 3yrs. This FO is very similar to the mother of Jason Vorhees that constantly defends him saying, "But he's a good kid." 

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 04:14 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Some good ideas and I like the draft. My only complaint is it seems like we're overpaying Andrew Billings, who will probably get around 3.5 million a year for three years. Trey could probably be had for 6 million a year but that is less of a gap.

With the unspent money (~$30 mil) I'd spend $10 mill to re-sign:

Nick Vigil (I know we don't love him but he's been solid and could still contribute with upgrades all around him)
Brandon Wilson (he just had that Kick Return for a TD)
Josh Tupou

These players we can re-sign for roughly what they've been paid already (no real cap hit):

Andre Smith (he can play all the spots so he has utility as a backup even at his age)
Tony McRae
Darquez Dennard (was injured most of this year on his "prove it" contract so probably will sign another 1 year deal with the same terms)

Edit: We probably would have enough left over to resign Eifert for $5 million (keeping $7 million for mid-season injuries and $8 million for rookie signings). 
SMH u lost all cred talking about resigning Nick Vigil.  good bye
Reply/Quote
would love if this happened but theres absolutley no way the bengals spend that money if any money in free agency. the front office is wayyyy too cheap to spend any money on talent like that. remember winning is not their focus.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:47 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: would love if this happened but theres absolutley no way the bengals spend that money if any money in free agency.  the front office is wayyyy too cheap to spend any money on talent like that.  remember winning is not their focus.

That's why it's called A New Beginning haha. It would mean a drastic change in approach.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:45 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: SMH u lost all cred talking about resigning Nick Vigil.  good bye

Yeah I dunno. I'm also open to the idea of not re-signing him it is just...we have nothing at the position. It isn't that crazy to think he'll continue to improve the longer he plays. I'm not saying he's good but relative to what we have now...

Reply/Quote